Luke Turner
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
House hacking. What next? Flipping or B&H

Luke Turner
  • Lansing, MI
Posted Feb 27 2018, 08:30

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the middle of a house hack. It's a single family with 4 beds. I have the other 3 bedrooms rented out.

Since May, I've been rehabbing the house, mostly doing my own work. Once it's fully finished I'm going to refinance the house and buy another house.

My question is would you flip the next house to build more capital or would you rent out your next house?

A few things to note:

I'm 21 and really want to quit my job. I make about 50k a year. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Martel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Feb 27 2018, 14:46

You're 21 and make $50k a year! Damn! Good work.

And it all depends on your goals. If you want to quit your job then you probably want that stable cash flow so maybe it would best to hold on to that property and rent it out....

User Stats

Votes
Kristina Heimstaedt
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Newport Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Newport Beach, CA
Replied Feb 27 2018, 15:03

@Luke Turner couple things to consider.

1. Stability

2. Where we are in the market

3. Your time

If I were in your shoes, I would look at a couple things. Yes, flipping is attractive and can get you a big check quickly. However, it is a significant time investment as well as capital investment to make that work. If you have saved enough money from your job to purchase, fund the flip and live, maybe it's worth it. 

On the flip side, B&H, as you put it, is very attractive and I think you'd find that most investors wish they had never sold x, y, z, properties with 20/20 hindsight even if the wealth that you build there feels painfully slow. That being said, rent growth has been very stable and is much more impervious to the cyclical sales market. 

Everyone's answers to this question are different because we are all at different stages of our lives and have different personalities. The bonus of being young is that ideally you are more resilient, but you need to make that call for yourself.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Luke Turner
  • Lansing, MI
Votes |
  • Lansing, MI
Replied Feb 27 2018, 15:56

Thanks for the reply. My long term goal is to have enough B&Hs to live off, but that would mean many more years at my job. A flip would get me out of my job sooner, but wouldn't help me out as much long term. I've been flipping back and forth between what I think is best for me, just wanted some extra insight from people who have been in my shoes.

User Stats

Votes
Elbert D.
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur / Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 27 2018, 18:32

I would say have some form of strategy. Do a flip or two then use those funds to buy and hold then start another fix and flip. It’s so many ways to go about real estate......