Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paul Eckelberry
Votes |
25th birthday, time to harness real estate.

Paul Eckelberry
Posted Aug 7 2019, 10:24

Hey guys! 

I'm super excited to be posting in this forum. I'm eager to get started building wealth through real estate and I am in the middle of reading BRRRR by David Greene.

I own a house in the west side of Columbus, 43204 zip code. The neighborhood itself is nice but the surrounding areas such as the Hilltop are not very nice. 

The house was originally appraised for 90,000 and the original loan was for 70,000. Since purchasing it a few years ago my loan payoff is now 63,000 and my lender says I have $54,000 in equity. This I’m sure is an inflated appraisal due to the market which they have at 117,000. It’s a 3 bedroom 1 bath. 

My original plan was to live in the house and flip it with a buddy and then sell in spring 2021 and use my equity to get into a nicer area. My buddy bailed on me but left me all the equity. I’m still in the middle of DYI renovating and it seems to be never ending. Since the beginning I have learned how much money there is to be made being an efficient investor.

Since I did not pay for the house with cash I understand I cannot reap all the benefits of the BRRRR method. I want to get into rentals but I don't know if this house is in the right area. I want to sell the house but I would have to move back in with Mom in order to use my equity to purchase another property on top of saving the little bit of surplus I make at my job each paycheck.

I’m 25 young and naive. I want to change that, I’ve always struggled with sticking to the next big idea. I absolutely need to change that because I can’t keep living like this. 

Any advice on what to do with the house? Or my next move?  

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. 

Loading replies...