• Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
$50,000... Where would you start?

Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Posted May 20 2019, 14:20

Hello all! My wife and I are new to the Real Estate Investing world, and are excited about what could be! End goal for us is to be able to retire and drink mai tai's on the beach without a care in the world. Between now and then would like to build a portfolio that will allow us to retire by age 55 at the latest, while maybe even providing some cashflow into our pockets along the way. We will retire with two pension's that would allow us to live comfortably, but any and all extra funds to give us play money for our lives to travel and live in paradise really gets us excited.

By next February, we will have 50K cash to put into an investment. After much research and reading/listening to podcasts, I am particularly drawn to turnkey investments because of the passive nature of the investment that would allow us to focus on our current careers, however with 50K limits us in the amount of properties we can purchase. Below I have attached a spreadsheet of some numbers that I have put together showing the income from two investment properties with some money coming in from our own income to supplement saving for future investments. 

I keep listening to podcasts and reading about how people added 7 properties in their first two years and how awesome they are, but looking at realistic numbers this seems out of the question for us. I assume the people on these podcasts 1.) Take REI as a fulltime job to do this, and 2.) Start with more money than us. Is there something else that I am missing. Overall goal for starting is to maximize what our money can do for us. I have also read about the BRRRR strategy, however with zero experience in this industry thus far, the risk becomes much higher in not having a developed team yet.

Want to get any and all opinions/advice as to what you would do, or if there is something that I have overlooked, especially in the realm of turnkey and creating the ability to acquire more properties without years in between. I realize that this is a long term investment and we have 25 years until we are looking at being retired.

Thanks!

Loading replies...