The Downfall of BiggerPockets Forums?

The Downfall of BiggerPockets Forums?

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes

Hello BP Community!

Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

@Scott Trench

21Reply
4,124 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1y

@Remington Lyman

have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

i'm still here and i'm still not using AI

See this reply in the discussion

276 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Remington Lyman

    have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

    saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

    i'm still here and i'm still not using AI

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Remington Lyman

      have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

      saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

      i'm still here and i'm still not using AI


      Got it — sounds like Nicholas just wanted to make it clear he’s not using AI and has noticed entire threads being auto-generated. A good, natural response back could be something like:

      “Totally get that Nicholas, I’ve noticed the same thing. Some threads feel like they lose the real back-and-forth when it’s all AI. Appreciate you keeping it authentic.”

      Would you like me to make it more casual (like a quick forum reply), or more professional and polished?
    • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Remington Lyman

      have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

      saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

      i'm still here and i'm still not using AI

      How is AI being used here? There are AI bots that respond the questions here? People are cutting and pasting to get answers from Chat gpt? 

      If so, this is what's driving the quality of topics down? How does that all work together? 

      For me, it's just hard finding stuff to even care about replying to. I gave my reasoning behind it.  Also, the quality of the OPs seems either fake, or something is way off. I find myself have zero desire to respond to them. 

    • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mark Cruse:
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Remington Lyman

      have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

      saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

      i'm still here and i'm still not using AI

      How is AI being used here? There are AI bots that respond the questions here? People are cutting and pasting to get answers from Chat gpt? 

      If so, this is what's driving the quality of topics down? How does that all work together? 

      For me, it's just hard finding stuff to even care about replying to. I gave my reasoning behind it.  Also, the quality of the OPs seems either fake, or something is way off. I find myself have zero desire to respond to them. 


      I don't want to give too much detail on it Mark because I don't want to feed the problem via inspiring others in the how-to aspects of it all, but no it's way WAY more then just cut-n-past from chatGPT. 

      If do some YT surfing on N8N setups one can do for automation, that should open the rabbit hole for you. 

      If I really wanted to, right now today I could have an ai that monitors BP for the kind of posts, posters and replies I'd want to target, read through not only the post but all replies, get a feel for it all, craft a reply that engages in the flow of things how I'd like it to, and does it in a way to most sound like me via using an ai trained in my tone, manners etc.. 

      Yeah, no, the days of cut-n-past ai use is actually now considered "old old stuff". That's how fast ai is evolving. 

    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Hamling:
      Quote from @Mark Cruse:
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Remington Lyman

      have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

      saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

      i'm still here and i'm still not using AI

      How is AI being used here? There are AI bots that respond the questions here? People are cutting and pasting to get answers from Chat gpt? 

      If so, this is what's driving the quality of topics down? How does that all work together? 

      For me, it's just hard finding stuff to even care about replying to. I gave my reasoning behind it.  Also, the quality of the OPs seems either fake, or something is way off. I find myself have zero desire to respond to them. 


      I don't want to give too much detail on it Mark because I don't want to feed the problem via inspiring others in the how-to aspects of it all, but no it's way WAY more then just cut-n-past from chatGPT. 

      If do some YT surfing on N8N setups one can do for automation, that should open the rabbit hole for you. 

      If I really wanted to, right now today I could have an ai that monitors BP for the kind of posts, posters and replies I'd want to target, read through not only the post but all replies, get a feel for it all, craft a reply that engages in the flow of things how I'd like it to, and does it in a way to most sound like me via using an ai trained in my tone, manners etc.. 

      Yeah, no, the days of cut-n-past ai use is actually now considered "old old stuff". That's how fast ai is evolving. 

      Your comment: "If I really wanted to, right now today I could have an ai that monitors BP for the kind of posts, posters and replies I'd want to target, read through not only the post but all replies, get a feel for it all, craft a reply that engages in the flow of things how I'd like it to, and does it in a way to most sound like me via using an ai trained in my tone, manners etc.."

      Ah, so THAT's why your replies make no sense and miss the point. Got it.  How do you account for the rudeness and libel?

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Mark Cruse:
      Quote from @Nicholas L.:

      @Remington Lyman

      have had the same thought, but i know it's tough to police AI generated posts...

      saw a thread the other day where every single response to the OP was very obviously AI.

      i'm still here and i'm still not using AI

      How is AI being used here? There are AI bots that respond the questions here? People are cutting and pasting to get answers from Chat gpt? 

      If so, this is what's driving the quality of topics down? How does that all work together? 

      For me, it's just hard finding stuff to even care about replying to. I gave my reasoning behind it.  Also, the quality of the OPs seems either fake, or something is way off. I find myself have zero desire to respond to them. 


       OP meaning me?

      Here is something I created in ChatGPT which is what I assume everyone is using.

      The basic steps are

      1 - create a database of all your past posts and upload them to chatgpt to store

      2 - ask the folder a question and leverage past responses to formulate a response

      3 - ask the folder to remember to remove things that would tip people off that it is ai response like removing the "---"

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol 

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol 


       mute every Realtor that posts on the Ohio threads. Should take you 15 minutes

    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol 


       mute every Realtor that posts on the Ohio threads. Should take you 15 minutes


       It will take more than 24 hours to accomplish this task.

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol 


       mute every Realtor that posts on the Ohio threads. Should take you 15 minutes


       It will take more than 24 hours to accomplish this task.


       doubt it. Here are 3 steps that will take 24 hours to accomplish this 

      1 - post "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio"

      2 - wait 23 hours

      3 - mute everyone that replies

    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol 


       mute every Realtor that posts on the Ohio threads. Should take you 15 minutes


       It will take more than 24 hours to accomplish this task.


       doubt it. Here are 3 steps that will take 24 hours to accomplish this 

      1 - post "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio"

      2 - wait 23 hours

      3 - mute everyone that replies


      Everyone knows by now that if you post, "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio", you automatically go on 14,231 mailing lists, get a ReafCo mug in the mail, get a 34-page prospectus on the benefits of landlording in Ohio, and get Slydial calls for 24 hours straight.

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol 


       mute every Realtor that posts on the Ohio threads. Should take you 15 minutes


       It will take more than 24 hours to accomplish this task.


       doubt it. Here are 3 steps that will take 24 hours to accomplish this 

      1 - post "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio"

      2 - wait 23 hours

      3 - mute everyone that replies


      Everyone knows by now that if you post, "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio", you automatically go on 14,231 mailing lists, get a ReafCo mug in the mail, get a 34-page prospectus on the benefits of landlording in Ohio, and get Slydial calls for 24 hours straight.


      Bruh you should see what I have been working on for the past year. We started using our front end and back end CRM correctly and now AI works all of our unresponsive leads. Once you are in our system you have to respond or reply stop to end the follow up!

    • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jules Aton:

      AI generated responses are so annoying. I haven't been here very long but am surprised by blind encouragement for new members to take on risky deals. I'm trying to keep an open mind on the value of collaborating vs predatory behavior.  BTW is there a way to block any post with the word Ohio? lol


       mute every Realtor that posts on the Ohio threads. Should take you 15 minutes


       It will take more than 24 hours to accomplish this task.


       doubt it. Here are 3 steps that will take 24 hours to accomplish this 

      1 - post "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio"

      2 - wait 23 hours

      3 - mute everyone that replies


      Everyone knows by now that if you post, "Hi, I am a new out of state investor looking to purchase in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland, Ohio", you automatically go on 14,231 mailing lists, get a ReafCo mug in the mail, get a 34-page prospectus on the benefits of landlording in Ohio, and get Slydial calls for 24 hours straight.


      Bruh you should see what I have been working on for the past year. We started using our front end and back end CRM correctly and now AI works all of our unresponsive leads. Once you are in our system you have to respond or reply stop to end the follow up!


    • Investor · Toledo-MetroDetroit-Dallas · Member since 2022 · 122 posts · 71 votes
      11mo

      @Jules Aton haha Ohio is the best!!

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:

    Hello BP Community!

    Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

    @Scott Trench


     I feel the same way. It's been losing its essence for a few months now. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench


       I feel the same way. It's been losing its essence for a few months now. 

       I think it is mostly AI's fault. If a Realtor wanted to promote their business they would have to work at it. You could not say you were a Realtor and had to not be spammy. Now you just put the rules into ChatGPT and have it design responses that comply with the rules while still promoting yourself. 0 thought behind the craft now.

      We are all going to have to get yoked and dress up like Smerfs like @James Wise just to get any business now

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench


       I feel the same way. It's been losing its essence for a few months now. 

       I think it is mostly AI's fault. If a Realtor wanted to promote their business they would have to work at it. You could not say you were a Realtor and had to not be spammy. Now you just put the rules into ChatGPT and have it design responses that comply with the rules while still promoting yourself. 0 thought behind the craft now.

      We are all going to have to get yoked and dress up like Smerfs like @James Wise just to get any business now


       People gotta use AI bro. They don't have an office filled with 400 19 year old real estate bro's hopped up on Prime telling everyone how cool Columbus is while they simultaneously hammer their chests and chant All Hail King Remmy 

    • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench


       I feel the same way. It's been losing its essence for a few months now. 

       I think it is mostly AI's fault. If a Realtor wanted to promote their business they would have to work at it. You could not say you were a Realtor and had to not be spammy. Now you just put the rules into ChatGPT and have it design responses that comply with the rules while still promoting yourself. 0 thought behind the craft now.

      We are all going to have to get yoked and dress up like Smerfs like @James Wise just to get any business now


       People gotta use AI bro. They don't have an office filled with 400 19 year old real estate bro's hopped up on Prime telling everyone how cool Columbus is while they simultaneously hammer their chests and chant All Hail King Remmy 


       Hmmmmm, James you sound a little too familiar with this... something you gotta say?

      Sam McCormack Realtor
      View Page
    • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
      Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench


       I feel the same way. It's been losing its essence for a few months now. 

       I think it is mostly AI's fault. If a Realtor wanted to promote their business they would have to work at it. You could not say you were a Realtor and had to not be spammy. Now you just put the rules into ChatGPT and have it design responses that comply with the rules while still promoting yourself. 0 thought behind the craft now.

      We are all going to have to get yoked and dress up like Smerfs like @James Wise just to get any business now


       Hahaha. Have to be unique to stand out. AI is good for cold follow-ups but there is no human element to generate new business. People want actual stories, real life examples, and authentic posts. 

      The moderators should really pay attention to this.  

      LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
      1y

      That's Genie sir...Genie. 

      Its not AIs fault. it is just a tool. 
      It's the culture that influenced "passive income" and disregard all the moral negative side effects.

      Influencers and content creators push for "Do this and earn $$$" or "AI generates me $$$$ in passive income!"...with their mouth hanging open and pointing at a tilted home.
      When they know they can set AI to read posts and respond back causing their votes to rise, why not? What's the problem? They are putting out "facts", getting recognition and votes for free and people learn from the AI. Win / Win...right?

      In reality, "AI" is just putting out what was posted on various websites. It doesn't mean its fact. Many times, the advice is inaccurate but they wouldn't know as they don't read what it produces. For real users, this forum posts individual experiences, which is absolutely pure gold. A bot has no real estate investment experience.

      Don't bother arguing this to some one who uses bots. You are denying free labor. Temptation will always give them a reason and rationale.

      So why is Ohio being blasted with the "I see you are asking about..." AI responses? It is one of the last states with affordable/cheap homes for BRRRRs and long term rentals. If you a person who wants to do the least amount of effort, you are going there (no, I am not saying if you invest in Ohio then you short cut. The logic where where P=>R but not R=>P).

      Want some controversy? I place the cold calling bots in the same category. Ironically, they got the "Selling property + do you know who is" from BP. To them, they can get great deals at the  expense of thousands of people getting random calls from random numbers multiple times a day. Is it successful? Per BP rookie podcast guests, it is successful. But with several calls a day, it is not right morally.  

      Solution?
      You may actually be able to use AI to identify the probability posts being AI. If the probability is 95%, delete. If 70%, review it by a team. It's still a tool. 
      The AI voting tool is risky but doable. A BP team would have to review posts with x "AI votes".

      No, don't just delete posts w/o vetting. This forum would die in 6 months. 

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Wise:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Erik Estrada:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench


       I feel the same way. It's been losing its essence for a few months now. 

       I think it is mostly AI's fault. If a Realtor wanted to promote their business they would have to work at it. You could not say you were a Realtor and had to not be spammy. Now you just put the rules into ChatGPT and have it design responses that comply with the rules while still promoting yourself. 0 thought behind the craft now.

      We are all going to have to get yoked and dress up like Smerfs like @James Wise just to get any business now


       People gotta use AI bro. They don't have an office filled with 400 19 year old real estate bro's hopped up on Prime telling everyone how cool Columbus is while they simultaneously hammer their chests and chant All Hail King Remmy 


      They should! It is dope

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Todd Jones:

      That's Genie sir...Genie. 

      Its not AIs fault. it is just a tool. 
      It's the culture that influenced "passive income" and disregard all the moral negative side effects.

      Influencers and content creators push for "Do this and earn $$$" or "AI generates me $$$$ in passive income!"...with their mouth hanging open and pointing at a tilted home.
      When they know they can set AI to read posts and respond back causing their votes to rise, why not? What's the problem? They are putting out "facts", getting recognition and votes for free and people learn from the AI. Win / Win...right?

      In reality, "AI" is just putting out what was posted on various websites. It doesn't mean its fact. Many times, the advice is inaccurate but they wouldn't know as they don't read what it produces. For real users, this forum posts individual experiences, which is absolutely pure gold. A bot has no real estate investment experience.

      Don't bother arguing this to some one who uses bots. You are denying free labor. Temptation will always give them a reason and rationale.

      So why is Ohio being blasted with the "I see you are asking about..." AI responses? It is one of the last states with affordable/cheap homes for BRRRRs and long term rentals. If you a person who wants to do the least amount of effort, you are going there (no, I am not saying if you invest in Ohio then you short cut. The logic where where P=>R but not R=>P).

      Want some controversy? I place the cold calling bots in the same category. Ironically, they got the "Selling property + do you know who is" from BP. To them, they can get great deals at the  expense of thousands of people getting random calls from random numbers multiple times a day. Is it successful? Per BP rookie podcast guests, it is successful. But with several calls a day, it is not right morally.  

      Solution?
      You may actually be able to use AI to identify the probability posts being AI. If the probability is 95%, delete. If 70%, review it by a team. It's still a tool. 
      The AI voting tool is risky but doable. A BP team would have to review posts with x "AI votes".

      No, don't just delete posts w/o vetting. This forum would die in 6 months. 


       This seems like a pretty easy and logical solution. It would fix the problem overnight

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    This is awful...

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:

    Hello BP Community!

    Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

    @Scott Trench


     Are you reporting the posts so they can be reviewed?

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    I do not manage the forums these days, but I agree that it is a real risk. 

    I might suggest, @Rene Hosman, that we petition the BP Tech team to create a mechanism to allow community members to do something parallel to a "vote" when they suspect AI, and that as the community collectively accuses posts of being AI generated, that the poster's get dinged, cooled off, or banned after a certain amount of time. 

    Either they will have to stop using AI, or evolve quickly to stop sounding like AI. 

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Scott Trench:

      I do not manage the forums these days, but I agree that it is a real risk. 

      I might suggest, @Rene Hosman, that we petition the BP Tech team to create a mechanism to allow community members to do something parallel to a "vote" when they suspect AI, and that as the community collectively accuses posts of being AI generated, that the poster's get dinged, cooled off, or banned after a certain amount of time. 

      Either they will have to stop using AI, or evolve quickly to stop sounding like AI. 

      Can you start doing it again?

      They should just create an AI agent that trolls the forums and autodeletes posts that have a high likelyhood of being created by AI

      They need to do something. It is unbearable. I miss @Jonathan Greene

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Remington Lyman

    Not a day goes by without me using the phrase "Appreciate you keeping it authentic."

