Looking for a broker to hang license: St Petersburg / Tampa

8 Replies

Hi - I am expecting to my pass my RE Exam this week and am looking for somewhere to hang my license as an investor.  Can you anyone recommend a broker in the Pinellas / St Petersburg or Tampa FL area?

Account Closed Welcome to Bigger Pockets

Will you do any retail sales? Do you want to learn the business?

I think it depends on your goals. If you're looking for lots of training and leads from the brokerage, then one of the big names (KW, C21, ReMax, etc) might be a good place to start.

If you're primarily an investor looking for a better commission split and you intend to be more independent and generate your own leads, then that's a different story.

I'm in a similar position in that I'm taking the exam next month. I'm in the second group above and I've been looking at http://sdrhouses.com/jointeam.html. Don't know anything about them other than what's online, so I'm interested to see if anyone who chimes in on this thread has any feedback or alternatives to consider.

Good luck!

Medium mfg logo resizedJeff Copeland MBA, The Multifamily Guy | [email protected] | 727‑235‑7988 | http://themultifamilyguy.com | FL Agent # BK3326487

@Doug Merriott - Thank you so much for your response. I would be open to doing retail sales although that is not my primary objective.  I do work full-time presently; however, my hours are pretty flexible. My goal is also to learn more about real estate but more focused on the investment side of things rather than the retail side of RE.  Hopefully that makes sense and thank you again for reaching out!

@Jeff Copeland - Thanks for the link. I will check it out and then let you know how it goes since it sounds like you might be going down this avenue as well. Happy to offer you any knowledge I've learned along the way in this process. 

If you are actually looking to learn what a real estate transaction looks like from an agent standpoint then go to KW St Pete or St Pete Beach.  Both have a lot of good agent investors.  I would spend a year or so training yourself on marketing and transactions then maybe find a smaller broker that charges less fees. That is what I did.

If you are just looking to invest then I would ask why are you going to spend a few grand a year to have your license? Will you save that much on commissions? 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I will have to find out if they will let me do my own deals. 

I did the math and it will save me some money based on my goals..I am looking to buy 3-4 SFRs.

Account Closed - Just following up. Did you hang your license yet? I just completed my licensure and I found a brokerage that looks perfect. Message me for details. Thanks!

Medium mfg logo resizedJeff Copeland MBA, The Multifamily Guy | [email protected] | 727‑235‑7988 | http://themultifamilyguy.com | FL Agent # BK3326487

Hi all! Curious as to where anyone above or anyone at all hung their license? I am looking for an investor-friendly broker in the Tampa area. Preferably South Tampa or St Pete.

My broker is perfect for the need you are describing. I am primarily an investor but also do some retail business. I pay $35 per month and a transaction fee of $350 for my personal transactions. On retail deals I only pay $290 transaction fee and keep the rest of the commission. They also have training available if you want it but they don't place a lot of requirements on you. PM me if you would like more information.