Columbus Ohio Investment on a Rental

Columbus Ohio Investment on a Rental

Long Island NY · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 8 votes

Hi everyone, I am looking into purchasing a buy and hold rental property in Columbus, OH. I am new to real estate investing, and would love some insight on any reputable company that could assist me with this. Any neighborhoods you would recommend? I am from NY, so this would be a long distance rental. 

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 13 votes
7y

Hi Laura, if you are looking downtown, look at the Franklinton neighborhood. A lot of investment and development is headed that way. For the suburbs, I would look at some of the less costly ones, Hilliard, Gahanna, Obetz. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 170 votes
    7y

    Pleasure meeting on Bigger Pockets!

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hi Laura, if you are looking downtown, look at the Franklinton neighborhood. A lot of investment and development is headed that way. For the suburbs, I would look at some of the less costly ones, Hilliard, Gahanna, Obetz. 

  • Long Island NY · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Thank you @John Manner 

  • Rental Property Investor · Blacklick, OH · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    @Laura Gianiotis Welcome.  What is your criteria for your buy and hold?  I ask because downtown is very different from suburbs 

  • Long Island NY · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Ryan Mainwaring I am thinking downtown 

  • Rental Property Investor · Blacklick, OH · Member since 2016 · 286 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    @Laura Gianiotis Great.  What type of property are you looking for?  There are a ton of options

  • Alan McClainPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    If you are looking for a long term buy and hold with strong cash flow potential I would recommend Franklinton as well. The area is upcoming as it has great location near downtown. Also, it has been designated as an "opportunity zone", increasing demand for large development projects. You can see this is already having an impact in the Gravity and Gravity 2 project. I currently have 3 rental units there and looking for more. 

    One of the risks you have to consider is that it currently is a C class neighborhood and there are parts of the area in a flood zone. I would recommend checking the FEMA website to see if you would have to obtain renters insurance. Being a C class neighborhood, there is still a decent amount of crime and one of my properties was broken into.

    Given the risks, I still find this a great opportunity. Many investors consider this area the "Short North" of 10 years ago. You can research property values and see how well an investment in the Short North would have came out to today.

    Hope this helps.

  • Property Manager · Columbus, OH · Member since 2012 · 309 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    There's like 50 different threads with this exact question about Columbus. Please use the search function.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.