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

    I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

    AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

    If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

    None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

    Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

    Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?


       Yeah. Not many people want to meet in person anymore

    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?


       Yeah. Not many people want to meet in person anymore


      and they wonder why they bought a bad deal or trusted the wrong person. SMH

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?


       Yeah. Not many people want to meet in person anymore


      and they wonder why they bought a bad deal or trusted the wrong person. SMH


       at least they stopped trusting rando contractors with hundreds of thousands of dollars

    • 🎉 Director of Events at BiggerPockets · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 438 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?

      You know I'm here for the IRL events @Jonathan Greene 🥳 Nothing beats those in-person connections! I'll miss you at BPCON this year, but I'd love to hear more about your regional event ideas as we plan for the future. 

      BiggerPockets
    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alexandra Hughes Pailet:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?

      You know I'm here for the IRL events @Jonathan Greene 🥳 Nothing beats those in-person connections! I'll miss you at BPCON this year, but I'd love to hear more about your regional event ideas as we plan for the future. 


      Oh, I know you are! The roadshow thing that Henry and Dave did was amazing. I think the issue is that the company and the people who have made the company what it is are at direct odds in terms of what to do and what the enjoyment factor is.

      To sell, they need a bigger database. Users = potential revenue for someone else who buys the company. But BiggerPockets was built on the forums, literally. The interaction of the forms made the podcast viable and accessible. Now the podcast is a revenue stream with all the ads for the company, but no one I know still listens. I listen to On the Market more than the big show and it's not because of Dave. Dave is the best. There are too many different shows and too many episodes and they are there to feed advertising money, but no human being could possibly listen to all of the episodes and have a life. Rookie, Money, big show, On the Market, it's a lot.

      You and Katie Miller and the team behind the scenes turn out a great event. The person-to-person connection is what everyone needs now. Less screens (except better forums) and more learning from the person across from you and not a guru on TikTok who has done 1 flip, made $3,145, and now is selling a course on how not to do what he did.

      Find the best meetups, give a 2-3 month lead, and it would bring back the good stuff in a lot of areas. I get 1-2 new people at my meetups a month who find it in the events section on BP, but the events section is literally for cave people. There are 2 towns in New Jersey to tag, 2, and if you don't tag one no one will see it if they search geographically.

    • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Alexandra Hughes Pailet:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?

      You know I'm here for the IRL events @Jonathan Greene 🥳 Nothing beats those in-person connections! I'll miss you at BPCON this year, but I'd love to hear more about your regional event ideas as we plan for the future. 


      Oh, I know you are! The roadshow thing that Henry and Dave did was amazing. I think the issue is that the company and the people who have made the company what it is are at direct odds in terms of what to do and what the enjoyment factor is.

      To sell, they need a bigger database. Users = potential revenue for someone else who buys the company. But BiggerPockets was built on the forums, literally. The interaction of the forms made the podcast viable and accessible. Now the podcast is a revenue stream with all the ads for the company, but no one I know still listens. I listen to On the Market more than the big show and it's not because of Dave. Dave is the best. There are too many different shows and too many episodes and they are there to feed advertising money, but no human being could possibly listen to all of the episodes and have a life. Rookie, Money, big show, On the Market, it's a lot.

      You and Katie Miller and the team behind the scenes turn out a great event. The person-to-person connection is what everyone needs now. Less screens (except better forums) and more learning from the person across from you and not a guru on TikTok who has done 1 flip, made $3,145, and now is selling a course on how not to do what he did.

      Find the best meetups, give a 2-3 month lead, and it would bring back the good stuff in a lot of areas. I get 1-2 new people at my meetups a month who find it in the events section on BP, but the events section is literally for cave people. There are 2 towns in New Jersey to tag, 2, and if you don't tag one no one will see it if they search geographically.

      1,000%, more has not been better.

      I argue NFL vs MLB. 

      Each has about 30 teams, yet NLF teams play 17 games vs MLB's 162. And the NFL out earns, by nearly DOUBLE, the MLB! 

      I'd urge the BP decision makers to meditate on this point. More does not inherently = better. Better = better. 

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Alexandra Hughes Pailet:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      There is no way to fix it. This has been a runaway train for years.

      I was on a call with many of the hosts and the new CEO and his team. The new CEO has barely invested in real estate. This is a tech company, it's not a real estate investing portal anymore. He was saying that their goal was to use AI to create more connectivity. What?

      AI is what is dragging this site down every day.

      If they wanted more connectivity, BP would partner with local meetups in every city to co-sponsor the IN-PERSON meetups and help make it more collaborative.

      None of us needs to be sitting on the computer in forums anymore. We need to talk to people in real life. New investors need to connect with people who are making deals in their market.

      Thanks for dragging me back to the forums to spew @Remington Lyman.

      Siri, is this appropriate enough for the site?

      You know I'm here for the IRL events @Jonathan Greene 🥳 Nothing beats those in-person connections! I'll miss you at BPCON this year, but I'd love to hear more about your regional event ideas as we plan for the future. 


       You should do a regional event in Ohio since that is one of the most talked about states here on BP

  • Scott AllenBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 449 posts · 471 votes
    1y

    @Remington Lyman Lots of AI, whack social media, and uber drivers nowadays

    Reafco - Columbus, OH
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP I’ll put my former Controller and CFO hat on.

    I agree with your points.   But who cares?  

    Believe BP was purchased by a P/E firm.   Normally a 3 to 5 year fix and flip strategy.  So let’s approach from that standpoint versus helping people in a forum.  

    To me the forums are the Turkey special at Thanksgiving.  The grocery store makes their money off the other offerings.  

    So let’s ask the question.   Would BP be better without the forum?  What are BP revenue streams?  Ads in the forums?  Then more ads.  Podcasts and ads?  Selling books?  Etc.  

    Forum posts unto themselves don’t make money.  But I would say without the post forum the rest would die.  Posts are the major feeder program.  But if BP doesn’t think this, then there is no need to improve the post forum.  

    If however BP wanted to improve the forums then I recommend they put in both a filter system and a prioritization scheme.

    Also I understand REI has slowed down, but we are retired and not pushing growth, but we have way more deals than we want in our lanes of REI. Can't believe other seasoned investors don't have more deals than they could handle or want. Would recommend BP work with active posters to do posts on deal flow.

    Example Ohio.  Have some posts following thru on a deal.  

    Example LP lost their money-  but none of them can tell you what was missed in their due diligence.  They just want a vote up or down system like lemmings running off a cliff.  Have a poster walk thru their due diligence process and identify the miss.  

    Prioritize posts that take you thru deal flow.  Versus where is the best market in the U.S.  

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:

    Hello BP Community!

    Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

    @Scott Trench


     I'm happy I stopped contributing to the spam. If someone asks about Cincinnati or wants to connect with someone from Cincinnati, then I leave a comment and shoot a message, but i'm no longer part of spam gang. Posting helpful things is a lot more fulfilling, a lot less degrading, and I don't feel like a cancer

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I used to get so many serious repeat buyer clients off here, I still get some great leads but its forsure way more un-serious people now. I think it's just the market. From 2013-2020 you could buy 5% down and cashflow in nice areas, was way too easy to get rich off these properties just cashout every few years and buy more and more. Still friends and close with many I met over BP and have a few reaching out to sell now who used to be always buying, the tables have turned. You can still make money buying but it needs to be in gentrifying areas with large upside or doing value adds to the deals to boost rents/equity.

    • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

      I used to get so many serious repeat buyer clients off here, I still get some great leads but its forsure way more un-serious people now. I think it's just the market. From 2013-2020 you could buy 5% down and cashflow in nice areas, was way too easy to get rich off these properties just cashout every few years and buy more and more. Still friends and close with many I met over BP and have a few reaching out to sell now who used to be always buying, the tables have turned. You can still make money buying but it needs to be in gentrifying areas with large upside or doing value adds to the deals to boost rents/equity.


