Advice For an Out of State Investor Buying in Ohio

8 Replies

I've been studying real estate opportunities for a little over a year now. I understand the vocabulary, but I'm looking to dive in. Currently looking for a triplex or small apartment building around the Dayton area in Ohio, preferably closer to Wright Patterson AFB. I am however, open to comparable comps. I am a first time investor and I would be an out of state investor. I know this is a rookie post, but any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Welcome Cameron!  Sounds just like how I got started last year.  Talk to @Roger Smart , he can hook you up with the local MLS and start finding you deals. If you are ever back home, networking at the local BP meetups run by @Darrin Carey is awesome.  

@Charlie Cameron , thanks for the mention! @Cameron Silva , I am a Dayton Local Agent and Investor. I help local and out of state investors purchase and sell profitable properties in the Greater Dayton Area. I would love to have the chance to talk to you. I will send you a direct message with my contact information. I look forward to speaking with you soon. 

@Lane Kawaoka  Overall, this is a stable rental market with slow rent increases (lots of supply). I've generally pushed rents up about 5% to 7% from last year, but didn't get much increase for a couple years before that. if I do appearance and energy upgrades I get superior rent for the neighborhood.

The precise location of your building will impact your ability to increase rent.

@Darrin Carey , Thanks for reaching out. I know the safe and common advice is to rent where you know. In my case the California market is a little too hot right now. I chose Dayton for a few reasons, I went to school there so I have some familiarity with the area as well as a network to work with. I believe the city officials and local businesses are heavily promoting growth, i.e. G.E. recently established a facility there, coupled with the track record of being an industrious city. Also, the stability of WPAFB is a nice bonus. Some of my assumptions may be just that, assumptions, but I'd love to learn more from you about the REI climate around the Dayton area.

@Cameron Silva

I’ve worked with oos investors in the past on similar type deals. I have a good working knowledge of the area so if you ever want to chat I’d be happy to help anyway that I can. Good luck and happy hunting in Dayton. I believe this to be a great place to invest 

Ozzy Smith, Real Estate Agent
(937)572-7931

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.