Do you need to be Licensed in Maryland to Manage Real estate?

10 Replies

I am a licensed Broker in Florida, and have been asked from one of my current clients if we would be interested in taking on a large portfolio for them in Maryland. Receiving conflicting information?? Do you need a Real Estate License to lease and manage for others for compensation, and/or do you need to work under a Broker in Maryland to manage. confused????

Kim why don't you contact the real estate commission there and ask them I am sure this info would be on the website.. I would not trust random people on the internet  LOL

my guess though is you do.. their might be a few states were you don't need a license but not many if any is my thought on it.   but that does not keep tons' of moms and pops doing it anyway

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

Maryland real estate attorney here.  

Md. BUSINESS OCCUPATIONS AND PROFESSIONS Code Ann. (Maryland Real Estate Brokers Act) § 17-301. (License Required)

(b) Exceptions. -- A license is not required for:

(4) an agent of a licensed real estate broker or of an owner of real estate while managing or leasing that real estate for the real estate broker or owner;

Attorney P's interpretation - Therefore, property owners can directly hire non-real estate brokers to manage their rental properties.

Attorney P's Recommendations - You can either file as a foreign entity doing business in MD or start a new business in MD.  I think it would be wise to consider starting a new non-broker MD business and keep it separate from your FL Broker Business.

Make it clear that you're not licensed in MD and cite the exception for property management in all documents.

Get County specific MD lease agreements and property management agreements.

Find an experienced MD attorney if you need any additional help.  ;)

@Brian Pendergraft thank you, much appreciated! We spoke with the Maryland RE Commission on Friday, and were given the same information. 

Do you specialize in the Landlord tenant laws for Maryland? We have one 2 RE attorneys on retainer here in Florida, very helpful with our litigious society!!

While you don't need a license in MD, you do need a PM, brokers or associate brokers license in DC to manage property....and depending on where in MD the properties are, you might by nessecity need to include DC as a practical matter.

@Russell Brazil this really confuses me, after the conversation Friday with the Maryland RE commission, I was told that I do not need a Real Estate or Brokers License to manage property for owners. I will not be selling real estate, only managing for others???

Originally posted by @Kim Meredith Hampton :

@Russell Brazil this really confuses me, after the conversation Friday with the Maryland RE commission, I was told that I do not need a Real Estate or Brokers License to manage property for owners. I will not be selling real estate, only managing for others???

You do not in MD. You do in DC. If it is a part of MD that is in the DC metro area, then practically speaking in order to run your business you would need to be licensed in DC. A client is not going to pick a property manager that can only manager their MD properties but not their DC properties.