Physically moving a house

5 Replies

I am purchasing my first mobile home park, closing this week. There is a small frame house on the property that I would like to move to a lot that I am purchasing as part of another deal. I have zero experience moving a house. I am located in south east Texas. Anyone have any kind of experience in this area?

Originally posted by @Corey Block:

I am purchasing my first mobile home park, closing this week. There is a small frame house on the property that I would like to move to a lot that I am purchasing as part of another deal. I have zero experience moving a house. I am located in south east Texas. Anyone have any kind of experience in this area?

I have worked with house movers and have hired them for myself. What would you like to know? Did you need some contacts or just a generalized info?

@Corey Block You may want to talk to a few companies who do this sort of thing in your area. Also, you may need to check regarding any permits you may need. Usually, you or the company you hire will need to file a moving permit for the move. Good luck! 

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

Mike, I would appreciate any contacts.   I have a few friends in the area that have moved houses and none of them would recommend the individual or company hired.  Also, if you have worked with house movers, any advice on things I should avoid or red flags with these guys?   By the way, the park is in Silsbee, TX and the house will be moved to another property in Silsbee.   

Originally posted by @Corey Block:

Mike, I would appreciate any contacts.   I have a few friends in the area that have moved houses and none of them would recommend the individual or company hired.  Also, if you have worked with house movers, any advice on things I should avoid or red flags with these guys?   By the way, the park is in Silsbee, TX and the house will be moved to another property in Silsbee.   

I almost missed your post. Try and quote my or tag me and I can get to you a little quicker. 

The one thing most all of them have in common is they take longer than they say lol. I will send you contacts that will come to your area. The bigger the job to faster they will get to you. On the 

other hand, if it's real small they can do it in a couple of days they may get to you quick. 

You will likely have cracked drywall and porches will have to be re-installed. Take this opportunity to upgrade your plumbing and electrical if needed. 

Do you think it will have to be cut in half? Roof cut off? How big is the footprint?