• Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
Mindset Shift: Going From a 9-5 to REI

Hannah Reichert
  • Investor
  • Spokane, WA
Posted Sep 14 2020, 13:34

Hi all! I'm new to BP though my husband has been urging me to join for awhile now. To make a long story hopefully not so long, last year after much discussion, book reading, podcast listening, etc, decided that we wanted to move our efforts towards FI (Financial Independence) or as we call it "FortyFI", our goal age for early retirement. We bought our first investment property last year and are eager to take on more. My husband will be transitioning out of the military next year (Army dentist) and we're gearing up to buy our first practice. A new move, a new chapter, means a new start for me. I have a background in social work (MSW), but not in one area precisely. I've jumped around a bit to try to find my "fit" and after much soul searching, realized I have picked up a set of valuable skills (experience with legal documents, customer service, time management, supervising others, hospitality, etc) but not necessarily a dream vocation. After growing up in a real estate family, I have spent my life convinced it was never the life for me...until now. 

My plan for our next move is to not only help with my husband's practice but also start to pave my own way towards being a true REI. For those that have gone to working your traditional 8 hour salary job to working for yourself, what was useful for you? How to plan your day? How to separate home life/work life? I am a very hands on learner so as much as I read/listen, it's hard for me to picture exactly what life is going to look like with this transition. As a planner, I must try. Any and all tips/tricks/thoughts/sage wisdom is appreciated!

Loading replies...