       There was a redesign of the site as well at one point, which destroyed the SEO and google indexing of the forums. Once that redesign happened, my leads that came from the Forums plummeted. 

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

      I used to get so many serious repeat buyer clients off here, I still get some great leads but its forsure way more un-serious people now. I think it's just the market. From 2013-2020 you could buy 5% down and cashflow in nice areas, was way too easy to get rich off these properties just cashout every few years and buy more and more. Still friends and close with many I met over BP and have a few reaching out to sell now who used to be always buying, the tables have turned. You can still make money buying but it needs to be in gentrifying areas with large upside or doing value adds to the deals to boost rents/equity.


       Curious to see how long it takes the market to shift back

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Russell Brazil:
      Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

      I used to get so many serious repeat buyer clients off here, I still get some great leads but its forsure way more un-serious people now. I think it's just the market. From 2013-2020 you could buy 5% down and cashflow in nice areas, was way too easy to get rich off these properties just cashout every few years and buy more and more. Still friends and close with many I met over BP and have a few reaching out to sell now who used to be always buying, the tables have turned. You can still make money buying but it needs to be in gentrifying areas with large upside or doing value adds to the deals to boost rents/equity.


       There was a redesign of the site as well at one point, which destroyed the SEO and google indexing of the forums. Once that redesign happened, my leads that came from the Forums plummeted. 


       Yes I agree. Even the paid leads have not been as numerous or high quality in the last year

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    I've come and gone over the years. I've been a premium member and I've cancelled. I think the platform has great potential, but if you look at the vast majority of posts recently, there area. lot of first post/no vote "investors" that are pretty obviously not real. I must agree with you. 

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    I still get leads all the time from BiggerPockets, but not from any relationship with BP. I have never paid for anything except Pro, I just answer questions (and sometimes offend baby investors) in the forums. People still find me from old posts.

    But, BP set it up wrong. Anyone can be an agent with BP which skews the expectation of the group here. It doesn't mean they are investor-friendly, they just paid for it.

    The investors now are unrealistic because of a few things:

    1. They read the older BP books and think they can run the BRRRR framework or flip now without any experience.

    2. They are too fragile (I will never stop saying this, it's an epidemic) and only want people to say yes so they end up paying gurus or going on webinars etc.

    3. They don't truly want to do the work of an investor, they just want the profit.

    BP is now running a tech business that they want to sell off as @Henry Clark said so their goal is to gain vanity metrics and sales of books, etc. It's why the majority of the speakers have books on sale at the bookshop at BPCon.

    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      I still get leads all the time from BiggerPockets, but not from any relationship with BP. I have never paid for anything except Pro, I just answer questions (and sometimes offend baby investors) in the forums. People still find me from old posts.

      But, BP set it up wrong. Anyone can be an agent with BP which skews the expectation of the group here. It doesn't mean they are investor-friendly, they just paid for it.

      The investors now are unrealistic because of a few things:

      1. They read the older BP books and think they can run the BRRRR framework or flip now without any experience.

      2. They are too fragile (I will never stop saying this, it's an epidemic) and only want people to say yes so they end up paying gurus or going on webinars etc.

      3. They don't truly want to do the work of an investor, they just want the profit.

      BP is now running a tech business that they want to sell off as @Henry Clark said so their goal is to gain vanity metrics and sales of books, etc. It's why the majority of the speakers have books on sale at the bookshop at BPCon.

      .
      Your comment: "2. They are too fragile (I will never stop saying this, it's an epidemic) and only want people to say yes so they end up paying gurus or going on webinars etc."

      I think this is the biggest problem. I don't how you change that characteristic though. Seems people argue over proven fact and sometimes over the smallest things. They want to be "right" more than to be profitable.

      I think a lot of it stems from the guys on Youtube, (which is only one way communication,  so you can't challenge them) that you can buy properties no money done, no experience, borrow money for closing, you don't need the expense of title or escrow and you will retire rich, no problem. They will finance the hefty guru "training" fee. 

      But, as you already know, investing isn't easy like that. 
    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ken M.:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      I still get leads all the time from BiggerPockets, but not from any relationship with BP. I have never paid for anything except Pro, I just answer questions (and sometimes offend baby investors) in the forums. People still find me from old posts.

      But, BP set it up wrong. Anyone can be an agent with BP which skews the expectation of the group here. It doesn't mean they are investor-friendly, they just paid for it.

      The investors now are unrealistic because of a few things:

      1. They read the older BP books and think they can run the BRRRR framework or flip now without any experience.

      2. They are too fragile (I will never stop saying this, it's an epidemic) and only want people to say yes so they end up paying gurus or going on webinars etc.

      3. They don't truly want to do the work of an investor, they just want the profit.

      BP is now running a tech business that they want to sell off as @Henry Clark said so their goal is to gain vanity metrics and sales of books, etc. It's why the majority of the speakers have books on sale at the bookshop at BPCon.

      .
      Your comment: "2. They are too fragile (I will never stop saying this, it's an epidemic) and only want people to say yes so they end up paying gurus or going on webinars etc."

      I think this is the biggest problem. I don't how you change that characteristic though. Seems people argue over proven fact and sometimes over the smallest things. They want to be "right" more than to be profitable.

      I think a lot of it stems from the guys on Youtube, (which is only one way communication,  so you can't challenge them) that you can buy properties no money done, no experience, borrow money for closing, you don't need the expense of title or escrow and you will retire rich, no problem. They will finance the hefty guru "training" fee. 

      But, as you already know, investing isn't easy like that. 

      That's a great point about YouTube watchers and TikTok consumers who are used to one-way correspondence. To be honest, I think a lot of people are just coddled babies also. They think everyone is here to help them get to financial freedom by 24 even if they have no money, bade credit, and don't want to work.

  • Technology · Dallas, TX · Member since 2022 · 458 posts · 292 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:

    Hello BP Community!

    Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

    @Scott Trench

    You can tag @Moderators, but as always the best way to fight this is to report it using the "..." under the post and not engage with it.

    I agree that IRL is important and neglected from a forums perspective. Got a meeting with PM here to go over that later today. If you want to see it change, speak up.

    BiggerPockets
    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Aaron Breckenridge:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench

      You can tag @Moderators, but as always the best way to fight this is to report it using the "..." under the post and not engage with it.

      I agree that IRL is important and neglected from a forums perspective. Got a meeting with PM here to go over that later today. If you want to see it change, speak up.

      .
      Your comment: You can tag @Moderators, but as always the best way to fight this is to report it using the "..." under the post and not engage with it.

      Is the ellipses an actual thing, or what? I am not aware of such a designation.



    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Aaron Breckenridge:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:

      Hello BP Community!

      Has anyone thought the content of the forums have been degrading recently? I feel like moderators and/or the staff of BP have been unable or unwilling to moderate the forums to the same standard they used to. It is riddled with self promotions and ChatGPT --- posts lately...

      @Scott Trench

      You can tag @Moderators, but as always the best way to fight this is to report it using the "..." under the post and not engage with it.

      I agree that IRL is important and neglected from a forums perspective. Got a meeting with PM here to go over that later today. If you want to see it change, speak up.


       Thank you! That is what I am doing right now

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Remington Lyman this is why I constantly miss spell words and use horrible grammar.

    First off I have horrible grammar and spelling as it is.  Secondly it proves these responses are from my noggin not AI.

    Not sure how BP can get in front of this, since some people are taking their actual responses and having AI correct grammar and spelling so it is their thought but improved by AI.

    It seems like the entire internet will be AI bots and posts soon enough.  

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:

      @Remington Lyman this is why I constantly miss spell words and use horrible grammar.

      First off I have horrible grammar and spelling as it is.  Secondly it proves these responses are from my noggin not AI.

      Not sure how BP can get in front of this, since some people are taking their actual responses and having AI correct grammar and spelling so it is their thought but improved by AI.

      It seems like the entire internet will be AI bots and posts soon enough.  

      Maybe verifying accounts would help with a simple Captcha on the first few posts from the account
    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:

      @Remington Lyman this is why I constantly miss spell words and use horrible grammar.

