Votes
Noelle Robinson
  • Olympia Fields, IL
Votes |
16 year old Interested in Real Estate

Noelle Robinson
  • Olympia Fields, IL
Posted Apr 9 2018, 18:25

Hi, I'm Noelle, I'm from Chicago and currently reside here, and I'm 16. My dad piqued my interest in real estate since he rents buildings and does flips here and there, however he's not very....willing to share his expertise with me until I'm in/out of college since he doesn't want me relaying any information to my mother. It's a whole thing. I'm here because I'd like to learn more about real estate (especially what do to when you're first starting!), wholesale buying, and flipping houses. Specific topics I need help with are: should I look into majoring in business as related to real estate (perhaps getting an MBA) or is this a waste of time, when should I try to buy my first property (as in how much money should I be looking to spend), what type of property would be best (apartment building for rent, SFH, wholesale, etc), what banks would be best to get a loan from should I need one, business and real estate books/ebooks I should read, and the pitfalls/rookie mistakes beginners make.

After a little reading here and there, I figured my best plan is to save up while I'm in college and then buy a 2-3 flat, live in one apartment, and rent out the rest so my tenants essentially pay the mortgage. While that sounds easy enough, that doesn't leave much net profit! Is this even a feasible option for a kid straight out of college? How do I maximize my profit and work towards a 6-figure "salary" by the time I'm 30? I have so many questions! 

I know I must seem like I'm moving too fast for my age but I don't want to be a person who goes to college, gets a degree, graduates, and then goes, "Well, now what?" I want to have a PLAN and know what I'm going to do so that I can have a comfortable lifestyle as soon as possible. From what I've heard, debt is the worst!

Please respond, anything helps!!

Loading replies...