Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Denise Duffy
Votes |
Making our first purchase

Denise Duffy
Posted Dec 9 2018, 18:24

My husband and are making a bid on our first property. The house will have a market value round $75,000 after improvements. Purchase price is going to be $30,000 and the property needs around $10,000 in improvements. My question is should we buy with cash or just put 20% down and take out a loan.

User Stats

Votes
Jason D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Petersburg, Fl
Replied Dec 9 2018, 18:30
@Denise Duffy I would pay cash. Finding a loan that small will be difficult and expensive when compared to the price.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Mittermeier
  • Property Manager
  • Little Rock, AR
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Little Rock, AR
Replied Dec 9 2018, 18:30
@Denise Duffy that really depends on how much you will have in the bank after that. Do you plan to buy and hold? I'm assuming it's a flip?
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Denise Duffy
Votes |
Replied Dec 9 2018, 18:43

Adam, This is our first investment so most of our cash will be tight up for a couple of months. I plan on renting out this home and taking out a mortgage on the property after rehad to get our cash and profit out and move onto the next propery.

User Stats

Votes
Clifford G.
  • Real Estate Professional
  • CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • CA
Replied Dec 11 2018, 13:48
Originally posted by @Denise Duffy:

My husband and are making a bid on our first property. The house will have a market value round $75,000 after improvements. Purchase price is going to be $30,000 and the property needs around $10,000 in improvements. My question is should we buy with cash or just put 20% down and take out a loan.

Hey Denise, congrats on making a move on your 1st property. If I was in your shoes and your ARV is conservative I would make a cash offer.

1. You will have a very quick closing. And potentially be more competitive depending on the sellers motivation. Could you even offer a lower amount?

2. If this will strap you for cash consider getting a partner in the deal. This could reduce the stress of putting it all on your shoulders.

3. While your doing the rehab you could start applying for loans to do a cash out refi. Which would be a good idea to start calling your local banks and get a feel for what they would be looking for. 

If you have done the analysis don't get paralysis :-). Hope it turns out well. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it turns out!