• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
Wholesaler working with a Realtor

Travis Carpenter
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, OH
Posted Dec 28 2011, 11:51

What would be the standard as far as enough incentive for realtor(s) to market your wholesale deals to their buyers list, if we were to close with their investor?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Dec 28 2011, 12:05

The "standard" is a commission. You list with a Realtor (or licensed broker) and pay a commission. If they have a "buyer in hand", you may be able to get a reduced commission....

User Stats

Votes
Travis Carpenter
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Dec 28 2011, 12:24

Sorry I didn't clarify. I did not mean listing the property with them. Just along the same lines as a Buyers agent agreement, 3-4%. Is that the 'norm'?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Dec 28 2011, 12:50

In my state, a licensed real estate broker (which means Realtors too) cannot accept compensation from an unlicensed "person" (to include entities like LLCs, etc.) without the property being listed. I think most states operate the same way.

User Stats

Votes
Renae Bliss
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Dec 28 2011, 13:47
Originally posted by Chris Martin:
In my state, a licensed real estate broker (which means Realtors too) cannot accept compensation from an unlicensed "person" (to include entities like LLCs, etc.) without the property being listed. I think most states operate the same way.

How do we, as agents, find out what OUR state's laws are on it ahead of time?

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Dec 28 2011, 13:55
Originally posted by Renae Bliss:
Originally posted by Chris Martin:

How do we, as agents, find out what OUR state's laws are on it ahead of time?

Ask your broker. As a licensed agent, It's unlikely you'll be allowed to advertise a property without a listing agreement in place.

User Stats

Votes
Brian P.
  • Wholesaler
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Dec 29 2011, 15:49

Co-oping with a buyers agent doesn't require a listing in any state I've done stuff in and that includes North Carolina. It only requires the party receiving the fee to be licensed.

So unless they have passed some idiotic law the last few years, that is still true. But who knows what some soused up state legislator might have come up with, they aren't the brightest people in the world, just look at congress, which is why we are going to go the way of the Roman Empire.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Horwitz
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 10 2012, 09:30

1-2% might work for a few agents.

User Stats

Votes
Eric M.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Jan 10 2012, 21:10

If you think Realtors might have buyers who want your properties, and you are willing to pay a co-op fee to them, why not just list your properties on the MLS with a flat fee service for a couple hundred bucks?
You'll get exposure to a lot more Realtors than just some e-mail list you cobble together.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Martin
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Willow Spring, NC
Replied Jan 11 2012, 07:49
Originally posted by Brian P:
Co-oping with a buyers agent doesn't require a listing in any state I've done stuff in and that includes North Carolina. It only requires the party receiving the fee to be licensed.

So unless they have passed some idiotic law the last few years, that is still true. But who knows what some soused up state legislator might have come up with, they aren't the brightest people in the world, just look at congress, which is why we are going to go the way of the Roman Empire.

This comment is inconsistent with the NC real estate commission rules. See this 2003 bulletin called No Listing, No Sign, No Sale, No Service which sums it up. The 'idiotic law' is Chapter 93A.