Beating the competition before an auction takes place in TEXAS

7 Replies

When wanting to purchase a tax deed from a owner that is behind in taxes in the state of Texas, Can I pay-off the outstanding taxes and take ownership of the deed immediately on HC-TAX.net website, so I can eliminate competition at the auction or do I have to get in contact with the owner in order to get the deed prior to the auction and reach an agreement with him/her? I'm trying to race against the clock and do this before others and beat competition and possibly price.

I doubt it since the homeowner can pay the back taxes before the auction takes place.

@Thomas Clinton   In Texas, there is nothing for you to buy until the auction.  If you pay the back taxes on a property you have done nothing but given the property owner a gift.

Be very careful, trying to circumvent the Tax Sale.  

I tried to get a piece of property in Navarro County.  The lady was behind on taxes and was going to be in the Tax Sale.  I offered her $5K and I was going to clear taxes, she was eager to jump at the deal.

Fortunately, I went to the County Clerk and found other problems, I was not going to be able to get clean title.  The property did bring more than I was willing to give, but I could have wound up with a house without clean title.  

I like the Sheriff's Deed, after 2 years I have been able to get title insurance for any sale.  

@ronflatt Thanks for the immediate feedback, a sheriffs deed auction sounds a lot more safe and less risky, but I have heard about buying redemption rights to alleviate the 2 yr. wait for homestead properties during tax deed sales, have you?

Did you see house of sand and fog? what an excellent movie about this very issue

I am a buy and hold investor generally.  The houses, I get rent ready and rent while waiting for the redemption period to expire.  Lots -  I clean up and sell after the shorter redemption period on Owner financing.  Land- I either lease it out or run a few cows on it until redemption period is over.  There is always a way.  

My attorney said the ways around the redemption period were more costly than just waiting.  

In Houston, you may have too much invested.  I go to counties where I do not have as much competition and are close to home.  

Tax Sales can be a great experience and lucrative.  You can also be bit in the behind.  

Follow me or pm and we can discuss them more.  I always welcome fresh ideas and sometimes I can even answer a question or two.  

The other bad thing about tax sales, you have to decide where you are going.  I was after 4 properties on the 2 of January, when I arrived all for had been pulled from sale.  Well Maybe next month.  

Good luck

The Flatt

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here