I'm looking to connect with fellow investors who invest out of state as long term buy and hold in good cash flow markets. What areas have worked for you? How do you like the team you work with? How did you find your team? What are some lessons you have learned along the way?
I invest in my state but where I live and invest are 3 hours apart.
1. Join the local REIA's, the investor communities are pretty tight so you will get referrals and folks who will tell you who the real deal is and who isn't. The thing with REIA's is that they are everywhere so definitely check them out.
2. Real Estate Agent -I had to kiss a few frogs before finding the right "one". Once you find an agent that knows the area and understand what you are looking to achieve, this becomes a beautiful match. I made a lot of calls until I found the right agent that was willing to work (and return a phone call).
3. Local Home Depot/Loews -Surprisingly this is a great place to network. I found my contractor here (who is amazing) which was a referral from a lady who ran the kitchen/bath department at the local home depot.
A lesson I learned was you don't have to saddle yourself up to the first person you meet. If you are patient, you'll attract the right people to your team.
I invest in my state but where I live and invest are 3 hours apart.
1. Join the local REIA's, the investor communities are pretty tight so you will get referrals and folks who will tell you who the real deal is and who isn't. The thing with REIA's is that they are everywhere so definitely check them out.
2. Real Estate Agent -I had to kiss a few frogs before finding the right "one". Once you find an agent that knows the area and understand what you are looking to achieve, this becomes a beautiful match. I made a lot of calls until I found the right agent that was willing to work (and return a phone call).
3. Local Home Depot/Loews -Surprisingly this is a great place to network. I found my contractor here (who is amazing) which was a referral from a lady who ran the kitchen/bath department at the local home depot.
A lesson I learned was you don't have to saddle yourself up to the first person you meet. If you are patient, you'll attract the right people to your team.
I'm in a similar situation to Rachelle in that I invest in state, but my properties are all over an hour from where I live. This has led me to treat them more like out of state investments.
I invest primarily in Eastern Wisconsin (Milwaukee and Racine) because the rent to price ratio is pretty good. I've also been looking at Rock County (southern Wisconsin - Janesville & Beloit) but have yet to jump into that market.
I found my team through networking here on BP. I searched and made posts about my local markets to find investors to connect with and get recommendations. I love my team in Milwaukee but am disappointed with my team in Racine.
Overall, PM will make or break your success. Focus on finding the right PM for you, and if you can't find one in the market you're looking, then maybe that market isn't right for you. I found a great PM in Milwaukee (two actually) while my Racine PM leaves a lot to be desired. I will be either selling that property this summer, or finding a new PM.
Very exciting that you are becoming an out-of-town investor. Here are some suggestions if you want to succeed at investing out of your area:
How to go about finding your team?
Congrats on starting your out-of-state investment portfolio! BiggerPockets is a great forum to help you solve issues or concerns.
@Christine Lawrence I Flip a lot In Cleveland Ohio and now that I have my construction company rolling, I’ve realized that when I start working with someone who’s really solid, I hold onto them for life. I’ve structured my construction company to do projects on my own, so I keep the best deals usually for myself, but I do have the capabilities of subbing out my guys to do larger scale construction products projects for other investors. So I would definitely say that when you work with someone really solid try to keep them busy. Same thing with a good realtor and obviously networkingwIn Cleveland Ohio and now that I have my construction company rolling, I’ve realized that when I start working with someone who’s really solid, I hold onto them for life. I’ve structured my construction company to do projects on my own, so I keep the best deals usually for myself, but I do have the capabilities of subbing out my guys to do larger scale construction products projects for other investors. So I would definitely say that when you work with someone Really solid try to keep them busy. You can usually get better prices out of them, or partner with them on things.
@Kenny Dahill, Thank you so much for the really great pointer. This is very helpful information.
@Veera Vala, absolutely! Hopefully it helps you find success.
Hey - would love to connect and help out!