Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Zack Rosenbaum
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
First Rental property (Need to move tenant out)

Zack Rosenbaum
  • Columbus, OH
Posted Aug 21 2019, 06:06

I’ve got a dilemma and could use some suggestions.

I am closing on a 4 unit at the end of August which is fully occupied on MTM leases. However with my financing I have to live in one of the units (house hack), so I will have to end the lease with one tenant.

Unit 1 4yrs. pays 825 with 4 people living there and one medium-large dog. They are a little messy but seem friendly.

Unit 2 5yrs. pays 800 with one person living there and smells like candles were used to cover marijuana scent. Not very messy and friendly.

Unit 3 8yrs. pays 750 I have not met the tenant, but it’s a mom with two kids. Kitchen was kinda dirty.

Unit 4 33yrs pays 700/month and probably has the largest unit but keeps it the cleanest. It’s a lady in her 70s (not sure her financial picture) but her son visits fairly frequently I am told.

All tenants are fairly long term and paying under market rent ~850. Units 1-3 are friends/family so slight concern that they will all move out if I end lease with one of them but they are all a lower quality tenant than the 4th unit. Tips or suggestions for approaching each unit and bringing up increasing rent to 850 as well as pushing water bill onto tenants? TIA.

Loading replies...