Votes |
$Dental School Debt vs. house hacking

Wyatt Polk
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • South Jersey
Posted Jul 11 2019, 07:20

Hi Bigger Pockets Family,

Looking for advice here! All comments are welcome and thank you in advance. My fiancé recently finished her residency and is working full time as a dentist. We both make pretty good salaries and combined bring in before taxes around 185,000. On the flipside we have massive debt. Mine is around 50, while hers is around $400,000 due to out of state dental school. Crazy, I know. We have been interested in slowing building our real estate portfolio through educating, networking, and of course action! We are planning on a house hack to begin as this may help us cut costs as we are currently renting. Any advice on if this amount of student loan debt would be too much to invest? We are in our mid twenties, and have heard several about people investing with tons of debt, and vice versa. However I wanted to see if anyone could shed personal experience, or advice in general? Thank you! 

Side note: We live very frugally plan on paying the debt back within 5-6 years maximum! We budget every month and know our goals for this, thats why although the number will and would alarm most, based off our ages, incomes, and potential to grow we are excited rather than deterred. 

Loading replies...