Cost of adding a kitchen and bathroom

13 Replies

I'm looking at buying a property that was used as a church. I want to turn it into a duplex. This is in Houston, TX. It has crawl space so no slab. how much would it cost (ballpark) to put in a small kitchen like 8x10 where there was none. So new plumbing and all. What about adding a full bathroom.

And I am talking about everything prefab and builder grade for a rental.

i guess there is already a kitchen & bath. Were they mens & womens? Could use one of them to enlarge the existing other one. Does the zoning allow a duplex. I'm having a tough time finding multi family zones here in my town. Very restrictive.

@Jane S.

Houston has no zoning so no issues with conversion.

The church has half bathrooms which are not situated close to each other.

One kitchen which can be used for one unit but I will have to add a whole new kitchen for the second unit since I want to turn it into a duplex.

Depending on the quality, you can put in a new kitchen for a few thousand...it really depends on what you want to put in there. one small wall of cabinets, sink, disposal, dishwasher (or not), stove/vent, fridge, countertop, flooring, run gas/plumbing if needed. $3000-10,000 depending on permitting (or not), skilled (licensed) vs unskilled (unlicensed but knows what they're doing)...tough question to answer but bottom line is you can get a cheap rental kitchen done for 3-5K I'd say...decent 5-10K and on up. I wouldn't pay any higher than that for a rental but with little info, hard to say.

no zoning! OMG! but what is the result in residential areas, are there gas stations, 7-11's in areas with nice houses?

Seriously, no zoning.  When you first get here, you drive around for a few days with this weird sensation that something about this place is .... off.  Then somebody points it out.  No zoning.  Then you get it.

Your church is next to a pipe yard, a golf course, a school, a gas station, some retail stripmall location with a 'washateria' and a nail salon, and some kind warehouse or industrial property.

Now there are some laws/ordnances here (as I understand it) that seem to act similar to what we might call zoning.  I have been to restaurants that cannot sell beer or wine because they are next to a school (also weird).  And we have strong-arm HOAs down here that would make third-world African dictators jealous, so that makes up for it a bit, as well.

And honestly, for the most part, the market also plays it's part.  Commercial stuff is priced accordingly, I guess.

@Jim Fleck

Thank you for the explanations. That gives me a good idea of what to expect. I would want to get a permit for the job so that means I'd have to get licensed professionals. So base on what 3are telling me I should expect somewhere in the 10k range?

@Jane S.

It's actually not that bad. A lot of the areas are dead restricted so it kind of limits the damage. But you still get to see some weird combination of buildings here and there were it is not dead restricted.

YOU NEED TO HAVE IT ESTIMATED ON SITE BY LICENSED CONTRACTORS you locate through the building commission where you get your permit ==or other sources (here?). All the numbers floating around on this page are sheer guesswork. Are the walls plaster or drywall? What will you find when you start in with plumbing & electric? The stock answer from a contractor is "I'd have to see it."

What would the seller be willing to do to make it habitable? 

Also have you fully investigated the history of this church? It could be fascinating.

From another response it is in the middle of a very iffy location. All these places must have shown up after the church was there?

You could lose a lot of $$ on this unless you know everything you need to before you sign. It's a good idea & many folks have converted churches. Have you done a google search for them? "Church conversions"

Maybe it would be better as an office building? Daycare? etc

I could go on ...

best of luck anyhow. Post a photo of it!

@Jane S.

Thanks. Yes I will ultimately bring a contractor in. For now I was just trying to find out if the idea is even worth considering.

It's not a fancy church really. Nothing special about it. If it weren't for the cross stuck on the front you would never guess it was a church. Looks just like a regular house. It has been sitting on the market for a while and the good thing about it is the large square footage of the building so I thought there might be an opportunity to buy low and add some value.

I will post pictures if I end up buying the place.

pretty funny considering the history of the bldg ... :-)

plus i had the idea it was a  formally built church with a steeple & maybe graveyard next door .... in your shoes i would  want to spend some time meeting with sellers ... F2F