What do I need to look at when it comes to moving a doublewide?

18 Replies

A lady called me with a doublewide she wants to sell once her house is done being built. I looked at the home and it is in excellent shape. However, I am not sure what I need to do to see about moving it. I looked under the home and did not see axels on it, and it did not have tongues to hitch up to the mover either. How much is it to get those put on to move it. 

I have never moved one before and would like some guidance. I just assumed it costs 5k all in but that is based on no experience.  Has anyone moved one? How much effort and cost was it?

I would be moving it to a park. 

I think you will find it to be about $5K for single wide; $10K double wide. Best advice: Call a professional mover. Permit will be needed.

I don't move doubles because of how high the costs are-  it needs more permitting, and you need to consider many movers factor in cost of time for disassembling the home and re-assembling it...plus 2x the cost of moving 2 separate halves of houses. 

10k to move and set up one? Holy moly, that changes things quite a bit. I thought it was about 5k with permits and everything using a professional. I guess not :(

Eric,

Having moved to many I can comment on what we pay, we get a great rate because we use them alot. $150 an axle(most double wides have 8 total), 175 for bolt on tongue 325 for welded, disconnect utilities 250-500. You should prob remove the skirting yourself often you will find the tongue near the rear of the trailer. 3.25 a mile $500 min (per trailer) and I budget 750 for extra crap. I think its $750 for a double to tear it apart too and any misc stuff is $32 an hr. They wont hook up utilities so thats on us.  Hope this gives an idea, its not cheap but is doable, how much is she wanting for home. I have moved homes 300 miles before but I got them for free or virtually. My guys arent the cheapest but they do great work and the cheapest is rarely the least expensive. I had a guy back one into another one (tight lots) and it was a freaking mess, yes he has insurance but still. 

@Eric F.  BTW if moving to a park they may give you a move in credit, but I would get ground and own it, less hassle. Around here you can get about 5k for moving a double wide. Mostly in hopes that you let the lot rent go unpaid and they get the trailer.

I offered 11k but I told her it was contingent on being able to move it for what I thought it would cost (5k or less). It is a 2004 3 bed 2 bath doublewide in immaculate condition. By far the nicest trailer I have ever been in. 

It might not be as good a deal as I thought. I was thinking I could owner finance it for 24k or so, but I am not positive yet (though I probably can). 

One thing you should do before you spend a dime is to make sure the Park Owner/manager will allow you to move the home in. If it was built before June 15, 1976 it's a Pre HUD home and most park owners don't want then moved in. In fact in California they're trying like crazy to get them out and replcaced with new ones. Gentrification is the name of the game in Cali with the proviso that the park community is in the path of progress.

@John Arendsen  The park I am considering I have a good relationship with the owner. I have two homes there already. We did discuss a move in credit a while ago and she told me she would be agreeable to one, but now we will really see if the owner and I come to an agreement. 

Honestly, this deal is not super great the more I think about it but I will make some money on it. If the seller accepts my offer and my final moving quote is where I think, plus I get move in credit, I will be fine with it, but I'm not going to be heartbroken if it falls apart either

@Eric F.  Usually, the cost to move and set up a doublewide can be double the price of moving and setting up a singlewide. Those I know who have done it have confirmed this statement. Best of luck! 

The most recommended mover in the area just quoted me ~5,500 to get the thing moved, and with permits, set up, getting the electrician and plumber out, and all that, possibly 10k total.

So I am out of this deal. Forget moving them I guess 

Eric, his prices were spot on. This can and usually is a deal breaker not to mention all the other manutia you have to deal with i.e. infrastructure, site prep, ancillary items, i.e. garage, driveways, etc and then all the bueauracratic crap you will be dealing with i.e. permits, inspections, myriad fees, etc. If your not in the MH biz it's best to stay out of the game.

The key is moving them to land you own where you can do all the hook ups yourself.  Around here the $5500 is close but on the higher side.  I figure another $1200 for materials for water and electric hookup and about $1000-$1500 for AC connection.  That is something I can't do unfortunately.  Getting it on an acre can put that age of home into the $70k-$80k range retail here or $850-$1000/month rent depending on home and land conditions.

Yep, its a bummer. The $5,000 I was working off was just to move it. None of the other factors were included in what I thought. Lesson learned I guess (at least not with my wallet hah)

Back to looking for more I don't have to move I guess

Some spot on comments above:)

1.  Age of home.

2.  Size of home.

3.  Axles, hitch and tires present?

4.  Does the home have any attachments, expando's or awnings that would make extra work?

5.  Is there anything in the way, like trees or electrical poles that will need to be moved to get the home off of the site?

6.  This is a BIG one, do you have a mover that knows what they are doing and who will do exactly what they say they will do?  Dealing with some of these folks can be challenging at best!  

Instead of walking away from the deal, it might be possible to flip it to a mobile home dealer or park owner that needs inventory and is moving homes all of the time anyhow.  Just a thought.  

I've moved Many homes over the last decade.
In the Seattle area I now pay $2500 tear down, $2500 set up, $1500 each half for transport 100 miles or less, tongues will run about $1,000, so will axle/wheels.
I've found to do it right - nice - new skirting and porches/steps - $4,000. Electrical hookup $500.
Here we need permits, site plans, etc. for new location - $200.
I use only fully licensed, bonded, insured contractors. Anything less is inviting disaster.
Don't forget insurance and misc.
Also, in WA if moving from one county to another a full year's advance personal property taxes must be paid.
I've also learned over the years that the number one reason people fail to make money on projects is failing to accurately predict costs.
Do your due dillegence my friend!

Thanks again everyone. She ended up selling it to her neighbor for more than my initial offer anyway, but now I know the true costs to factor.

I frequently move homes, and I typically pay roughly $2,000.00 to move and set only.  I go and disconnect utilities, remove skirting, etc.  Anything I can do to make it easier for the mover to just come in and grab it.  If you don't have axels, wheels, and a tongue, youll have to rent the mover's.  They try to get you for everything.  I have a good relationship with a mover and he's still tries to get over on me a little. 

It costs me roughly 1-2 grand to do full utility hook up pending existing problems that need to be fixed.  If your moving it to a park, are you renting it out to a tenant?  Is the park owner cool with that?  What's the lot rent?  What are you charging?  Honestly, for me to take a double wide off of someone, it better be a pretty damn good deal.  I typically find homes that are almost given to me (sometimes they are).  

If you are going to start getting into mh's, try it out on a singlewide, it took a bit, but I can rehab one well within PA Manufactured Homes Cert of Compliance guidelines for under five grand.  Nothing like rehabbing a house, it all depends what area you are in too.  If you loose money on one, at least it woulnt be a lot.. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here