      First off I have horrible grammar and spelling as it is.  Secondly it proves these responses are from my noggin not AI.

      Not sure how BP can get in front of this, since some people are taking their actual responses and having AI correct grammar and spelling so it is their thought but improved by AI.

      It seems like the entire internet will be AI bots and posts soon enough.  


       It is kind of funny that misspelling and using improper grammer is the better way to go now so people know you are real. I do not understand the point of all those spelling quizes and grammer lessons now...

      I used to use ai grammer fixers a year ago but now I just let it ride like you!

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Matthew Irish-Jones:

      @Remington Lyman this is why I constantly miss spell words and use horrible grammar.

      First off I have horrible grammar and spelling as it is.  Secondly it proves these responses are from my noggin not AI.

      Not sure how BP can get in front of this, since some people are taking their actual responses and having AI correct grammar and spelling so it is their thought but improved by AI.

      It seems like the entire internet will be AI bots and posts soon enough.  


       It is kind of funny that misspelling and using improper grammer is the better way to go now so people know you are real. I do not understand the point of all those spelling quizes and grammer lessons now...

      I used to use ai grammer fixers a year ago but now I just let it ride like you!


      grammer who needs stinkin grammer on a RE site ?
  • Member since 2025 · 72 posts · 45 votes
    1y

    @Remington Lyman Unfortunately much like alot of other "networking" sites they always start off great, a ton of collaboration and meaningful connections, then it gets bigger and companies start charging or start OVER moderating posts, driving alot of the engaged users out.. This site was amazing 10 years ago with seasoned investors actually wanting to help but alot of things have happened along the way to drive alot of them out. Now it seems they are backpedaling being a little too lenient on moderation after being so strict for so long. 

    • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      @Remington Lyman Unfortunately much like alot of other "networking" sites they always start off great, a ton of collaboration and meaningful connections, then it gets bigger and companies start charging or start OVER moderating posts, driving alot of the engaged users out.. This site was amazing 10 years ago with seasoned investors actually wanting to help but alot of things have happened along the way to drive alot of them out. Now it seems they are backpedaling being a little too lenient on moderation after being so strict for so long. 


       I have been very quiet lately as the forums have gotten very challenging to respond. Many of the questions or opinions I see are not coherent and either require a book to respond or are not sure what the question is? The other is the AI chat/gpt component has gotten out of control. I would as a moderator be in favor of banning people 30 days for AI content as its gotten out of control. Lets hope this changes

      7e investments53 Reviews
    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      @Remington Lyman Unfortunately much like alot of other "networking" sites they always start off great, a ton of collaboration and meaningful connections, then it gets bigger and companies start charging or start OVER moderating posts, driving alot of the engaged users out.. This site was amazing 10 years ago with seasoned investors actually wanting to help but alot of things have happened along the way to drive alot of them out. Now it seems they are backpedaling being a little too lenient on moderation after being so strict for so long. 


       Yeah. I think they just need to find a way to remove the ai posts. That has been the issue I see the past 3 months. It is way too easy for agents to make thoughtless marketing posts

      Interested to see the amount of tickets the moderators are getting.

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Chris Seveney:
      Quote from @Account Closed:

      @Remington Lyman Unfortunately much like alot of other "networking" sites they always start off great, a ton of collaboration and meaningful connections, then it gets bigger and companies start charging or start OVER moderating posts, driving alot of the engaged users out.. This site was amazing 10 years ago with seasoned investors actually wanting to help but alot of things have happened along the way to drive alot of them out. Now it seems they are backpedaling being a little too lenient on moderation after being so strict for so long. 


       I have been very quiet lately as the forums have gotten very challenging to respond. Many of the questions or opinions I see are not coherent and either require a book to respond or are not sure what the question is? The other is the AI chat/gpt component has gotten out of control. I would as a moderator be in favor of banning people 30 days for AI content as its gotten out of control. Lets hope this changes


      They used to do these types of bans. I would get a new agent who would immediately get banned. They would come up to me and ask why, and I would show them how to appropriately engage on the forums.

      After the 30 days they would be much better behaved.

      Did they take this type of ban away?

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    It's all good. Dragon fruit and Allspice margarita. Waiting on dinner in Belize. REI is great. I told Renee they should add a section of WHY, as a forum.

    My first time to Pensacola 2 weeks ago.   Wish I had read on here how great it was.  

    BP helps kill time between deals.   Also sharpens my thought process seeing the legit questions.  

    Behind that driveway entrance is a $7mm deal with $150,000 input.  Life is great.  BP post some deal flows.  

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    It's just a function of the market, you'll see folks come back online to this game when we're not in great depression like real estate affordability and liquidity.

    Will it change? Sure, but the activity will be back and more authentic from real investors. Because there problems are native to their situation. 

    The agents, the gurus, etc., will always shill. The people looking for others to hire them will continue the rampant use of AI. Same applies to the promoters. 

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Another for AI. It’s the insane how many ai responses there are. They kill all credibility for the person who posted it and the whole forum in general.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    I rarely go in the forums these days. The site is about monetization and eventual exit now down the line. Most users are not millionaires so the wares are there to sell them on how to become one. 

    The millionaires on here already don't need to go to seminars or be sold courses. They come on here to find someone at the top level for the service they want and contact them. I have people on here that never post and make 5 million a year net income. They came on here looking for someone to help them and could care less about all of this other stuff. These days not many quality leads on BP anymore. I get more now from being on dozens of podcast shows. Those that have been on BP for decades most are millionaires many times over and have very successful businesses. BP in a lot of ways has changed to something that doesn't really fit what they are doing these days. Way back when BP had just a few thousand investors it was different. You had people close to retiring 30 to 40 years in investing sharing golden nuggets of knowledge. It's not for me to say but BP these days tends to feel spammy. I think many of these new employees throw ideas at the wall to see what sticks type thing versus really thinking about what it does to the brand long term. Instead it's go fast, do lots of stuff, and see what happens.   

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joel Owens:

      I rarely go in the forums these days. The site is about monetization and eventual exit now down the line. Most users are not millionaires so the wares are there to sell them on how to become one. 

      The millionaires on here already don't need to go to seminars or be sold courses. They come on here to find someone at the top level for the service they want and contact them. I have people on here that never post and make 5 million a year net income. They came on here looking for someone to help them and could care less about all of this other stuff. These days not many quality leads on BP anymore. I get more now from being on dozens of podcast shows. Those that have been on BP for decades most are millionaires many times over and have very successful businesses. BP in a lot of ways has changed to something that doesn't really fit what they are doing these days. Way back when BP had just a few thousand investors it was different. You had people close to retiring 30 to 40 years in investing sharing golden nuggets of knowledge. It's not for me to say but BP these days tends to feel spammy. I think many of these new employees throw ideas at the wall to see what sticks type thing versus really thinking about what it does to the brand long term. Instead it's go fast, do lots of stuff, and see what happens.   


       Seems like we should bring back the old ways. I am not seeing anything that would deem it hard to do. I have not listened to the podcasts since 2020 but they did shape the way I do business now. I listened to all of them between 2018-2020. They are the reasons I adoped VAs and wrote strong procedures early on.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

    I had a solution idea. 

    I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

    Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

    And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

    There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

    This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

    Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

    Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

    Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

    My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

    What do you think @Moderators

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators


       I do not like the barrier to entry. A great thing about BP is the ability for a newbie to come onto the site and ask a question. They are not going to buy a membership just to post a question.

    • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators

       @James Hamling I like the idea of a barrier to entry, but I have never been a fan of that barrier being money. Unless the cost is unreasonably high, I think most of the people here exclusively for self-promotion will likely pay the fee regardless, which will incentivize BP to bring in more of them. I also know that I anytime I look at joining a community, meetup group, forum, etc, and see a required monthly fee or subscription fee, I usually decline. There are so many gurus and shamans trying to monetize this stuff through paid mentorships/groups/communities etc that I instantly assume that a required fee = get-rich-quick marketing scheme from some guru preying on people who have a mindset of "I want passive income so I can retire this afternoon."

