Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Clifford Miller
Votes |
Looking for advice on getting started as a real estate agent

Clifford Miller
Posted Sep 18 2019, 19:42

Currently working a full time job in the afternoon. I aspire to be a top agent in NYC. I’ve done lots of research online and have connected with an agent who says I have a strong chance at being an agent with his brokerage. It’s a pretty small brokerage. Should I start there and work my way up? Or should I try to work for free for a huge agent and then work my way into his/her team?

Thank you so much!!!

User Stats

Votes
Amanda G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Sep 20 2019, 13:40

Bird in hand? Is the big brokerage you want to work on not hiring? Maybe call them and ask the career paths of their agents- do they only hire proven people, or do they have new people, too?

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Hosea
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beckley, WV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beckley, WV
Replied Sep 23 2019, 08:34

In my honest opinion, I would go after the number one agent in your market. I would try to be an assistant and offer as much help as possible while simultaneously having the intention of being a sponge and try to soak as much knowledge as you can from said person. Yeah, you may get a family-like atmosphere and one on one time with the small brokerage but don't you want to be the top agent in your market? Obviously, having a top producing agent will allow you to see what he/she is doing and try to apply it to your business. That's exactly what I did, and hell they may even give you leads that he/she doesn't want to deal with. It may not be an ideal client but it will help to get your feet wet and give you momentum. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes