Beating the competition before an auction takes place in TEXAS

Beating the competition before an auction takes place in TEXAS

Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote

When wanting to purchase a tax deed from a owner that is behind in taxes in the state of Texas, Can I pay-off the outstanding taxes and take ownership of the deed immediately on HC-TAX.net website, so I can eliminate competition at the auction or do I have to get in contact with the owner in order to get the deed prior to the auction and reach an agreement with him/her? I'm trying to race against the clock and do this before others and beat competition and possibly price.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hillsboro, TX · Member since 2017 · 358 posts · 245 votes
8y

Be very careful, trying to circumvent the Tax Sale.  

I tried to get a piece of property in Navarro County.  The lady was behind on taxes and was going to be in the Tax Sale.  I offered her $5K and I was going to clear taxes, she was eager to jump at the deal.

Fortunately, I went to the County Clerk and found other problems, I was not going to be able to get clean title.  The property did bring more than I was willing to give, but I could have wound up with a house without clean title.  

I like the Sheriff's Deed, after 2 years I have been able to get title insurance for any sale.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 827 votes
    8y

    I doubt it since the homeowner can pay the back taxes before the auction takes place.

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Thomas Clinton   In Texas, there is nothing for you to buy until the auction.  If you pay the back taxes on a property you have done nothing but given the property owner a gift.

  • Investor · Hillsboro, TX · Member since 2017 · 358 posts · 245 votes
    8y

    Be very careful, trying to circumvent the Tax Sale.  

    I tried to get a piece of property in Navarro County.  The lady was behind on taxes and was going to be in the Tax Sale.  I offered her $5K and I was going to clear taxes, she was eager to jump at the deal.

    Fortunately, I went to the County Clerk and found other problems, I was not going to be able to get clean title.  The property did bring more than I was willing to give, but I could have wound up with a house without clean title.  

    I like the Sheriff's Deed, after 2 years I have been able to get title insurance for any sale.  

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @ronflatt Thanks for the immediate feedback, a sheriffs deed auction sounds a lot more safe and less risky, but I have heard about buying redemption rights to alleviate the 2 yr. wait for homestead properties during tax deed sales, have you?
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @Ron flatt
  • Fairway, KS · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Did you see house of sand and fog? what an excellent movie about this very issue

  • Investor · Hillsboro, TX · Member since 2017 · 358 posts · 245 votes
    8y

    I am a buy and hold investor generally.  The houses, I get rent ready and rent while waiting for the redemption period to expire.  Lots -  I clean up and sell after the shorter redemption period on Owner financing.  Land- I either lease it out or run a few cows on it until redemption period is over.  There is always a way.  

    My attorney said the ways around the redemption period were more costly than just waiting.  

    In Houston, you may have too much invested.  I go to counties where I do not have as much competition and are close to home.  

    Tax Sales can be a great experience and lucrative.  You can also be bit in the behind.  

    Follow me or pm and we can discuss them more.  I always welcome fresh ideas and sometimes I can even answer a question or two.  

    The other bad thing about tax sales, you have to decide where you are going.  I was after 4 properties on the 2 of January, when I arrived all for had been pulled from sale.  Well Maybe next month.  

    Good luck

    The Flatt

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.