Memphis / Oxford New Investor Help!

5 Replies

Note: I am only a little over a month in deciding to learn more about real estate, but have been researching like crazy! I feel decent about my ability to run numbers, but I am currently feeling a little overwhelmed on how to choose a property. There is so much out there!  I have been looking in Greater Memphis Area and Oxford, MS. Anyone have any suggestions on narrowing down the choices? I am currently using Zillow and Realtor.com apps to look for properties. Looking at the Zillow rental map​ in Cordova, TN (suburb of Memphis) and Oxford, MS, it appears the area is saturated with rentals. Should this deter me from investing in these locations? I appreciate all the input offered! Thanks, Tony

Tony, 

My partner lived in oxford for many years and just recently moved to Hernando. He owns properties in oxford as well as Memphis and collierville. If you like I can arrange a call for you to speak with him and he might be able to give you insight into these markets. PM me if you are interested, thx 

@Tony Haas - hi! Just curious why you wouldn’t focus on Oxford since you live there?  I would assume student housing would be big there.

If you are looking for on market properties though those apps, why don’t you use a realtor as well? 

Also definitely don’t let the percentage of rentals turn you away from looking.  Half of my neighbors rent and I’m always looking for a good deal here.

Best of luck!  Keep ya posted!

@Tony Haas

Cordova has performed well in our portfolio of sfrs. collierville is a great neighborhood but cap rates are lower. 

bartlett is another great rental area. I am not familiar with Oxford Ms, but Southaven. Olive branch and Hernando are performing well

@Tony Haas try not to be overwhelmed, we sometimes allow the fear of getting into something new like real estate investing paralyze us from taking action. You will most likely learn a ton about the kind of investor you want to be after buying the first one and trust me that is something that will continue to evolve as you become more experienced. I'd say pick something as close to where you live that makes sense with your numbers and go from there! Take massive imperfect action and you will reap the rewards! As far as investor dominated areas go, I think it is fine to invest there! They are areas dominated by investors because they are proven money making areas. Where this becomes a slight negative is when you try to exit the property. Investor dominated areas make your likely option of exit selling to other investors, which typically means no appreciation. But if you purchase for cash flow (highly recommended) then you should have a problem selling down the road for no appreciation.

Thanks for all replys! Definitely appreciate the feedback.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here