How I Bought the Most Efficient House Hack in America [Part 4]

How I Bought the Most Efficient House Hack in America [Part 4]

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes

Challenge: If you can find a house hack in America with better numbers than what I’m going to present to you, please share.

My ability to purchase this house all began with my first real estate purchase, my condo next to the Las Vegas Strip.

Since the Vegas market saw rapid appreciation between the time I purchased my condo, September 15 2016, and the time I sold my condo, February 28th 2019, I was given the rare opportunity to sell at a massive profit in such a short time frame.

Because I was able to take out a HELOC to use for a 4plex and 2 flips, I had two mortgages to pay off at closing: first mortgage and HELOC. Even with closing costs and bogus HOA fees to pay, I walked with nearly $30,000 in cash.

My good friend in Vegas bought a property for $175,000, renovated it, and lived in it for two years. I was amazed at how beautiful the numbers were for a house hack. When I went to his house for the first time in August 2018, I knew I had to purchase the house if he ever wanted to sell.

I had two hard money loans outstanding, and my current DTI was probably 2 because my w2 income isn't high and the lender wouldn't account for the 6 roommates' income I'd have if I were to buy his house.

So I had to wait until I exited my two flips, exited my condo, and had financing approved before I could buy his house. This presented a timing issue as well as a logistical issue, as I didn’t want to hold off on moving forward with rehab projects in order to buy this house.

The timing appeared to be off as he was interested in selling a few months earlier than I anticipated. And my second flip had been delayed for about 60 days which meant it was even more unlikely that I would be able to buy his house.

A couple weeks ago, myself and a close group of friends were set to meet up at a popular bar in town. After an hour, it was just me and him and he mentioned that an investor's VA called his number and discussed buying his house.

The investor was interested in a lease purchase agreement because he was a wholesaler and didn’t have the ability to qualify for a traditional mortgage.

After discussing the details, I asked him if he would consider offering me a similar deal. I could be the investor buying the property.

He was cool with it.

I went home that night and couldn’t sleep. After a couple months of thinking I couldn’t buy his property, I realized it was now a potential option.

We met a week later to go over terms. We agreed that $300k was a fair purchase price. He was thinking of listing the house for $289k. Since he was offering such good terms, I was fine paying more for the house. Also, by not listing on the market, I saved him at least 6% on agent fees, and the stress of selling a house (dealing with buyers, flakes, offers below list, etc.). To add, Zillow has it estimated at $310k so I believe I bought it at slightly under value or right on appraisal value.

The numbers:Purchase Price: $300k

Down Payment: $25k and remaining $35k in installments (because he’s doing me a huge solid and is allowing me to pay over a 3-4 month period)

Balloon Payment: not specified but gentleman’s handshake that it will be around the 12 month mark

Monthly Payment: $1500

His PITI is around $1000 so he is cash flowing $500 per month from this deal. The principal paydown every month will be added as equity for me. In one year, I'll add roughly $2800 in equity.

Because my income from 2019 will be about 4x what my 2018 income was, I anticipate being able to get a 30 year loan on this property in 12 months when taxes are filed, even if I have an outstanding hard money loan.

The House

The garage is a converted unit with its own private bath. Two rooms downstairs share one bath. Two rooms upstairs share one bath. The Master upstairs has its own bath. The room next to Master has its own bath. In all, the property is a 7 bed, 5 bath 2,400 square foot cash cow. My buddy rehabbed it while living there, brand new roof, new kitchen, upgraded bathrooms.

I decided to furnish the rooms that are currently not occupied. I spent $2,100 to furnish 3 rooms and add a fridge to the garage. 4 rooms were already taken and will be furnished as the tenants move out.

The Numbers

Monthly PITI payment: $1,500

Electric: $225

Internet: $125

Security: $50

Maid: $100

Total: $2,000

Income

Rooms that share bathroom: $550 x 4

Converted Garage: $600

Room with private bathroom: $600

Master: $650

Total Income: $4,050

I will be sleeping in one of the bedrooms that shares a bath so my total ‘house-hack’ income is ~$3,500

Total Net Income as a House Hack: ~$1,500 per month

This is the exact property I needed. As I look to expand my rehab business, having a huge cash flow every month will allow me to easily handle multiple hard money loans at one time.

Yes, I understand that this is a lot of people living in one house. It will be a fun experiment with people management and a great way to meet new people. The house definitely does not feel like a college dorm as I initially expected. Everyone has their own space, different schedules, and keeps to themselves which allows the house to never feel like a problem of housing too many people.

This is Part 4 of my journey to real estate success.  Part 1 can be read here.  Part 2 can be read here.  Part 3 can be read here.

20Reply
354 views

Most Popular Reply

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 403 posts · 474 votes
7y

Great job on getting the deal done. Now please stop using Zillow’s crap comps! LOL 

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Awesome job Spencer. Can’t wait to talk to you about it on Sunday. I also have  great news to share as well

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 471 posts · 241 votes
    7y
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 403 posts · 474 votes
    7y

    Great job on getting the deal done. Now please stop using Zillow’s crap comps! LOL 

  • Clinton, MA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Wow, this is awesome! What an inspiration!! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Awesome Job Spencer. Very motivating story. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Shelton, CT 06484 · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia Those are some awesome numbers!

