How do i know I'm getting a Great Deal w/ HML?

How do i know I'm getting a Great Deal w/ HML?

Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes

My wife and I are newbies in this Real Estate investing and we are looking to rehab and sell properties. A HML is offering me 30% Down on a 150k Stated Loan with a possible 7 to12% interest loan. We currently have a low credit scores due to little to no credit history but have over 125k in cash reserves. We don't know if its a good deal or what questions to ask or what to look for. Can someone help us understand? We are very grateful for any advice. God bless!

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
7y

If you credit score is low,that not terrible for hard money, I have seen a lot higher, how many points is he charging?

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
    7y

    If you credit score is low,that not terrible for hard money, I have seen a lot higher, how many points is he charging?

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Tim 1.5 points

  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    7y
    @Ben Ortiz a good HML will charge 2-4 points.. normally paid upfront. LTV of 70-80% of the purchase price. If they offer repairs as well 80-100% of purchase price. Get the book the flipping blue print by Luke Weber. Very good book for beginners. Also I see you live in Tampa. I also live there. You should check out the local REIA meetings.
  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
    7y
    Sounds good, I would give him a try.  One last thing, check to see how much apprasial fee is and make sure he's not charging any crazy doc fees or because you have purple socks fee, or doc fee or some other crazy fee.

    Originally posted by @Ben Ortiz:

    @Tim 1.5 points

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I appreciate you Tim! Thank you for taking time on helping me. Stay awesome brother :-) I will check on the fees. Great advice!

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @ Tamatha, Thank you so much! I will get the book. Yes, I am a member of Tampa Bay REIA and attended my first meeting Monday. It was awesome and I'm excited about this venture. Hopefully you and I can meet one day. Thank you for taking time on helping a newbie like me :-)

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    One easy thing to do is compare different HML. Is he asking for up front fees?

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @John, they said that the points will be added to the loan. Not sure if any upfront fees are requested. I will ask

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    As a loan originator and investor-friendly agent, I see a lot of my investors use a variety of lenders and mortgage brokers. I would look into a lot of the fees/points. I just had one of my experienced investors use a new mortgage broker to get him a loan. The mortgage broker took 2 points and the lender took 2 points, that was nearly 12k. There's a lot of junk fees that get added in as well. Also make sure you factor a flood insurance policy if the home is in a flood zone. You can do your different research with lenders but if you have some friends that flip, I would ask them who they've had a good experience with. I noticed investors have a tendency to go with the cheapest lender they find however that doesn't always mean their the best option. Some can be a real pain and pull "stunts" before closing... Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    @Ben Ortiz ask for a copy of the loan documents they make you sign at closing. You will be surprised of all the additional fees they will try to squeeze in there. Get any fees, payments, and closing costs in writing. I paid 11% and 2 points for my first HML. It was 80% total cost (purchase and rehab). I had a good credit score.

  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ben Ortiz:

    My wife and I are newbies in this Real Estate investing and we are looking to rehab and sell properties. A HML is offering me 30% Down on a 150k Stated Loan with a possible 7 to12% interest loan. We currently have a low credit scores due to little to no credit history but have over 125k in cash reserves. We don't know if its a good deal or what questions to ask or what to look for. Can someone help us understand? We are very grateful for any advice. God bless!

     Hey Ben

    30% down is normal for your first deal.  You should be able to nail down the interest rate a little better.  It sounds okay, but remember, never pay any points up front.  Lots of scammers out there.  Real lenders get paid on performance, not by taking people's application fees.  The only thing you should pay out of pocket would be a fee that goes toward the appraisal or credit report.

    Your reserves seem fine because you'll probably need 3 month's PITI. You will probably need a 600 credit score as well.

    Best of luck

    Stephanie

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Stephanie P. @Frank Geiger, thank you so much! I will absolutely check the loan docs for crazy fees. Awesome advice!! I'm forever grateful for your help. God bless you all :-) 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Joseph Ferrante, thanks buddy I will diffently reach out to you. I appreciate you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.