      I would prefer to see some kind of verification option that gives a visible marker on an account, such as a badge, that shows that the account holder has been vetted to not be a bot or a clown. The process for this could be an interview via either a video chat or in-person with one of the forum moderators/managers to determine whether the interviewee is A) here for the right reasons, and B) whether they will agree to the rules, with one such rule being a pledge not to use AI to generate posts or responses. If they are found to have violated the pledge, then they are unethical and should be shunned or marked as such with a different type of badge, like "Interact with Caution".

      I see major changes coming soon to a lot of social media and communication modalities because of this kind of stuff. I get blown up every day with AI/bot cold calls, cold texts, and cold emails, and I'm religious about reporting these as junk to the various carriers and email providers. I cant stand being cold-called, texted, etc by people trying to sell me trash, which is anything I havent asked for. Im in a business where I have to answer my phone, and if you immediately start pitching me as soon as I say Hi, youre getting cussed out. It's out of control.

    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators

       @James Hamling I like the idea of a barrier to entry, but I have never been a fan of that barrier being money. Unless the cost is unreasonably high, I think most of the people here exclusively for self-promotion will likely pay the fee regardless, which will incentivize BP to bring in more of them. I also know that I anytime I look at joining a community, meetup group, forum, etc, and see a required monthly fee or subscription fee, I usually decline. There are so many gurus and shamans trying to monetize this stuff through paid mentorships/groups/communities etc that I instantly assume that a required fee = get-rich-quick marketing scheme from some guru preying on people who have a mindset of "I want passive income so I can retire this afternoon."

      I would prefer to see some kind of verification option that gives a visible marker on an account, such as a badge, that shows that the account holder has been vetted to not be a bot or a clown. The process for this could be an interview via either a video chat or in-person with one of the forum moderators/managers to determine whether the interviewee is A) here for the right reasons, and B) whether they will agree to the rules, with one such rule being a pledge not to use AI to generate posts or responses. If they are found to have violated the pledge, then they are unethical and should be shunned or marked as such with a different type of badge, like "Interact with Caution".

      I see major changes coming soon to a lot of social media and communication modalities because of this kind of stuff. I get blown up every day with AI/bot cold calls, cold texts, and cold emails, and I'm religious about reporting these as junk to the various carriers and email providers. I cant stand being cold-called, texted, etc by people trying to sell me trash, which is anything I havent asked for. Im in a business where I have to answer my phone, and if you immediately start pitching me as soon as I say Hi, youre getting cussed out. It's out of control.

      I spend half my day declining spam calls and the other half declining spam emails and DMS about my SEO or coaching or podcast. It's out of control. I agree that cost wouldn't change anything here and the cost will always be low because they want user numbers.

    • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators

       @James Hamling I like the idea of a barrier to entry, but I have never been a fan of that barrier being money. Unless the cost is unreasonably high, I think most of the people here exclusively for self-promotion will likely pay the fee regardless, which will incentivize BP to bring in more of them. I also know that I anytime I look at joining a community, meetup group, forum, etc, and see a required monthly fee or subscription fee, I usually decline. There are so many gurus and shamans trying to monetize this stuff through paid mentorships/groups/communities etc that I instantly assume that a required fee = get-rich-quick marketing scheme from some guru preying on people who have a mindset of "I want passive income so I can retire this afternoon."

      I would prefer to see some kind of verification option that gives a visible marker on an account, such as a badge, that shows that the account holder has been vetted to not be a bot or a clown. The process for this could be an interview via either a video chat or in-person with one of the forum moderators/managers to determine whether the interviewee is A) here for the right reasons, and B) whether they will agree to the rules, with one such rule being a pledge not to use AI to generate posts or responses. If they are found to have violated the pledge, then they are unethical and should be shunned or marked as such with a different type of badge, like "Interact with Caution".

      I see major changes coming soon to a lot of social media and communication modalities because of this kind of stuff. I get blown up every day with AI/bot cold calls, cold texts, and cold emails, and I'm religious about reporting these as junk to the various carriers and email providers. I cant stand being cold-called, texted, etc by people trying to sell me trash, which is anything I havent asked for. Im in a business where I have to answer my phone, and if you immediately start pitching me as soon as I say Hi, youre getting cussed out. It's out of control.


      Yeah, I totally get-it and myself am not the biggest fan of a barrier to entry but it's the only mechanism I could come up with that will actually work. 

      Keep in mind free accounts could still make post replies, there just throttled as to how many per day until meet level thresholds unlocking ability to do more and more per day. 

      And think, it could start really low, like 1 up vote, then 10, then 250, 50, 100 etc etc.. 

      I thought if it like the way app based games are made today, everything is achievement based for access to "next level". 

      It's also a system the self-promotes those newer users to use the various features, like look through the expansive library of older posts, vs just create a new post for every/any question. The current system kind of rewards impulsive "lazy" posting 4-answers vs engaging with platform. Because it's way easier to just post something vs look it up, or use the "Find A ___" tool. 

      I don't see that talk with a BP rep for account setup working at all. We have to keep in mind BP is a tech company, and that means a focus on lean staffing. To do that would require staffing an expansive call center, not to mention the added cost of such. 

      I'm not saying it's a bad idea in theory, I am just trying to view it as a realist, thinking through the motives BP needs and expects, as a business, for the action to make sense. For it to make sense to C-Suite, it's gotta make $$$$. 

      ai is getting scarry good at head spinning speed. A captcha is not gonna cut it, ai will be able to make that hurdle. A throttle mechanism and a fee mechanism seems best way to dissuade.  And good moderation which then falls onto all of us, not just the Mod's alone. 

    • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @James Hamling:
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators

       @James Hamling I like the idea of a barrier to entry, but I have never been a fan of that barrier being money. Unless the cost is unreasonably high, I think most of the people here exclusively for self-promotion will likely pay the fee regardless, which will incentivize BP to bring in more of them. I also know that I anytime I look at joining a community, meetup group, forum, etc, and see a required monthly fee or subscription fee, I usually decline. There are so many gurus and shamans trying to monetize this stuff through paid mentorships/groups/communities etc that I instantly assume that a required fee = get-rich-quick marketing scheme from some guru preying on people who have a mindset of "I want passive income so I can retire this afternoon."

      I would prefer to see some kind of verification option that gives a visible marker on an account, such as a badge, that shows that the account holder has been vetted to not be a bot or a clown. The process for this could be an interview via either a video chat or in-person with one of the forum moderators/managers to determine whether the interviewee is A) here for the right reasons, and B) whether they will agree to the rules, with one such rule being a pledge not to use AI to generate posts or responses. If they are found to have violated the pledge, then they are unethical and should be shunned or marked as such with a different type of badge, like "Interact with Caution".

      I see major changes coming soon to a lot of social media and communication modalities because of this kind of stuff. I get blown up every day with AI/bot cold calls, cold texts, and cold emails, and I'm religious about reporting these as junk to the various carriers and email providers. I cant stand being cold-called, texted, etc by people trying to sell me trash, which is anything I havent asked for. Im in a business where I have to answer my phone, and if you immediately start pitching me as soon as I say Hi, youre getting cussed out. It's out of control.


      Yeah, I totally get-it and myself am not the biggest fan of a barrier to entry but it's the only mechanism I could come up with that will actually work. 

      Keep in mind free accounts could still make post replies, there just throttled as to how many per day until meet level thresholds unlocking ability to do more and more per day. 

      And think, it could start really low, like 1 up vote, then 10, then 250, 50, 100 etc etc.. 

      I thought if it like the way app based games are made today, everything is achievement based for access to "next level". 

      It's also a system the self-promotes those newer users to use the various features, like look through the expansive library of older posts, vs just create a new post for every/any question. The current system kind of rewards impulsive "lazy" posting 4-answers vs engaging with platform. Because it's way easier to just post something vs look it up, or use the "Find A ___" tool. 

      I don't see that talk with a BP rep for account setup working at all. We have to keep in mind BP is a tech company, and that means a focus on lean staffing. To do that would require staffing an expansive call center, not to mention the added cost of such. 

