First Listing - Questions

9 Replies

Hi everyone!
I've had my MA real estate sales license for 2 years now specifically so I could utilize the MLS for investing purposes (analyzing comps, etc.). Now I am ready to take on some listings for clients! The problem, is that the broker I work for has all their trainings during the day, and I can't make it to any of them because I work a full time job during the day.
Bottom line, I have created a listing presentation, put an ad in the newspaper and put up some online advertisements, and expect to get some calls soon. I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a sort-of step-by-step rundown of what to do on a listing appointment? What do you typically show up to the property with? Do you prepare a CMA and discuss property price the same night? Do you bring an entire plan of when/amount of future price reductions and average DOM for similar properties?
I know I go, meet the client, walkthrough the property with them, build some rapport, present my listing presentation, etc. . But what I am not sure about is stuff like; when do you take pictures of the property, when do you fill out the MLS information sheet (do you do that at the property or from memory after you get back to the office?). What I'd ideally like to do, is meet the client, sell them on my service and sign a listing agreement, then get out of their hair for the evening. Then I would go back the next day or a few days later with my professional photographer, and my MLS listing sheet and take care of both at the property... How do you guys typically go about this process?

Thanks much!
Mike

I am not an agent, but reading this you are not doing your client any justice as you should learn the process and get the proper training prior to having your own listing. Put yourself in their shoes if you were selling your primary residence. Would you want an agent who does not do it full time nor is properly trained?

If your brokerage accepts part time agents then they should film their training and have it accessible online for you password protected 24/7.

Number ONE thing is why the seller is selling. High motivation answers will mean the chances of you closing the sale after taking the listing is high.

If it's to test the market or get a price only if they spend a bunch of money on your recommendation to fix up it will be much tougher to sell.   

Hi Michael,  I'm sure your broker knows you work full time so maybe you could schedule a "phone training" over your lunch break, or maybe schedule some time over the weekend or in the evening.   You are representing the brokerage so likely he/she will be willing to accomodate your schedule for some one - on - one time. 

Congrats on your listing!   

Thanks for the replies everyone, but I think I may need to rephrase the question a bit. The listing process is not a problem. As far as training, I have gone to quite a few of them over the past 2 years, but can't regularly attend. I've spoken with my broker and have been guided. I'm confident with the listing process and am comfortable doing everything exactly the way I mentioned before (meeting with client, explaining my process and going over how I will market their property, what I will do differently from other agents, signing the exclusive listing agreement, then leaving for the evening). Then I would come back as soon as possible to begin the listing process (taking all the photos, uploading the listing to the MLS, etc.). Every agent has a different process for listing appointments when they meet clients for the first time. I am simply looking to find out what other agent's processes are for going on listing appointments?
I meet with sellers frequently. I am comfortable working with people. I am confident with paperwork. I am just looking to compare how I plan to conduct myself versus how other licensed agents conduct their first meeting with a listing prospect. As far as I am concerned, a seller will get much better service if I can come back on a bright blue skied sunny day with my professional photographer and snap some nice shots of the property. Not only that, but I will be able to conduct a much more thorough walkthrough of the property if I am allowed more time. I am curious if other agents do all of these things during their first meeting or come back. Also, I'm curious if people bring a CMA with them to their first meeting?

Thanks again,
Mike's

Michael, your process seems great to me.  Not every seller will be ready to get their house on the market.  But, you can always get them signed up!

Plus, as you're going through the house you can see if any rooms need repainting, maybe the house is messy so you can tell them what they need to put away, move, etc. (You wouldn't want to take pictures of a messy house).

So, that's what we did. We met with the sellers and walked through the whole house asking questions, making suggestions, etc., and getting a signed listing. Then, we'd ask them how long they thing it'll take to get their house ready, and we schedule the photographer and that's when we'd go back out to measure and prepare the house for the MLS.

Thanks Ronald and David for the replies! My daytime plan is to have a lockbox in place for daytime showings, which of course means a buyer would need an agent representing them as well since I wouldn't give the access code to anyone but another licensed agent, but I do plan on working with another agent.
I'm glad to hear that my process sounds good! I haven't heard from too many agents about what they do on their listing appointments, so I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks!
Mike

Training only does so much. You have to learn by doing and that gives you experience. Experience to keep learning how to do things right and how to not make the same mistakes again.

You can bring a listing book to an appointment but sometimes it just isn't needed. Some people are visual and some are audible interpreters for sellers. Some will give you the listing if their gut tells them to.

If you haven't yet record yourself giving a listing presentation. We did this way,way back when I did residential over 10 years ago and it is eye opening. You see everyone when they speak or talk has this image of how they see themselves come across to people seeing and hearing them.

A bunch of times people scratch their heads wondering what went wrong with a presentation. Then they watch a video back and how other people see and hear them is totally different on the video then what they had in their minds. They key is to get the awesomeness agents think they are internally to match with the reality how  people actually see you.

When those 2 things match up is when the magic happens.