• Engineer
  • Magnolia, NJ
Votes |
Hiring a GC vs acting as GC for renovations

Justin Eaton
  • Engineer
  • Magnolia, NJ
Posted Oct 13 2016, 18:25

So far i have completed 8 flips, 5 of which are sold, 3 of which are currently listed for sale, and 1 new flip currently under renovation. For the first 8 houses, i ran the jobs as the general contractor during the renovations while working full time. I have a fair amount of freedom for my full time job so i was able to run around to the job sites to during previous renovations and manage the individual trade contractors and keep things running smooth. 

For my most recent flip which is currently being renovated, i decided to hire a GC to run the job. The renovation is only about 20% complete, so far it has been on track and i am happy with the GC that i have chosen. (I have used this GC in the past for carpentry/tile work)

My question to you guys is, which method do you prefer? Is it worth the money that you save by running the jobs yourself and not paying a GC? Or is it more worth your time to hire a GC? 

Would love to hear some experiences that you guys have had in both situations as well. 

Justin! 

Loading replies...