      I'm not saying it's a bad idea in theory, I am just trying to view it as a realist, thinking through the motives BP needs and expects, as a business, for the action to make sense. For it to make sense to C-Suite, it's gotta make $$$$. 

      ai is getting scarry good at head spinning speed. A captcha is not gonna cut it, ai will be able to make that hurdle. A throttle mechanism and a fee mechanism seems best way to dissuade.  And good moderation which then falls onto all of us, not just the Mod's alone. 


       Might just be time to build a new forum and migrate. This feels like when a local small business grows into a corporate franchise - it permanently evolves into something different

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators

       @James Hamling I like the idea of a barrier to entry, but I have never been a fan of that barrier being money. Unless the cost is unreasonably high, I think most of the people here exclusively for self-promotion will likely pay the fee regardless, which will incentivize BP to bring in more of them. I also know that I anytime I look at joining a community, meetup group, forum, etc, and see a required monthly fee or subscription fee, I usually decline. There are so many gurus and shamans trying to monetize this stuff through paid mentorships/groups/communities etc that I instantly assume that a required fee = get-rich-quick marketing scheme from some guru preying on people who have a mindset of "I want passive income so I can retire this afternoon."

      I would prefer to see some kind of verification option that gives a visible marker on an account, such as a badge, that shows that the account holder has been vetted to not be a bot or a clown. The process for this could be an interview via either a video chat or in-person with one of the forum moderators/managers to determine whether the interviewee is A) here for the right reasons, and B) whether they will agree to the rules, with one such rule being a pledge not to use AI to generate posts or responses. If they are found to have violated the pledge, then they are unethical and should be shunned or marked as such with a different type of badge, like "Interact with Caution".

      I see major changes coming soon to a lot of social media and communication modalities because of this kind of stuff. I get blown up every day with AI/bot cold calls, cold texts, and cold emails, and I'm religious about reporting these as junk to the various carriers and email providers. I cant stand being cold-called, texted, etc by people trying to sell me trash, which is anything I havent asked for. Im in a business where I have to answer my phone, and if you immediately start pitching me as soon as I say Hi, youre getting cussed out. It's out of control.


      Yeah, I totally get-it and myself am not the biggest fan of a barrier to entry but it's the only mechanism I could come up with that will actually work. 

      Keep in mind free accounts could still make post replies, there just throttled as to how many per day until meet level thresholds unlocking ability to do more and more per day. 

      And think, it could start really low, like 1 up vote, then 10, then 250, 50, 100 etc etc.. 

      I thought if it like the way app based games are made today, everything is achievement based for access to "next level". 

      It's also a system the self-promotes those newer users to use the various features, like look through the expansive library of older posts, vs just create a new post for every/any question. The current system kind of rewards impulsive "lazy" posting 4-answers vs engaging with platform. Because it's way easier to just post something vs look it up, or use the "Find A ___" tool. 

      I don't see that talk with a BP rep for account setup working at all. We have to keep in mind BP is a tech company, and that means a focus on lean staffing. To do that would require staffing an expansive call center, not to mention the added cost of such. 

      I'm not saying it's a bad idea in theory, I am just trying to view it as a realist, thinking through the motives BP needs and expects, as a business, for the action to make sense. For it to make sense to C-Suite, it's gotta make $$$$. 

      ai is getting scarry good at head spinning speed. A captcha is not gonna cut it, ai will be able to make that hurdle. A throttle mechanism and a fee mechanism seems best way to dissuade.  And good moderation which then falls onto all of us, not just the Mod's alone. 


       Might just be time to build a new forum and migrate. This feels like when a local small business grows into a corporate franchise - it permanently evolves into something different

      Starbucks!
      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:
      Quote from @Patrick Roberts:
      Quote from @James Hamling:

      The best part of this discussion, is finding out how not alone I am. I have been experiencing and thinking these things but was unsure if it was just my own perception of things. 

      I had a solution idea. 

      I really thought this through and I truly think it's the only legit, enduring solution that threads the needle of best results for all on BP, and for BP Platform profitability (if it don't make $, it won't make sense for ownership and thus, it won't happen, right). 

      Post's can only be created by paid membership holders. Be it biz or personal, but paid not free accounts. 

      And free accounts get a daily reply limit. 

      There is a trend, free accounts making the same repetative basic nusance post over n over which means (a) there not contributing good engaging new content via doing such, and, (b) there not searching the forums, going through existing content because if they did they would have found the previous 10,427 posts asking what there asking. 

      This also helps prevent from account spamming. 

      Next is throttle a daily limit for paid account to create posts, based upon a persons votes. An ascending tiered model where at certain benchmarks, ability to do more is awarded. 

      Look, simplest way to safeguard for quality content is to allow those voted most quality to post most freely, and that to post more it has to be earned via quality posts & replies. 

      Ideally, this also helps the ai thing because ai spamming won't get the votes and thus, daily post creation will be throttled to a level that hopefully makes the venture not worth it to even try. 

      My observation is the best content is consistently put out by various paid memberships, and the worst most spammy ai stuff is by free or low vote accounts. 

      What do you think @Moderators

       @James Hamling I like the idea of a barrier to entry, but I have never been a fan of that barrier being money. Unless the cost is unreasonably high, I think most of the people here exclusively for self-promotion will likely pay the fee regardless, which will incentivize BP to bring in more of them. I also know that I anytime I look at joining a community, meetup group, forum, etc, and see a required monthly fee or subscription fee, I usually decline. There are so many gurus and shamans trying to monetize this stuff through paid mentorships/groups/communities etc that I instantly assume that a required fee = get-rich-quick marketing scheme from some guru preying on people who have a mindset of "I want passive income so I can retire this afternoon."

      I would prefer to see some kind of verification option that gives a visible marker on an account, such as a badge, that shows that the account holder has been vetted to not be a bot or a clown. The process for this could be an interview via either a video chat or in-person with one of the forum moderators/managers to determine whether the interviewee is A) here for the right reasons, and B) whether they will agree to the rules, with one such rule being a pledge not to use AI to generate posts or responses. If they are found to have violated the pledge, then they are unethical and should be shunned or marked as such with a different type of badge, like "Interact with Caution".

      I see major changes coming soon to a lot of social media and communication modalities because of this kind of stuff. I get blown up every day with AI/bot cold calls, cold texts, and cold emails, and I'm religious about reporting these as junk to the various carriers and email providers. I cant stand being cold-called, texted, etc by people trying to sell me trash, which is anything I havent asked for. Im in a business where I have to answer my phone, and if you immediately start pitching me as soon as I say Hi, youre getting cussed out. It's out of control.


      Yeah, I totally get-it and myself am not the biggest fan of a barrier to entry but it's the only mechanism I could come up with that will actually work. 

      Keep in mind free accounts could still make post replies, there just throttled as to how many per day until meet level thresholds unlocking ability to do more and more per day. 

      And think, it could start really low, like 1 up vote, then 10, then 250, 50, 100 etc etc.. 

      I thought if it like the way app based games are made today, everything is achievement based for access to "next level". 

      It's also a system the self-promotes those newer users to use the various features, like look through the expansive library of older posts, vs just create a new post for every/any question. The current system kind of rewards impulsive "lazy" posting 4-answers vs engaging with platform. Because it's way easier to just post something vs look it up, or use the "Find A ___" tool. 

      I don't see that talk with a BP rep for account setup working at all. We have to keep in mind BP is a tech company, and that means a focus on lean staffing. To do that would require staffing an expansive call center, not to mention the added cost of such. 

      I'm not saying it's a bad idea in theory, I am just trying to view it as a realist, thinking through the motives BP needs and expects, as a business, for the action to make sense. For it to make sense to C-Suite, it's gotta make $$$$. 

      ai is getting scarry good at head spinning speed. A captcha is not gonna cut it, ai will be able to make that hurdle. A throttle mechanism and a fee mechanism seems best way to dissuade.  And good moderation which then falls onto all of us, not just the Mod's alone. 