    In 2017, I had a similar mindset. I wanted to offset as many of my expenses as possible. I purchased a 3-family for $295K in CT using FHA. Had to put little money down and almost no repairs as the house was renovated in 2015 (although I did some painting myself).

    The unique part of this purchase was that 1 of the 3 units was being rented by room. The 3 Units consist of a 5-br 2-bth apartment and two 1-br 1-bth apartments. The 5 bedroom was fully rented at closing, and landlord was paying all utilities + cable and internet. 

    Anyways, here are numbers on average over 14 months as they can change month to month. 

    INCOME

    Room Rentals (average over 14 months): $3,835

    1 Bedroom: $800

    Total Income: $4,635

    EXPENSES

    PITI + PMI: $2122

    Cable, internet, gas, electric, water,  water & sewer tax (average over 14 months): $832.50

    Total Expenses:$2,954.50

    Net: $1,680.50

    This is also with me living in the larger 1 bedroom apartment, which when I leave, I'll be able to rent for an additional $1,000/month.

    Although these numbers are actual and don't consider budgeting for vacancy, CapEx, Maintenance and the like, House Hacking is a hell of a thing! Definitely works if you run your numbers right.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Warren Juall Wow those numbers are great.  That scenario turned out better than mine it looks like because you have split units which I don't have the luxury of.  Additionally, your net is higher on a lower down payment so I would say that's better as well.

    Based on this one purchase, me and you both are basically super frugal financially independent.  Just one decision.  House hacking is that powerful, especially if you find a killer deal.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Great Job!

  • Real Estate Agent · San DIego · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 185 votes
    7y

    Great plan and implementation.  It shows that a little resourcefulness can go a long, long way.  Good luck on your continuing journey. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    This was cool to read. Love the details and congrats on the progress!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 5 votes
    7y

    So glad you're not my neighbor.

  • Round Rock, TX · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    Thats awesome Spencer! You might want to look into listing one of the rooms on Airbnb if it goes vacant. That could potentially bring in more money than a monthly rental...

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Nice job

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Congrats on seeing believing and manifesting it! 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dana Cohen:

    Thats awesome Spencer! You might want to look into listing one of the rooms on Airbnb if it goes vacant. That could potentially bring in more money than a monthly rental...

     
    Yes on paper I'm sure an Airbnb could bring in more money.  But it would also lead to a significant increase in headaches, mental energy, and problems I'd have to deal with daily.  Additionally, I can't imagine my current tenants being cool with strangers entering in the house daily which would probably lead to them wanting to go and not being able to find new tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Nevada City, CA · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    We're running similar numbers at our family residence, a 3300 sq ft Victorian in a beautiful, small, gold rush, tourist town in CA....walking distance to the historic downtown which enables us to rent out a tiny studio apartment on the first floor via Airbnb for 3-4 times the rate of a long term renter.

    Also, converted one of the master bedrooms with a private exterior entrance into another small studio by simply closing off an interior door, renting that out, too.

    Leaving our family with a high end, private 2500 sq ft house with 4 beds/2 ba, family room, dining, living, garage, etc. While we cash flow about $1300 after all expenses including PITI, maintenance and capex, utilities, etc.

    Purchase price $390k in 2014. Current market value $660000. We'll sell when our kids leave and/or we retire since this is our dream  home, keep gains tax free all while cash flowing $1300/Mo. for 4 years and counting. Not sure we'd ever choose to not house hack in some fashion or another.

    We also have W2 income, plus a handful of other SFR rentals, just sharing details of this house hack.

  • Rental Property Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Great job and definitely great numbers on this house hack!

  • Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 264 votes
    7y

    Great story, thanks for sharing! I hope you keep us updated as you progress.

    Just curious, have you considered AirBnb as an option for one or more of the rooms? I hear the cash flow can be even better than long term rentals. Especially given that you are already planning to furnish the rooms.

  • New to Real Estate · Marietta, GA · Member since 2018 · 169 posts · 40 votes
    7y
    Awesome deal! Great job! I was going to suggest Airbnbing the vacant rooms since you are in Vegas, near the trip, but someone else already did, and it doesnt work out for your room mates. Since the room mates are good, it definitely saves the headaches.
    If you dont mind sharing, did you have a lawyer structure the contract? Also, is a lease purchase agreement, different from a lease option? Do you have a certain specified time under contract to get financing?

    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards,

    Dieggo Goncalves
     
    Originally posted by @Spencer Cornelia:

    Challenge: If you can find a house hack in America with better numbers than what I’m going to present to you, please share.

    My ability to purchase this house all began with my first real estate purchase, my condo next to the Las Vegas Strip.

    Since the Vegas market saw rapid appreciation between the time I purchased my condo, September 15 2016, and the time I sold my condo, February 28th 2019, I was given the rare opportunity to sell at a massive profit in such a short time frame.

    Because I was able to take out a HELOC to use for a 4plex and 2 flips, I had two mortgages to pay off at closing: first mortgage and HELOC. Even with closing costs and bogus HOA fees to pay, I walked with nearly $30,000 in cash.

