Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Teara Henderson
Votes |
Seeking Career change : advice needed

Teara Henderson
Posted Feb 13 2020, 13:47

I'm a 27 year old expectant mom that could use some career advice.

I have a BA in sociology/communications from UT Austin.

I consider myself in a career rut, I'm a remote agent for a high volume education sales contact center. I did not expect to find myself stuck in this role, but the work from home aspect has kept me in the position longer than I'd hoped.

4 years ago it sounded like a good option to explore my post undergrad options. I started a Masters in Journalism and found it wasn't for me. I've considered learning UI/UX and/or getting my real estate license.

I've also started driving for dollars in my area and teaching myself the REI business.

I could use some help with what direction I should take to obtain FREEDOM, especially financially. The role in currently in is stressing me out with metrics, goals and micromanagement.

Im pretty much begging for a way out. Anybody have any advice!

User Stats

Votes
Jon Reed
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Feb 17 2020, 08:25

Many of us have been/are in the same position you are in.

If you don't like your job then finding something that pays as much or more and switch. However, do not leave your job and try to dive directly into RE investing... you will just be shooting yourself in the foot because getting money is so much easier when you have a day job vs. trying to live off the cash flow of each property you purchase.

My advice... Get a job that you don't hate (you don't have to love it.. or have it be your dream job.. it is just short term). Cut your expenses so you are only living on 40-60% of your net take home pay. Use that extra money to invest... in RE... in stocks... in something which will drive you to financial freedom.

Also, start listening to the Bigger Pockets Money podcast... you will hear tons of stories of how people earned their Freedom.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • United States
Replied Feb 17 2020, 08:41
Originally posted by @Teara Henderson:

I'm a 27 year old expectant mom that could use some career advice.

I have a BA in sociology/communications from UT Austin.

I consider myself in a career rut, I'm a remote agent for a high volume education sales contact center. I did not expect to find myself stuck in this role, but the work from home aspect has kept me in the position longer than I'd hoped.

4 years ago it sounded like a good option to explore my post undergrad options. I started a Masters in Journalism and found it wasn't for me. I've considered learning UI/UX and/or getting my real estate license.

I've also started driving for dollars in my area and teaching myself the REI business.

I could use some help with what direction I should take to obtain FREEDOM, especially financially. The role in currently in is stressing me out with metrics, goals and micromanagement.

Im pretty much begging for a way out. Anybody have any advice!

Well being able to work from home is a huge asset that you should hold onto as long as you need income. (i.e. don't quit)

When you're not doing that go look at properties and educate yourself on the process.

You don't need a career change, you need to add onto what you already have. Build up your side/passive income.

Freedom comes at a price (competence, risk, decisiveness, focus, etc.)

Sounds to me like you're on the right track now. Don't make any emotional decisions, let your cashflow build and one day you can leave your job, but NOT sooner than that.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes