Property Management Software for Beginners

7 Replies

Hello Everyone!

I have two rentals here in Los Angeles (one condo and my main house while I live in the ADU).

I want to start getting very organized so that I can scale my rental side of the business easily.

I’m looking for software to help with keeping organized including the book keeping. Ideally because there will be a learning curve with this, I’m looking for something free or extremely low cost to start.

Since I’m a broker, I have the lease forms, application, and I use mysmartmove.com for the credit and criminal background checks so if the software doesn’t include it, it isn’t the end of the world.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Rick, there are a lot of different software providers and they all have strengths and weaknesses. You can't really know what is "best" for you when you have zero experience with anything. It's like having never ridden a bike and then asking people which type/brand you should buy. 

I recommend you pick one and use it. Learn what it can do, what it can't do, and make it work. After you've used it for at least six months, then you'll have enough experience to know the good and bad. If you identify problems that your software can't solve, start researching other options to find something that works better for you.

I recommend you start with Cozy.co or TenantCloud. They are both free with really inexpensive upgrades to collect online rent.

@Rick Albert Hello! 

I use TenantCloud to manage my rentals as well as run background and credit checks. Rent payments are also provided via the system. 

Some of my friends are Avail users. But I'm not aware of the options it offers. 

I do recommend you to check out several software systems to know which one is best for you.