Skip to content
Mobile Home Park Investing

User Stats

Votes
Jamin Olds
  • Investor
  • South Haven, MI
Votes |
Raising Capital for 4 parks (242 lots- $420 lot rent average)

Jamin Olds
  • Investor
  • South Haven, MI
Posted Jan 26 2022, 19:37

(Little back ground - currently own 4 mobile home parks totaling 157 lots)

Short Details of the current purchase that I need to raise funds for:

-I have the opportunity to purchase 4 off market MHP parks totaling 242 and an average of $420 lot rent.

-Park 1: 40 lots, 22 filled all new trailers. $385 lot rents

-Park 2: 72 lots, 68 filled. $420 lot rents

-Park 3: 73 lots, 30 filled. $420 lot rents (seller will fill all lots of I want, or can purchase at 30 lots filled, all new trailers)

-Park 4 58 lots, 55 filled. $420 lot rents.

I have always used small private investors to raise money for my previous deals. This opportunity will require much more capital. How do you go about raising private money in the 1 Million++++ (i know it must make sense for investors returns). Working on finalizing price for the parks and then raising the money as the seller will allow 9-12 for capital to be raised.

Any advice, input, connections are welcome. T

Thanks Everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Mario Dattilo
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Jan 26 2022, 19:58

#1 rule to raising capital and staying out of jail. Follow securities laws by getting a good securities attorney. 

It’s not hard to do it right if you know the rules you have to play by. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
  • Summerville, SC
Replied Jan 27 2022, 10:11

I think a previous post was alluding to marketing to accredited investors.  And yes, there are SEC rules behind some areas in raising private funding.

At any rate, we all weren't seeking a lesson in legal so let me ask:  Where are these parks located?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jamin Olds
  • Investor
  • South Haven, MI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • South Haven, MI
Replied Jan 27 2022, 10:35

@Dave Rav

Parks are located in Michigan. 

User Stats

Votes
Mario Dattilo
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Naples, FL
Replied Jan 27 2022, 10:55

@Dave Rav my comment may have sounded preachy but wasn't meant to be. Was legitimately giving guidance since he is asking "how do you go about raising private money...". I sure needed a "lesson on legal" when I started raising money and it helped me do it successfully. We should all get guidance from a securities attorney prior marketing for capital, so you can use good strategy in doing so. Don't start pitching the deal until you know the rules as it might cause you to be unable to re-market the offering to those same people after you are doing it correctly.

@Jamin Olds, Start out with terms that are marketable to investors and back into those terms with your deal structure. You can determine what the market demands by talking with investors you know about their general appetite, looking at other offerings, and networking with other sponsors to see what the market norm is. Recognize that your first few deals may require you to sweeten the offering a little to attract the capital until you build your track record up at which time you can set the terms at market or better. 

When you know what the investors are looking for regarding target returns and timelines you can begin to carve out your interests based on those. Don't go in with what you want and try to give them the leftovers. If the deal does not support the investors targeted returns with enough left over for you as the sponsor then the deal is not feasible. 

Reach out any time. I'm happy to help you through the process.