Huge Shoutout to my BP Colleagues that helped with my latest deal

18 Replies

I wanted to give some details of my latest deal for everyone. 

I found a FSBO ad on zillow on a duplex in a great part of Cleveland for about 45% of market value. I asked my Aussie real estate agent @Federico Gutierrez to check it out for me. We met yesterday at the property and found a solid duplex in great shape that only needed minor cosmetic upgrades. The down unit is vacant and the upstairs has a tenant that has lived in the unit for 8 years. She has acted as the pseudo property manager because the previous landlord was pretty absent so she has handled a lot of her own repairs, mows the grass, shovels snow, etc. Upon checking out the attic space, we realized it had already been framed out and could easily be converted to a 1-bed, 1-bath third unit. 

We went back to the office and Federico and I worked with @James Wise to put the offer together and get it submitted to the owner. We had the deal done last night for a cash offer to close in 10 days. 

Understanding the value of using other people's money to leverage your position, I didn't want to drain my account with the cash purchase and rehab costs so I contacted @Sean Richway with Coronado Bay Capital who is going to fund the project and get it done by the 10-day timeline. 

I highly recommend these three guys, and couldn't have made this deal come together so quickly and easily in such a short period of time without their help... and of course, all of these relationships happened here at BiggerPockets so thanks to @Joshua Dorkin for this awesome site and @Brandon Turner , who's book "The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No or Low Money Down" is what introduced me to BP and the creative way to make deals happen. 

At the end of the day, I'm looking at a 71.8% COC ROI. Cheers Guys!

Congratulations!!! that is great to hear. Whenever you get a chance and if you don mind could you share the financials of the deal? I always like to peruse other peoples deals out of curiosity and also as a way to learn more.

I am sure you will make some serious money with this.

Thanks for the shout out @Matt Motil

Enjoyed meeting you and we are looking forward to doing many more deals with you in the future.

Here are the particulars for those that have asked here and in PM: 

Purchase price: $50,000

Current value: $105,000 - 110,000

Currently 2-bed, 1 bath x 2 unit duplex. Each unit will rent for $700/month. 

With about $15,000 in work, attic space will be converted to a 1-bed, 1 bath unit. Additional rent $400/month. 

Assuming 5% vacancy, 5% repairs, 10% cap ex, 10% management, $100 water/sewer charge, $70 insurance, and $232 taxes for expenses. 

10% down payment = $5,000 

total loan = $65,000 

Total income $1800 - $943 expenses = $857 NOI x 12 = $10,284

ROI = $10,284 / $5,000 = 205.68%

10,284 - $6,337 (debt service) = $3,947 (DSCR = 1.62)

COC ROI = $3,947 / $5,000 = 78.94%

Again, huge thanks to @Federico Gutierrez for jumping on this when I sent it to him to look at it for me. Between the time that I initially asked him about it to the time we had an executed contract was probably about 6 hours, maybe less. 

Additionally, @Sean Richway has been awesome in getting funding for this project completed in such a short window. This frees up my capital to continue to find new deals instead of having all my liquid capital tied up in one project. 

I look forward to many more deals with both of these guys. 

Those are GREAT returns! I wish I could find something in SW Florida with those kind of numbers! More power to you.

Awesome, @Matt Motil !

Ohio is looking really tempting to invest in right now.  The best I've been able to deduce is that the dip there has finally ended and the city (at least around Cleveland) is getting its act together to attract more business.

My best guess is that, unless something else happens, the market there is SO depressed it can't go much of anywhere but up.

@Matt Motil

Great buy!  How was the financing structured?  Looks like the financing covered your purchase and almost all of the rehab.  Is that because it was priced so low below appraised value?  What kind of loan was that?  We're looking for a lender that would do deals like yours so it's great to hear it worked well for you!  Thanks!

Originally posted by @Al Munoz :

Awesome to hear such a great story. Have you been involved with BP for a while now?

Congrats and much more success to you.  

I joined BP in the fall after listening to Brandon Turner's audiobook. I have made some great relationships since joining. I recently got my real estate license in Ohio and joined the Holton Wise team that helped me with this deal. My BP experience has been awesome and I've been able to help other investors start out or grow their businesses too. 

Originally posted by @Jacob Elbe :

@Matt Motil

Great buy!  How was the financing structured?  Looks like the financing covered your purchase and almost all of the rehab.  Is that because it was priced so low below appraised value?  What kind of loan was that?  We're looking for a lender that would do deals like yours so it's great to hear it worked well for you!  Thanks!

@Sean Richway has a program that covered 90% of the purchase price and 100% of my rehab costs with low points and no junk fees. I would highly recommend reaching out to Sean t see what he could do for you in your area! 

It does not surprise me at all to hear that Federico Gutierrez was named the #1 Realtor at Holton Wise Property Group. He assisted me in the purchase of my first out of state rental property.

Before I left California to take a tour of Holton - Wise territory, Federico suggested places to stay and put me in touch with Lending Officer Isaac Quijano at Nations Lending. 

The three day tour of the area was hugely informative. Besides touring available properties, the ride along included stops at locations  where he had pending sales to meet with property inspectors, and some of his own properties to meet with contractors. It gave me a greater appreciation of the Cleveland area, as well Federico's knowledge in all things related to rental real estate.

The Holton-Wise Property Group office is a model of efficiency. Here they offer many in house services like property insurance form Kevin Hoag, and of course properly management. I met James Wise as well as other highly motivated agents that like Federico, were building and managing their own real estate portfolios. 

He was patient with my learning curve. The first two offers we made weren't accepted. The third, did not get financing. I ended up buying a house with cash, listed here on Bigger Pockets by James Wise, with Federico's help, sight unseen. The house had a tenant in it before the first month was over after closing.

After seeing the area, and meeting Federico I can honestly say I am quite comfortable having him as my eyes on the ground. No buyers remorse here.

I will definitely use Federico in my next real estate transaction, and I would recommend him to anyone interested in income property. 

Talk to Federico Gutierrez, real estate is not just his day job, it's his passion.

Happy Coustomer, 

Terry Fealy

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here