User Stats

Votes
Elliott Hord
Votes |
Cleveland 44128 Lee-Miles Area?

Elliott Hord
Posted May 18 2022, 10:08

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into investing in Cleveland and would like to see if anyone has more info into the general area of 44128, and especially here, the lee-miles area? Any thoughts, feedback welcome.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 18 2022, 12:42

Hi Elliott,

I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, born and raised, now living in Texas, but visit family there. The Lee -Miles areas is about a C- area. I too am looking to investing in my hometown, there are many good deals there, if you would like to JV or work together, I'd be happy to discuss further dynamics of the city.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Weiner
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, Oh
Replied May 18 2022, 12:53

I manage a number of single families in that area and those properties tend to do well.  Make sure to work with someone who deals with City of Cleveland properties because there are some local ordinances that you would want to make sure you are up to date with.  If you need some realtor referrals let me know.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shane Kelly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 18 2022, 13:05

Hey Elliot, I do a lot of leasing work in and around Lee-Miles and can say that there are parts to avoid. In particular the top left corner of Lee-Miles that borders Mt. Pleasant is the worst of them. Some of the areas near Maple Heights and Warrensville Heights have been quite good for our clients as of recently and rents can be over $1300. It is street by street in this area though, you would be surprised how much of a difference one street can make. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 18 2022, 13:14

This is definitely one of the better rental sections in the Cleveland area when you consider property stock and cost coupled with rental demand and  desirability of tenants.  The Lee-Miles area aka the Lee-Harvard area has a lot of mid 20th century built colonials and bungalows and the area remains heavily owner-occupied.  The fact that so many of the homes are owner occupied gives the neighborhood a nicer and safe ambience.  People care about their homes and their yards and tend to be vigilant in keeping rougher elements out.  Assuming the houses you are considering are fairly well kept, you should be able to do well over time.  Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Elliott Hord
Votes |
Replied May 18 2022, 16:19
Quote from @Jackie Jake:

Hi Elliott,

I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, born and raised, now living in Texas, but visit family there. The Lee -Miles areas is about a C- area. I too am looking to investing in my hometown, there are many good deals there, if you would like to JV or work together, I'd be happy to discuss further dynamics of the city.

Jackie, 

Thanks for the input, ill send you a DM and lets chat more!

User Stats

Votes
Elliott Hord
Votes |
Replied May 18 2022, 16:20
Quote from @Andrew Weiner:

I manage a number of single families in that area and those properties tend to do well.  Make sure to work with someone who deals with City of Cleveland properties because there are some local ordinances that you would want to make sure you are up to date with.  If you need some realtor referrals let me know.  

Thank you,

I'll def keep that in mind. Talk soon

User Stats

Votes
Elliott Hord
Votes |
Replied May 18 2022, 16:23
Quote from @Shane Kelly:

Hey Elliot, I do a lot of leasing work in and around Lee-Miles and can say that there are parts to avoid. In particular the top left corner of Lee-Miles that borders Mt. Pleasant is the worst of them. Some of the areas near Maple Heights and Warrensville Heights have been quite good for our clients as of recently and rents can be over $1300. It is street by street in this area though, you would be surprised how much of a difference one street can make. 

Shane,

I'm looking on 154th street.. maybe we can setup a time to speak over the phone?

User Stats

Votes
Elliott Hord
Votes |
Replied May 18 2022, 16:24
Quote from @Uri Gofman:

This is definitely one of the better rental sections in the Cleveland area when you consider property stock and cost coupled with rental demand and  desirability of tenants.  The Lee-Miles area aka the Lee-Harvard area has a lot of mid 20th century built colonials and bungalows and the area remains heavily owner-occupied.  The fact that so many of the homes are owner occupied gives the neighborhood a nicer and safe ambience.  People care about their homes and their yards and tend to be vigilant in keeping rougher elements out.  Assuming the houses you are considering are fairly well kept, you should be able to do well over time.  Best of luck!

URI,

thank you for your input... do you invest in Cleveland as well?

