I quit my job 2 months ago

12 Replies

A little while ago I posted on BiggerPockets asking a question of whether or not I should quit my job, it basically said "I have a real estate investor friend that has about 60 rental properties and we've developed a relationship and he is willing to pay me $25 an hour as I go and 10% of the total profits of any flip we work on. Not to mention any maintenance work on his rental properties.

I need about $2,000 a month after taxes to put some away in savings and just survive with.

So I ended hard for a while and eventually about 2 months ago I quit and I've been working with him and doing other real estate-related jobs.

So far so good. recently we just got a house under contract and are looking to close on the 10th February.

I'll try to keep you guys updated

Originally posted by @Daniel Jewell :

A little while ago I posted on BiggerPockets asking a question of whether or not I should quit my job, it basically said "I have a real estate investor friend that has about 60 rental properties and we've developed a relationship and he is willing to pay me $25 an hour as I go and 10% of the total profits of any flip we work on. Not to mention any maintenance work on his rental properties.

I need about $2,000 a month after taxes to put some away in savings and just survive with.

So I ended hard for a while and eventually about 2 months ago I quit and I've been working with him and doing other real estate-related jobs.

So far so good. recently we just got a house under contract and are looking to close on the 10th February.

I'll try to keep you guys updated

Keep up the great work! Love motivation! You got it!

@Daniel Jewell good for you, Congrats! Tell us about your bills and living arrangements. Do you have room mats or are you able to rent a room out for some extra income? Myself, I’ve got kids and my wife doesn’t won’t a stranger in our house.

Good for you! So other people know, how much were you making?  And how much are you making today? 

@Keith Yow

I worked for NOVA Community College as a "part time" state employee making $18.5ph averaging about 38 hours a week.

Living in Charlottesville va and driving 2 hours to the Nova area every day.

House payment is $942.00

Car $320

Phone $50

Food $300

Home and me $130

Saving/tax/extra $100+

Tools $100

Room 1 $450 +utilitys

Room 2. $0. Me

Room 3 $600 +utilitys

That's basically it

@Josue Vargas as of now I'm averaging about $25 ph at about 40 hours per week so a good amount more :) not including the %10 I get for flips.

My job is basically a handyman. But I also help with looking/evaluate deels and developing land for affordable housing, like manufactured homes.

Although all of this is though a handshake. Do you guys think I should get a contract saying all this?

If so I have no idea where to start and I don't really want to get a lawyer. a couple thousand dollars that I would spend on one would be more valuable somewhere else.

@Daniel Jewell Congrats to you. Keep it going.

One thing I would consider is continuing to educate yourself around the daily tasks you're doing, learning new skills and developing new talents.

That way, as you move along, you continue to provide value to your new employer AND you're getting paid to develop new skills which will only help you in the long run.

@Matt McConkey %100 agree! on some level I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it but also kind of proud, I've listened to all of the BiggerPockets podcasts and there other content And I'm making good headway on the books they've recommended.

Other then finding other ways to work in the industry and hanging out on here Im not really sure what else I can do to add value.

@Daniel Jewell You could learn about acquisitions, so get your license or help with direct mail cold calling, driving for dollars, basically helping grow the portfolio.

On the other side, you could learn a trade, get licensed as a GC or get really good at something that breaks all the time, so you don't have to hire out that task, whatever that task may be.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here