Cash out refinancing on first investment property

Cash out refinancing on first investment property

Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 4 votes

I’m a first time investor and just began diving into research and educating myself on all of this. I purchased a home in July of 2020 for $20,000 cash and put about $50,000 in repairs into the property with the intention of flipping it. After it was listed for a few weeks I had an offer and we went under contract. My buyer got cold feet and backed out a week before closing. My real estate agent seems to have lost interest in marketing my property as well. It has been on the market for almost three months at this point. I staged the home before listing so Ive decided to furnish it more completely to rent out on Airbnb. I plan on listing it as a short term rental on Airbnb within the next week. 

Since joining bigger pockets I've learned a lot and am very interested in the BRRRR method. How long would I have to rent out this property to qualify for a cash out refinance? I have no mortgage on the property so I have 100% equity. I have about $30,000 in the bank but my business income took a huge hit last year due to Covid. I am still bringing in about $2,000-3,000/month income as an independent contractor (which I can comfortably live on and even save a little) but I'm afraid when they look at my decline in revenue since covid I won't qualify for a loan. I would like to cash out on the equity in the home to buy another property to fix and rent or possibly flip. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated! I live in Ohio and have began searching for a mortgage broker with experience in this area in my state.

3Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

Thanks @Andrea Dees I know the location...we hang out in SE Ohio during the spring/summer...lots of great spots around Athens...the area down closer to river is historically depressed....where did the $127k come from? Did your agent do a valuation on the property?

Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Andrea Dees:

    I’m a first time investor and just began diving into research and educating myself on all of this. I purchased a home in July of 2020 for $20,000 cash and put about $50,000 in repairs into the property with the intention of flipping it. After it was listed for a few weeks I had an offer and we went under contract. My buyer got cold feet and backed out a week before closing. My real estate agent seems to have lost interest in marketing my property as well. It has been on the market for almost three months at this point. I staged the home before listing so Ive decided to furnish it more completely to rent out on Airbnb. I plan on listing it as a short term rental on Airbnb within the next week. 

    Since joining bigger pockets I've learned a lot and am very interested in the BRRRR method. How long would I have to rent out this property to qualify for a cash out refinance? I have no mortgage on the property so I have 100% equity. I have about $30,000 in the bank but my business income took a huge hit last year due to Covid. I am still bringing in about $2,000-3,000/month income as an independent contractor (which I can comfortably live on and even save a little) but I'm afraid when they look at my decline in revenue since covid I won't qualify for a loan. I would like to cash out on the equity in the home to buy another property to fix and rent or possibly flip. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated! I live in Ohio and have began searching for a mortgage broker with experience in this area in my state.

     I would reach out to @Chris Wharton for lending options here in Ohio

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Thank you Remington! 

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Andrea Dees Where is the property?

    Do I understand correctly that your purchase price was $20k?

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    @Andrea Dees Where is the property?

    Do I understand correctly that your purchase price was $20k?

    Yes, I paid $20,000 cash for the property. It should appraise for about 127,000 after all of the repairs and improvements that I made.  

    It’s located in patriot, Ohio in Gallia county 

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Thanks @Andrea Dees I know the location...we hang out in SE Ohio during the spring/summer...lots of great spots around Athens...the area down closer to river is historically depressed....where did the $127k come from? Did your agent do a valuation on the property?

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brandon Sturgill:

    Thanks @Andrea Dees I know the location...we hang out in SE Ohio during the spring/summer...lots of great spots around Athens...the area down closer to river is historically depressed....where did the $127k come from? Did your agent do a valuation on the property?


    yes, she did a valuation on the property. My buyer had the inspection and appraisal done but never paid for them before he backed out so I haven’t seen those. I’ve considered contacting the appraiser and paying for it myself so that I can have the documentation. 

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Thanks for the update @Andrea Dees sometimes that $400-500 is worth paying to get the appraisal...

    best of luck

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Amanda JacobellisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2020 · 95 posts · 43 votes
    5y

    @Andrea Dees ugh Str income won’t count with most banks for two years

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Amanda Jacobellis:

    @Andrea Dees ugh Str income won’t count with most banks for two years

    That’s what I was afraid of. I’m considering leasing long term if I can find the right tenant. How many months of regular lease payments would I need to document to count as income? 

  • Amanda JacobellisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2020 · 95 posts · 43 votes
    5y

    If you structure it as an investment property right away! Usually you can use the going rental rate for your refi or loan 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.