    My good friend in Vegas bought a property for $175,000, renovated it, and lived in it for two years. I was amazed at how beautiful the numbers were for a house hack. When I went to his house for the first time in August 2018, I knew I had to purchase the house if he ever wanted to sell.

    I had two hard money loans outstanding, and my current DTI was probably 2 because my w2 income isn't high and the lender wouldn't account for the 6 roommates' income I'd have if I were to buy his house.

    So I had to wait until I exited my two flips, exited my condo, and had financing approved before I could buy his house. This presented a timing issue as well as a logistical issue, as I didn’t want to hold off on moving forward with rehab projects in order to buy this house.

    The timing appeared to be off as he was interested in selling a few months earlier than I anticipated. And my second flip had been delayed for about 60 days which meant it was even more unlikely that I would be able to buy his house.

    A couple weeks ago, myself and a close group of friends were set to meet up at a popular bar in town. After an hour, it was just me and him and he mentioned that an investor's VA called his number and discussed buying his house.

    The investor was interested in a lease purchase agreement because he was a wholesaler and didn’t have the ability to qualify for a traditional mortgage.

    After discussing the details, I asked him if he would consider offering me a similar deal. I could be the investor buying the property.

    He was cool with it.

    I went home that night and couldn’t sleep. After a couple months of thinking I couldn’t buy his property, I realized it was now a potential option.

    We met a week later to go over terms. We agreed that $300k was a fair purchase price. He was thinking of listing the house for $289k. Since he was offering such good terms, I was fine paying more for the house. Also, by not listing on the market, I saved him at least 6% on agent fees, and the stress of selling a house (dealing with buyers, flakes, offers below list, etc.). To add, Zillow has it estimated at $310k so I believe I bought it at slightly under value or right on appraisal value.

    The numbers:Purchase Price: $300k

    Down Payment: $25k and remaining $35k in installments (because he’s doing me a huge solid and is allowing me to pay over a 3-4 month period)

    Balloon Payment: not specified but gentleman’s handshake that it will be around the 12 month mark

    Monthly Payment: $1500

    His PITI is around $1000 so he is cash flowing $500 per month from this deal. The principal paydown every month will be added as equity for me. In one year, I'll add roughly $2800 in equity.

    Because my income from 2019 will be about 4x what my 2018 income was, I anticipate being able to get a 30 year loan on this property in 12 months when taxes are filed, even if I have an outstanding hard money loan.

    The House

    The garage is a converted unit with its own private bath. Two rooms downstairs share one bath. Two rooms upstairs share one bath. The Master upstairs has its own bath. The room next to Master has its own bath. In all, the property is a 7 bed, 5 bath 2,400 square foot cash cow. My buddy rehabbed it while living there, brand new roof, new kitchen, upgraded bathrooms.

    I decided to furnish the rooms that are currently not occupied. I spent $2,100 to furnish 3 rooms and add a fridge to the garage. 4 rooms were already taken and will be furnished as the tenants move out.

    The Numbers

    Monthly PITI payment: $1,500

    Electric: $225

    Internet: $125

    Security: $50

    Maid: $100

    Total: $2,000

    Income

    Rooms that share bathroom: $550 x 4

    Converted Garage: $600

    Room with private bathroom: $600

    Master: $650

    Total Income: $4,050

    I will be sleeping in one of the bedrooms that shares a bath so my total ‘house-hack’ income is ~$3,500

    Total Net Income as a House Hack: ~$1,500 per month

    This is the exact property I needed. As I look to expand my rehab business, having a huge cash flow every month will allow me to easily handle multiple hard money loans at one time.

    Yes, I understand that this is a lot of people living in one house. It will be a fun experiment with people management and a great way to meet new people. The house definitely does not feel like a college dorm as I initially expected. Everyone has their own space, different schedules, and keeps to themselves which allows the house to never feel like a problem of housing too many people.

    This is Part 4 of my journey to real estate success.  Part 1 can be read here.  Part 2 can be read here.  Part 3 can be read here.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia I bought a duplex in Minneapolis in 2016 for $182,000. Made $400 a month while living there and sold for $330,000 in 2018. I bought a 6 plex while living there and bought 12 more units when I sold my duplex. Now I own 20 units. 18 of them bought through househacking in Minneapolis. I’ll continue to house hack as long as I can! My cheap *** can’t stand to pay to live somewhere

  • Real Estate Broker · Medford, OR · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia Amazing! Will catch up on your journey. Thank you for sharing!

  • Collinsville, IL · Member since 2018 · 98 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    I’m surprised people will live in the same house with others that they don’t know.

  • Specialist · Durham, NC · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    It's not for everyone to be manage so many roommates. But it's great financially if you can make it work!

  • Staten Island, NY · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Great Story! @Spencer Cornelia

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    <---------      (Reads 7 bedroom 5 bathroom and ONLY 2400 sqft, seems EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL and is waiting for the GURU ads to pop up)......

    (Experience level - my brother has the same BR/BA house and it is 7,000 sqft)....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.