Should I buy my first home with my situation or wait

3 Replies

I am looking for my first home. Either a single family to house hack or a small multi family. I got approved on a loan. Only for about 120,000k which doesn’t get much in my area. My credit is average and I have about 13,000 in consumer debt. I have a very strict plan and have been working 3 jobs and started 2 business (side hustles) to pay that off and get my credit up. I am extremely motivated and focused and should have it payed of by end of summer and have my credit score up..... I really want to get into own house but know getting rid of that debt would get me a better loan and free up cash and make me a lot more stable in my first home. As I am not sitting on much for a saving s account... The kicker here is my mom is willing to co-sign and put up a down payment to help me get started. If I use her I can probably get into a place soon. But I would rather do it on my own. And either way I should probably take care of my personal finances first. Thoughts????

Use your money to get all of your consumer debt gone, then save up a bit and have your Mom help you out on this first one. Get a duplex or similar that you can get some rental income from while you live there essentially for free. 

PS: I assume your consumer debt is greater than 10% interest. That's a good return on your money. 

I agree with @JD Martin - While you are really exited and motived right now, it makes sense to think smartly. What will help you be better off in the long run and obtain your goals faster? What would you tell a friend if they were in your situation? It sounds like you are already leaning towards paying off your debt which is great. And during that time, gain as much knowledge as possible. This will help keep you motivated. Then, when your debt is gone you might be able to make a more informed decision with all the knowledge you gained and get a better property!

Best of luck!!

@Dillyn Davidson Saurdiff . If I were in your shoes, I would focus on getting ride of debt first. The reason is that you don't want to carry bad debt. While you are working on cleaning up you debt, you could also work on improving your knowledge in Real Estate and get familiar with all the other Real Estate investment strategies, Learn how to analyze random deals, ... etc. When the time comes and you find a real opportunity, you should be able to know quickly if it is a deal or not. 

(919) 434-3132

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.