Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Luke Shaw
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
What should new real estate agents look for in hiring brokerages?

Luke Shaw
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Apr 5 2018, 13:01

Calling all current and former Real Estate Agents / Brokers!

I recently passed my Illinois Real Estate Broker’s test (in Illinois, Real Estate Agents are called "brokers"). Now it’s time for the fun part - I’m ready to start interviewing with Chicago area real estate brokerages. As I interview with different brokerages as a potential new Broker / Real Estate Agent, are there any specifics I should keep an eye out for, or demand from, my future brokerage? What should new real estate agents look for in hiring brokerages?

At this point (the starting point) in my career, learning the ropes through experience and quality mentorship is more important than anything else - even money. I would also like to work for a brokerage that could help me generate leads (feel free to call me out if this is a naive expectation).

What I can’t offer in experience to my future brokerage, I will make up for with drive and a willingness to learn. I don’t mind doing a little bit of everything, as long as I’m learning. I’m leaving my 9 - 5 to pursue this full time, and am ready to work a second job to support the transition (in addition to tapping the savings I have set aside for the career change). I would like to specialize in multifamily 2 flats - 4 flats, as that’s what I’d like to eventually invest in myself.

I'm not opposed to working on a team as long as I get to actively learn. 

Looking at my goals and what I can bring to the table, is there anything else I’m missing? Any specific things I should ask about during the interview process besides the usual gamut of interview questions? All the BP wisdom is appreciated. Thanks so much!

P.S. Once the local forum is working again, I might double post this in the Chicago forum. 

Tags: Chicago; real estate agent; broker; realtor; Illinois 

Loading replies...