• Rental Property Investor
  • Trabuco Canyon, CA
Votes |
Is the BiggerPockets censuring gone too far

Bobby Narinov
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Trabuco Canyon, CA
Posted Dec 12 2017, 21:15

I am pretty much sure this discussion is going to be killed by our overlords here in BiggerPockets due to its controversial nature.

I used to like BiggerPockets. I used to log in regularly and comment on posts whenever I can.

I also used to ask a lot of questions and start discussions. Some of them went over 100 comments within hours.

But then, I got slapped on the wrist. One of my most successful discussions was shut down because I dared to mentioned the race of the 4 gangsters that performed an armed kidnapping of one my tenants. The discussion got a lot of likes but that was not good for the moderator. There was not a single person offended by it (except the moderator). Everyone took the post for what it was: a genuine question that needed some help from the community. Somehow the moderator saw it as a racist post and decided to kill the whole discussion. "The first sentence, 'four xxx barged in...' is extremely offensive. I can change it to four people, and reload the thread, but I will not have this sort of comment on MY SITE.". Wow. I though this site is a community build site.

This is going overboard with censoring. I don't even care about racial or other prejudices, I am a minority member myself. Not only that but a 100% of my tenants can claim one or more protected classes but for some reason my post was tagged as racist's.

It took several days to figure out what is going on and try to resurrect the discussion by modifying the post by removing all gender and racial characteristics of the people involved. I didn't care about my own efforts but there were over 100 comments where people honestly try to give advice, all of them wasted because of overzealous moderator.

This completely ruined my desire to be active on BiggerPockets.

It has been a year since that incident and I am trying to get back here but somehow the feeling is not the same. I no longer want to post here anymore because i fear my posts will be deleted because they do not please our overlords. I know that everything posted here is BiggerPockets property and this makes me post even less.

Until this post is removed, feel free to share your experience with censoring gone overboard here.

P.S. please do not comment if your income is heavily dependent on BiggerPockets because your account may be suspended.

Loading replies...