Is it ok to have more than one real estate agent?

Is it ok to have more than one real estate agent?

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes

First post, new to the REI world, so many questions. As I am looking for my first deal, would it be fine to have more than one agent looking for deals for me?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
7y

@Andy Diaz  I tell the agents I am a free agent.  If they bring me a deal they get the sale.  Be upfront about it.  Now, this was not how I started and I am in a position now where I can dictate a bit to agents and brokers.  I have had a few say they wanted buyer rep agreements and I just say no, thank you.   ALWAYS be upfront and let them know.  What they are worried about is them bringing you a deal and you cutting them out of it by going around them.  NEVER do that, never...your reputation will bring you more deals than anything else.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Andy Diaz

    Hi Andy,

    We use one buyer's agent per market area we are considering. We network with many more than that but only one represents us as buyers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Andy Diaz  I tell the agents I am a free agent.  If they bring me a deal they get the sale.  Be upfront about it.  Now, this was not how I started and I am in a position now where I can dictate a bit to agents and brokers.  I have had a few say they wanted buyer rep agreements and I just say no, thank you.   ALWAYS be upfront and let them know.  What they are worried about is them bringing you a deal and you cutting them out of it by going around them.  NEVER do that, never...your reputation will bring you more deals than anything else.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Thanks!! this is great, I just feel that it'd go faster if I have more than one person looking for deals, but I agree it might not be fair.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I think you can't go wrong if you're up front about it. I imagine some real estate agents will not want to work under this system. That's ok too. But it's already been said, if an agent brings you a deal you better work through that deal with that agent and not another agent. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick@Andy Diaz Where I have an issue with agents and specifically with ones who want a rep agreement is this....if they bring me something off the MLS...that is not what I want...I too can spend 5 seconds setting up an alert.... Any broker who is truly going to bring real off-market deals or early deals etc isn't going to care about an agreement as they have what is valuable, the deal. Once you have a representative agreement then they get paid even if you do all the work...no thank you, I would rather give that to the listing agent and have a better chance of the deal closing. I have never bought anything other than from the listing agent for anything larger that 7 units...

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Richard Sherman

    I’ve never signed an exclusive agreement with an agent. I’ve worked with an exclusive agent in a certain area I was focusing on, with nothing in writing. And she brought me many deals, and a few of those worked out. And I’ve worked with other agents at the same time, but not overlapping areas. I like loyalty. But like you, if I find my own deal I don’t want to necessarily be held to a contract with an agent. I’m closing on a duplex next week with no agents involved.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick  Good work!  Yeah, I like you am not opposed to agents at all, but I want them to be properly motivated to bring me the deal and faster than anyone else!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.