General Contractors for 203K Loans in New Jersye

General Contractors for 203K Loans in New Jersye

Investor · Deptford Township, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes

We are flipping in the south jersey area and are using a 203K loan. We had a list of contractors that use 203K loans from the mortgage company but some of them have been unreliable. I wanted to reach out and see if anybody has any recommendations for reliable and moderately priced contractors in the south jersey area. Thank you!

1Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

You can use any contractor, they just need to go through an approval process with the lender.  Usually that entails obtaining a copy of their business license, insurance, and some other operating agreement type stuff.

Also, the contractor you select needs to be OK with waiting until full completion and inspection by the lender before any payment is authorized and released.  This often limits the contractor pool since they usually collect some upfront and want to be paid immediately after completion.  The lender was fairly quick to inspect and release funds, but it still took several days.  Just be aware, and make sure the contractor knows and is ok with it too.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 179 votes
    8y

    Hey @Alyssa Coffey
    PM me and I'll send you the detail of contractor I evaluated some time ago when I solicited bids from contractors.
    He told me he is  an approved 203k contractor and he was pretty straight forward.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Junction, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    8y

    @Alyssa Coffey if you have a contractor you like then you may be able to get that person added to the "approved" list. Each lender has its own list. We had a contractor added once and it wasn't that much paperwork for him - just a couple of pages - and then he not only got our work but was on the list for future borrowers / customers too. 

  • Investor · Deptford Township, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Teri Feeney Styers I wish I had one that I liked. I currently havn't found one that is reliable enough to give to the mortgage company. I'm absolutely open to finding a contractor who is willing to do a 203K and then add them to their list but have yet to find anybody in my area unfortunately. 

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    You can use any contractor, they just need to go through an approval process with the lender.  Usually that entails obtaining a copy of their business license, insurance, and some other operating agreement type stuff.

    Also, the contractor you select needs to be OK with waiting until full completion and inspection by the lender before any payment is authorized and released.  This often limits the contractor pool since they usually collect some upfront and want to be paid immediately after completion.  The lender was fairly quick to inspect and release funds, but it still took several days.  Just be aware, and make sure the contractor knows and is ok with it too.

  • Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Hi!  We closed on our 203k in Oct. of 2016 in northern NJ, and finished up with the contractor about a year ago this month.  You do NOT need a 203k "approved" GC.  All that means is he/she went through the requirements to get that after their name.  I second @Cara Lonsdale - they simply have to prove license, insurance, and be game for a BOATLOAD of paperwork on time limits.  


    Regarding their payment - at the time we did our 203k, they could either wait until full completion/inspection, or they could file another form and write a letter stating they don't have the $$ to put up front, and therefore get 50% of costs needed from the bank to start the required work.  Our guy did that, not a huge deal.  He got his balance from the bank at the end of it all.  

    I definitely recommend finding a lender who knows this sort of info off the top of their heads.  203k is no joke when it comes to paperwork!!  Also - contractors who have admin staff might be a good idea--  our guy did not have this, but it would have been helpful.  

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Alyssa Coffey I know that this post is old, but I was wondering if you found a decent contractor? I'm looking in Cumberland County. I would welcome any suggestions for contractors or consultants that you could recommend. Thanks

  • Investor · Deptford Township, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    I unfortunately did not find a decent one. I had to continue dealing with the one I had until the job was finally completed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    Hey Alyssa, I know you said you had to stick with the same contractor. I hope that worked out well still. I was just wondering if you know anyone now that is a reliable 203k contractor in New Jersey?

  • Investor · Deptford Township, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Adrien Salvador unfortunately, in my experience thus far i'v worked with a handful and they were all a pain, so i wouldn't recommend them.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    @Alyssa Coffey I'm sorry you had to experience that! If I do find someone who is reliable and worked efficiently in my first deal, I'll make sure to relay them to you!

  • Contractor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Adrien Salvador @Alyssa Coffey Hello I'm sorry any of you had to go through this. I'm a project manager and owner of a construction company. I'm 203K certified and very familiar with the process and would love to be of assistance if you have any open or potential projects.

  • Investor · Deptford Township, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    6y
  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Alyssa Coffey did you end up finding a good 203 K contractor? if yes, van you share? i am in the same boat now... thanks 

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Adrien Salvador hi Adrien just wondering if you found a good 203k contractor? i am looking for one now. thank you!

  • Investor · Deptford Township, NJ · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @En Ning chuang I actually never found a decent 203K contractor. For the time being I stopped using 203K loans because the contractors are almost always not the greatest business professionals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.