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Misch
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 18 2022, 17:09

As @Shane Kelly stated and is totally correct that the quality of the property and tenant can vary in this area. You definitely want to connect with someone knowledgeable in the area so they can speak to you with full honesty about the areas. 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Kelly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 18 2022, 18:43
Quote from @Elliott Hord:
Quote from @Shane Kelly:

Shane,

I'm looking on 154th street.. maybe we can setup a time to speak over the phone?

That's fine. Shoot me a PM. I'm happy to set something up.

User Stats

Votes
David Leggett
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 18 2022, 22:15
Lots of good advice!  I don't know if I would say it's C-, some would say this is D to D+ territory, but I think it's still viable and have several investor clients looking in this area and you there is some good cash flow.  You just have to make sure you have a good property management company in place.  Lots of Slimelord companies posing as legitimate companies out here, trust me I know.  And if you do the proper screening you can still find a good tenant and make it work. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 19 2022, 07:47
Quote from @Uri Gofman:

URI,

thank you for your input... do you invest in Cleveland as well?

Yes.  We have over 100 residential properties in the greater Cleveland area.  A lot of our holdings are in the suburbs but we also own homes in the Lee Harvard / Lee Miles area and have done well with them.

User Stats

Votes
Muhammad Amawi
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland
Replied May 19 2022, 13:50

Hey my name is Mo Amawi I'm an investor in Cleveland and would be happy to assist you. I'm a Cleveland native, my family is heavily invested in that area and I would be happy to chat. I have a good network of realtors I could get you in touch with as well.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 19 2022, 13:55
Quote from @David Leggett:
Lots of good advice!  I don't know if I would say it's C-, some would say this is D to D+ territory, but I think it's still viable and have several investor clients looking in this area and you there is some good cash flow.  You just have to make sure you have a good property management company in place.  Lots of Slimelord companies posing as legitimate companies out here, trust me I know.  And if you do the proper screening you can still find a good tenant and make it work. 

That's a fair point.  The area can range from D+ to C depending on street.  

User Stats

Votes
Timothy Murphy III
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied May 25 2022, 10:34

I'd echo the general sentiment of the other posts in this thread.... That neighborhood is one I would consider C to D caliber. The areas near the suburban borders trend more towards the C end of the spectrum, where the areas deeper into the city trend more towards the D range.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jul 10 2022, 06:19

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into investing in Cleveland and would like to see if anyone has more info into the general area of 44128, and especially here, the lee-miles area? Any thoughts, feedback welcome.

Thank you

Give The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods a read. It's got exactly what you're looking for.

User Stats

Votes
Erin Dorsey Robinson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 11 2022, 07:14

Hi Elliott,

You've already gotten a lot of good current info from other posters so I will offer a little bit of background info. Lee Miles is an interesting area from a historical standpoint. Part of that area was originally it's own city with it's own mayor before it was annexed to the city of Cleveland in the 1930s. It was a choice area for people who were moving out of the city of Cleveland looking to purchase their own homes and it still reflects a lot of that pride of ownership as another poster mentioned with regard to the care and maintenance of people's lawns and homes. As with anyplace, the area cannot be painted too broadly as one thing or another. You have to get a feel for it on a street by street basis as the character changes quickly.

The encyclopedia of Cleveland History is a good resource for learning more about specific pockets of Cleveland. Here is a link to the Lee-Harvard page in case you are interested.

Glad to discuss further. Feel free to email me directly if you want to chat about your strategy, the area or anything else you think I may be able to help with.

Best to you!

User Stats

Votes
Erin Dorsey Robinson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jul 11 2022, 07:18
Quote from @Jackie Jake:

Hi Elliott,

Jackie- I'm so glad to hear that you are considering investing in Cleveland. I work with so many people from other places but it seems that a lot of people in Cleveland are often not aware of the opportunity right here in our own backyard. I'm curious whether you considered investing in Cleveland before you moved to Texas or did you become aware that Cleveland was a good investment option after you got there?