Virtual Reality Headsets

5 Replies

Is anyone using VR headsets with there buyers to help them find properties? If so, how? 

I'm wanting to start utilizing the technology as I can see how it could be extremely beneficial to the client, especially ones from out of province but looking for some guidance on the getting started part of it.

I don't have any real world experience with this but it crossed my mind. I'm taking my FL real estate license test this Thurs and hanging my license with eXp. My wife is working on a graphics design degree, and one of the programs in her Adobe Suite (full plethora of amazing graphics software) can edit 360° video both normal and VR, including inserting characters and other items into the video in proper spacial position. I imagine shooting a 360° video walkthrough and then handing it off to her to edit and add descriptions to certain items (ex: "Fireplace includes gas insert installed in 2014" in characters that appear to be resting on the mantle). She may even be able to virtually stage rooms on a VR walkthrough. I'd love to get a 360° camera and VR headset and throw a VR walkthrough in on my first listing as a free perk just to try it out and gauge response.
Russell Holmes, Real Estate Agent in Florida (#SL3406148)
407-777-0806

This post has been removed.

You can do what Russell suggests and have a video capture/editing team or find/start a Matterport service provider. I advocate for Matterport because it's faster, the end product is more attractive, and it has more native functionality than 360 video or 360 pictures. For example, the Matterport service generates a floorplan and doll house which provides the prospective buyer a sense of the layout of the house, which is important for most buyers. Also, It's more difficult to do a bad job and easier to do a good job with Matterport than 360 video.  

Either way, it's smart to see people getting on board with virtual tours as they are becoming increasingly popular. A recent Coldwell Banker study found 77% of home buyers want to see a virtual tour before visiting a home.

In terms of providing the service to buyers you represent, you can either have a headset at the office that will allow your clients to stop by and do virtual tours or give them a Google Cardboard with your brand on it for them to use at home. 

I just got my license (been an investor for almost 20 years).

The first thing that I did was buy a matterport 2 pro to shoot virtual 3D and 360.  I already owned a drone so I have the aerial covered.  I wanted to be able to offer a service that most others are not using to try to give me a little edge starting off. It was a little expensive ($4,000) but look at it as a small investment into starting a new business.

The pro 2 also allows you to take still pictures in 4K. It's not as good as a  professional photographer but it's as good or better than what most agents are using. 

I have some other ideas I can use the matterport to make money that is not related to getting listings. It's definitely a powerful tool that can help you differentiate yourself from the pack.

I haven't looked into the headset yet.

The VR headsets are expensive and create a feeling of disorientation, similar to vertigo. I see both aspects as barriers to effectively presenting opportunities. Maybe in a few more years we’ll see the technology work for Real Estate sales. For now Matterport seems like the best option and I e had folks that really appreciate FaceTime walkthroughs to get a ‘real feel’ for how a floor plan works. When listing I strongly rely upon at least some staging and absolutely use professional photography.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.