Steps to become an Unlicensed Assistant

14 Replies

Hello everyone,

I did some research about the steps involved in becoming a real estate agent unlicensed assistant in Texas but was not able to find solid information.

I would like to know how the process work, what are the required steps, what kind of fees are involved ?

Your help is much appreciated.

I assume Texas is similar in this fashion to all other states. The unlicensed assistant access to the MLS is for employees of real estate agents. Look through job postings for real estate agents seeking assistants. The access is to help that agent in their business.

Im speaking of the states Im licensed in, which is 4, so Texas could be different....but real estate commissions set regulations and to receive MLS access you need to be a licensed agent or an employee of a real estate agent. That means there assistant must receive a W2 or 1099 income from the agent and actually be employed by them. It is not allowable to have a quid pro quo, or allowed for someone to pay an agent or provide leads. It is only for employees of the agent. In any of the 4 states I am licensed in, an agent would face serious repercussions in fines and possible loss of license for breaking the law. I dont write the laws, I just follow them.

because, the purpose for allowing access to an agent's assistant, is just that, being an Assitant to the agent, in the Agent's regulated activities, and supervised by that agent.....not using the MLS acces to info for doing their own, non supervised, non agent activities. In addition to access to lock box codes for houses, there is other personal info not intended to be available to just any yahoo "posing" as an assistant to an agent.

An unlicensed assistant is just an assistant to the agent. Not an investor looking to perform licensable acts. An assistant can basically inform the public of facts only. They cannot market, access the MLS, or perform and real estate services.

from a Broker's standpoint I can't fathom why an agent or broker would get involved in this ?  We are 100% responsible for the actions of our assistant. So when your "assistant " is out there doing deals and one goes south, it will be the Broker/Agent being sued and appearing before the Real Estate Commission with their livelihood at state

Hi @Tristan S.

I can't speak for Texas but if you were in NY I would recommend you take the online 75 hour course ($100ish). Then pass the state test ($50ish), then join an investor friendly brokerage that has no monthly fees and pay for MLS access as an agent ($1000ish) get an electronic ekey (about $50 to start and then about $15 a month). For under $110 a month average you have full access as your own agent and just be done with it as a licensed agent vs an unlicensed assistant.

It sounds like to save $110 a month and 75 hours of work you both are willing to risk his license and his brokers license. The risk vs reward just doesn't seem worth it to me (would you pay him $110 if he asked you? if yes, just do it on your own). On another note if you have actual criteria on what you want (not just "deals", but 3 bed 1 bath in this district with this many square feet) I would be willing to bet that he could set you up a portal that would give you access to a majority of the information you would need within their MLS system.

I have several clients who have criteria and the system emails them everytime something new comes up. If they click on the email link it takes them to their own portal with everything active that meets their criteria. The only real difference between what they see and the agent copy is they don't get listing agents name, private remarks (small mostly useless field because most agents just copy in the public remarks) and owner name and address (which if it is listed is useless to you because even if you deal straight with the owner they are going to owe commission on the listing side if they sell to you).

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

@Mike Cumbie

great answer, that does make sense. I think it's a little more expensive here in Texas but I think that it's an alternative to consider. 

Most of the people told me not to get a licence because it would affect my investing. Do you know exactly what they meant by that?

@Tristan S.

I read that alot and don't really see why. The biggest thing (IMO) is disclose, disclose, disclose. Licensing and regulations are about protecting the general public from unfair practices.

For instance:
"Hi Mrs smith, I am a licensed real estate agent working for blah blah. Upon looking at your house I would estimate I could put it on the market for $100,000. Based on the current market conditions houses like this sell in 3 to 4 months". "I would be happy to represent you on the retail market"
"I also have a group of investors I could market it to and represent you, but so you know they are sharks and knowing how they operate they would do a 3 week close but only offer you around $65,000 based on its condition and work that needs to be done".
"I should also tell you that I have an interest in this property as well, I could offer you a cash price, quick close, no inspections etc. However I will tell you that it will be lower than the investors price and I highly recommend you get an agent to represent your interests. Because if we go that route, I will be working in my own interests" "I promise to treat you fairly and honestly, however I won't have the duty of loyalty and obedience blah blah...
"Which way would you like to go? so we can get your house sold on the best terms for you!"

If you are not licensed I know some who feel they should go to Mrs smith and say "It's worth about $10,000 I'll give you $6,000". If you can sleep at night taking that kind of money from her, then licensing would not be a good thing.

When dealing with other investors it is really just saying "hey Joe, I'm an agent" and they say "Yeah fine whatever, now lets try and rake each other over the coals and get on with it"

DISCLAIMER: I am just some dolt on the internet, any advice is meant to be ignored. Following any of it is not only not in your best interest but may result in extreme pain and suffering of anyone in your general area or the surrounding planet. Any legal advice should come from properly trained and licensed professionals in your area.

@Tristan S.  I wouldn't bother with it. In Texas the unlicensed assistant is basically relegated to being a paper pusher in the office.

We received an update from TAR a couple of weeks ago that said, due to a recent ruling, unlicensed assistants can't even open the door for a prospect to view a property.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here