Jobs to work while starting Real Estate Investing Career?

3 Replies

Hi everybody! I am curious as to whether there is a job that will provide a decent income and be beneficial for a multi-family real estate investor. I have a degree in finance and marketing, I currently am a credit analyst at a local bank, and I plan to house hack in Des Moines and branch out to a bigger city after some experience/cash saved up. I know having a real estate license would help, but if I plan to branch out to bigger city's is it worth the time to acquire and build a name for myself? Or is there another job that might be better?  

@Jalen Henningsen Great question!  Any role that would give you experience in the multifamily business would give you a leg up as an investor.  That could be as a lender, seller or property manager and each of these roles looks somewhat different depending on the type of multifamily real estate (duplexes, 4plex, 25, 50, etc)  you are planning to invest in.

Find a successful property management company. The larger ones have a variety of positions like administrative assistant, leasing agent, property manager, bookkeeping, etc. This is a great way to learn about managing rentals, earn a paycheck, and position yourself to get a license or start investing.

Being part of a PM group would go great with multifamily.  You could also consider the lending side of things as it would allow you to take a business with you where ever you decide to call home in the upcoming years.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.