       Might just be time to build a new forum and migrate. This feels like when a local small business grows into a corporate franchise - it permanently evolves into something different


      Wow, yeah, that analogy hit's close to home.... 

      History would say your spot-on, unless there is an ever so rare "Jobs comes back" type event. 

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    I've felt there's always been a certain amount of that stuff and not sure I see more now than before but AI slop is everywhere so I would almost be shocked if it hasn't increased some. 

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

      I've felt there's always been a certain amount of that stuff and not sure I see more now than before but AI slop is everywhere so I would almost be shocked if it hasn't increased some. 


       I definitely see more. These agents posting 500 words to a simple question are easy to spot. Also the "---" is an easy giveaway. I have started leveraging AI a lot which helps me spot AI posts

    • Andrew SyriosPro Member
      Moderator
      Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

      I've felt there's always been a certain amount of that stuff and not sure I see more now than before but AI slop is everywhere so I would almost be shocked if it hasn't increased some. 


       I definitely see more. These agents posting 500 words to a simple question are easy to spot. Also the "---" is an easy giveaway. I have started leveraging AI a lot which helps me spot AI posts

      The only thing that will truly be able to stop AI slop is unfortunately, also AI
  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    It doesn't help BP to fix this problem. This is a user problem and most notable to use who used to enjoy the forums to an astronomical amount compared to now. They are unusable. But they want more users, more vanity metrics to show and sell, so do they really want the forums to be policed well or just to be strong in post numbers and responses?

    It's hard to say (not really), but I can tell you from being a moderator - you don't get paid, you don't get benefits (not even a ticket to BPCon, maybe a free PassivePockets membership on trial), and you often have to explain yourself to someone after your restrict a person for doing something insane. So, it is not worth it at all.

    When the goal is to get new users, up numbers, sell books, it's not for any of us who are here in this forum anymore. None of us even listen to the podcast anymore (I love Dave and am good friends with him, and I have been a guest on the big show 4x now, but the podcast is nothing like it was because that's the way BP wants it. It's like current events every day, you can buy, this area is good - Dave's skills are honestly going to waste) because there are rarely guests that matter and there are like twenty ads per show.

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      It doesn't help BP to fix this problem. This is a user problem and most notable to use who used to enjoy the forums to an astronomical amount compared to now. They are unusable. But they want more users, more vanity metrics to show and sell, so do they really want the forums to be policed well or just to be strong in post numbers and responses?

      It's hard to say (not really), but I can tell you from being a moderator - you don't get paid, you don't get benefits (not even a ticket to BPCon, maybe a free PassivePockets membership on trial), and you often have to explain yourself to someone after your restrict a person for doing something insane. So, it is not worth it at all.

      When the goal is to get new users, up numbers, sell books, it's not for any of us who are here in this forum anymore. None of us even listen to the podcast anymore (I love Dave and am good friends with him, and I have been a guest on the big show 4x now, but the podcast is nothing like it was because that's the way BP wants it. It's like current events every day, you can buy, this area is good - Dave's skills are honestly going to waste) because there are rarely guests that matter and there are like twenty ads per show.


       It seems shortsighted. People are going to stop coming to the site if it is just full of garbage.

    • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      It doesn't help BP to fix this problem. This is a user problem and most notable to use who used to enjoy the forums to an astronomical amount compared to now. They are unusable. But they want more users, more vanity metrics to show and sell, so do they really want the forums to be policed well or just to be strong in post numbers and responses?

      It's hard to say (not really), but I can tell you from being a moderator - you don't get paid, you don't get benefits (not even a ticket to BPCon, maybe a free PassivePockets membership on trial), and you often have to explain yourself to someone after your restrict a person for doing something insane. So, it is not worth it at all.

      When the goal is to get new users, up numbers, sell books, it's not for any of us who are here in this forum anymore. None of us even listen to the podcast anymore (I love Dave and am good friends with him, and I have been a guest on the big show 4x now, but the podcast is nothing like it was because that's the way BP wants it. It's like current events every day, you can buy, this area is good - Dave's skills are honestly going to waste) because there are rarely guests that matter and there are like twenty ads per show.


       It seems shortsighted. People are going to stop coming to the site if it is just full of garbage.


      Who comes to the site anymore? I only came back because you tagged me. Haven't been on here in months. The forums are atrocious. It's like nails on a chalkboard inside of a ringing bell while underwater in a shark tank with no bars.

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:
      Quote from @Remington Lyman:
      Quote from @Jonathan Greene:

      It doesn't help BP to fix this problem. This is a user problem and most notable to use who used to enjoy the forums to an astronomical amount compared to now. They are unusable. But they want more users, more vanity metrics to show and sell, so do they really want the forums to be policed well or just to be strong in post numbers and responses?

      It's hard to say (not really), but I can tell you from being a moderator - you don't get paid, you don't get benefits (not even a ticket to BPCon, maybe a free PassivePockets membership on trial), and you often have to explain yourself to someone after your restrict a person for doing something insane. So, it is not worth it at all.

      When the goal is to get new users, up numbers, sell books, it's not for any of us who are here in this forum anymore. None of us even listen to the podcast anymore (I love Dave and am good friends with him, and I have been a guest on the big show 4x now, but the podcast is nothing like it was because that's the way BP wants it. It's like current events every day, you can buy, this area is good - Dave's skills are honestly going to waste) because there are rarely guests that matter and there are like twenty ads per show.


       It seems shortsighted. People are going to stop coming to the site if it is just full of garbage.


      Who comes to the site anymore? I only came back because you tagged me. Haven't been on here in months. The forums are atrocious. It's like nails on a chalkboard inside of a ringing bell while underwater in a shark tank with no bars.


       I think this site give me a pulse on what is happening with the market. I also come here to try to get clients, although it has been more difficult recently. It has been difficult with other investor buyer lead sourses I use as well, though

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2018 · 577 posts · 864 votes
    1y

    @Remington Lyman - great topic. For those of us that do REI as more of a side hustle (essentially anyone with a non-REI W2 like me), the forums have become a waste of time as well.

    Most of the posts are either spam, people with no money asking for help buying an apartment building, people whose feelings get hurt if you provide constructive criticism of their plan, or people talking out their rear ends.  

    I typically do a routine daily search under "Huntsville" to see if there is any interesting discussion from local investors.  Here's the typical topics I see under Huntsville:

    1.  I have no money - where should I look for a house in Huntsville?

    2.  The market is great in Huntsville - contact me.

    3.  I am a turn key operator - please contact me about opportunities in Huntsville even though I have zero properties currently listed on my website for North Alabama

    4.  I live in (insert state here) - you can cash flow in Huntsville no problem!  No, I have never set foot in Alabama, and don't know what fried okra is.

    I always ask the poster to tell me about some of their recent property acquisitions they have done here in Huntsville - and get crickets.  

    Maybe I should start asking if they like fried okra?  AI may assume it tastes like chicken...

    • Remington LymanBusiness Member
      OP
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Michael S.:

      @Remington Lyman - great topic. For those of us that do REI as more of a side hustle (essentially anyone with a non-REI W2 like me), the forums have become a waste of time as well.

      Most of the posts are either spam, people with no money asking for help buying an apartment building, people whose feelings get hurt if you provide constructive criticism of their plan, or people talking out their rear ends.  

      I typically do a routine daily search under "Huntsville" to see if there is any interesting discussion from local investors.  Here's the typical topics I see under Huntsville:

      1.  I have no money - where should I look for a house in Huntsville?

      2.  The market is great in Huntsville - contact me.

      3.  I am a turn key operator - please contact me about opportunities in Huntsville even though I have zero properties currently listed on my website for North Alabama

      4.  I live in (insert state here) - you can cash flow in Huntsville no problem!  No, I have never set foot in Alabama, and don't know what fried okra is.

      I always ask the poster to tell me about some of their recent property acquisitions they have done here in Huntsville - and get crickets.  

      Maybe I should start asking if they like fried okra?  AI may assume it tastes like chicken...


       Just have an AI write a book about Huntsville and sell it to them

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.