• Chicago, IL
Votes |
Can I use listing info and photo on my website to send referrals

James O.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Nov 6 2019, 20:51

Hi,

I am a licensed as an agent in CA. I happen to have several clients/friends that are looking to to Dallas and Phoenix (I lived in both cities before so know the area well). They asked me help them find a house in a good area and refer them to an agent I trust to do the representation. If I was licensed in TX, I would have no problem with this. But I am looking to display listing info/photos from MLS on my personal business website for my clients to stay update with. Would MLS care if I do so? After all, I merely sending referrals to agents in the area.

User Stats

Votes
Lucia Rushton
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, Tx
Replied Nov 7 2019, 06:44

@James O. Hi James, I don’t know the legalities but I have heard that people get in trouble for posting deals that are not theirs. So perhaps it depends on how you present them.

If you would like assistance in Dallas, I would be delighted to help. I can also provide references from BP members. Cheers

User Stats

Votes
Kristin Kiddy
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ormond Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ormond Beach, FL
Replied Nov 7 2019, 06:59

To post MLS listings you need IDX approval from the association. Gets pretty technical and the best place to get info is from the association. There are also legal issues for using other agents' listings in your advertising. Be careful.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike Cumbie
  • REALTOR®
  • Brockport, NY
Votes |
  • REALTOR®
  • Brockport, NY
ModeratorReplied Nov 7 2019, 07:25

Hi @James O.

I would reach out to agents in the area and find a good one, then do the referral now. They will know what is hot and what is not. You aren't there as "boots on the ground". You are standing next to them. When they buy the other agent will send you the fee. Otherwise you are really just kind of in the middle for no reason without the local expertise. Sure suggest some areas that fit, but let the other agent do all the work. You will still get whatever fee you agree on regardless if you intercept listings or they work with the other agent. 

• Real Estate Agent New York (#10301216803)

Associate Broker RE/MAX TITANIUM Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chance Benjamin
  • Realtor
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Nov 7 2019, 20:32

@James O. As others have advised I would be careful with using the MLS photos/ info from an area that you are not currently in. I am not sure if your local association board would be able to answer more of those questions or if you called a local board where your client/ friends are looking would be able to help.

Where are your client/ friends looking in AZ? I lived there for 24 years and know some amazing realtors there depending on where and what they are looking for. Also, I can help out in DFW as well depending on location and what they are looking for. I would love to know more about what you are looking for in an agent for your clients and I would be more than happy to send any contact info to you for the agents I know just send me a message. 

Good luck with everything!