Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Hurricane Ian slated to hit Cape Coral

Allen Wu
Posted

All - First time property owner in Cape Coral. Saw the news just now and looks like Ian is slated to hit Cape Coral directly. What typically happens if the eye of storm hits Cape Coral head on? I have property and flood insurance but am super worried. 

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied
Quote from @Allen Wu:

All - First time property owner in Cape Coral. Saw the news just now and looks like Ian is slated to hit Cape Coral directly. What typically happens if the eye of storm hits Cape Coral head on? I have property and flood insurance but am super worried. 

Hi Allen,

Depending on the age of your property, it's actually pretty likely that it's already sustained a direct hit from major hurricane Irma in 2017! Cape Coral fared very well against that storm as a whole, and it's not likely to be any different with Ian

Most of what you see from the news and media is highly dramatized and has little merit. Although there is potential for damage, as long as you have sufficient insurance coverage, you will come out of this in the long run without issue

User Stats

Votes
Corey Morrison
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied

Allen, 

I agree with Stetson. I live in Cape Coral. When this is over, I will be happy to drive by your properties and send pictures if it makes you feel any better.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Julio
Pro Member
  • Cape coral
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cape coral
Replied
Quote from @Corey Morrison:

Allen, 

I agree with Stetson. I live in Cape Coral. When this is over, I will be happy to drive by your properties and send pictures if it makes you feel any better.

Same here guys, happy to help the out of state people to drive their properties! Stay safe 

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Carlos Julio:
Quote from @Corey Morrison:

Allen, 

Same here guys, happy to help the out of state people to drive their properties! Stay safe 

Wow! Love the community! We do not get this out west. More tempted to move to Cape! Thanks so much, I’ll have my property manager check. Appreciate you offering! Stay safe! 

User Stats

Votes
Cj Powderhorn
  • Investor
  • Utah
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Utah
Replied

Hey CC locals

Just wondering if anyone has been in the 33990 zip since the storm. I’m just a bit North of the Thrive Center on 801 SE 5th. I know some roads are impassable but just thought I’d check in here in case anyone is out and about.

thanks,

Cj

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied
Quote from @Cj Powderhorn:

Hey CC locals

Just wondering if anyone has been in the 33990 zip since the storm. I’m just a bit North of the Thrive Center on 801 SE 5th. I know some roads are impassable but just thought I’d check in here in case anyone is out and about.

thanks,

Cj

I don't think I drove down SE 5th Ave yesterday, but I was all over 33990. Lots of downed power lines, traffic lights missing, and blown off roof shingles. Overall though, I didn't see any buildings completely destroyed or anything like that 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Newswanger
  • Kalona, IA
Votes |
  • Kalona, IA
Replied

If anyone happens to get down SE 26th terrace right by veterans and Santa Barbara I would be much obliged to know what damage there was. I have not been able to get any updates as of yet on my property there. 

User Stats

Votes
Bethany Primeaux
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied

To those of you offering to check on people's homes...thanks you!!! My home town and families dealt with hurricane Laura in 2020 and these were the kinds of actions I saw over and over again. Communities coming together. Its so amazing. We have a few lots in Cape Coral, but nothing in the construction phase yet. But I am curious how the gator circle area fared? Im guessing better than most being further north and east but this information will help me better understand what to be prepared for and expect as a landlord in the future. And please for anyone living in Cape Coral, if you here of specific needs, please reach out. I know so many people helped Lake Charles in 2020 and Im sure the BP community may have some investors who are willing help in whatever ways they can, myself included. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Dombrowski
  • Investor
  • Ft Myers, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Ft Myers, FL
Replied

Hey CC locals

thanks,

Cj

33990 checking in. Most properties fared ok and have missing shingles, blown out screens, uprooted trees, soffit/gutter damage, etc. Possible glass damage or water intrusion if not properly prepped (shutters, etc) and unlucky. If you have a pool it’s full of debris. If you left the pool pump running it might have issues. Depending on if your pool cage was replaced after Irma it may be destroyed. 

User Stats

Votes
David Vanlandingham
  • Investor
  • Orlando FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando FL
Replied

I work for a builder in Cape Coral, none of our current builds or recently completed builds had any damage. Lots of debris and clean up but under the circumstances we did good!

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Julio
Pro Member
  • Cape coral
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Cape coral
Replied
Quote from @Bethany Primeaux:

To those of you offering to check on people's homes...thanks you!!! My home town and families dealt with hurricane Laura in 2020 and these were the kinds of actions I saw over and over again. Communities coming together. Its so amazing. We have a few lots in Cape Coral, but nothing in the construction phase yet. But I am curious how the gator circle area fared? Im guessing better than most being further north and east but this information will help me better understand what to be prepared for and expect as a landlord in the future. And please for anyone living in Cape Coral, if you here of specific needs, please reach out. I know so many people helped Lake Charles in 2020 and Im sure the BP community may have some investors who are willing help in whatever ways they can, myself included. 

Hi Bethany,  I live in front of this area and have a rental property in gator circle. The area is good compared to others, cable's down in some parts and  non major flood anywhere.  My property didn't suffer a y damaged , although there are some properties that have some damage in the shingles but nothing I would say catastrophic.  In my opinion this is a safe area for future in terms of weather events

dm if you have any other questions,  happy to connect 

User Stats

Votes
Terri-Leigh H.
  • Interior Decorator
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Interior Decorator
  • Denver
Replied
Quote from @Jonathan Newswanger:

If anyone happens to get down SE 26th terrace right by veterans and Santa Barbara I would be much obliged to know what damage there was. I have not been able to get any updates as of yet on my property there. 

We are near.

No flood, pool cage completely ripped off, crack in wall and all trees gone. But the inside is immaculate!
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Wight
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied

What are of Cape Coral had more damage? Are the FEMA flood zones a good indicator of risk?

I have a property under construction just starting to go vertical on NW 2nd street. And a friend with a lot on NW 25th ln. I guess I don’t have much there to worry about right now, but would like to know how those areas fared.

As mentioned previously, it’s so kind of locals to offer help to long distance investors. If there is any relief needed please let us know.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Davis
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied

My son and I were in South Cape Coral yesterday checking on clients and there was widespread tree damage, power poles down, street signs and traffic signs down, business signage destroyed, fences and gutter downspouts down, numerous pool enclosures destroyed or with torn and missing screens, roof shingle, tree and other debris was strewn everywhere. I was surprised to see no flooding left behind. The weather since the hurricane has been sunny and less humid which is ideal for drying out the area and preventing mold from getting a foothold as no one's AC is running, unless you have a generator. We didn't see any collapsed structures and only a handful of exposed plywood on roofs where shingles and underlayment were torn off. We did see the occasional boat tossed onto a lawn or road. My assistant lives in the north Cape and she described the same though not as severe, especially among the newer constructed homes with newer roofs which fared pretty well. She did report seeing a couple homes with well equipment damage such as tanks toppled over, missing lids, broken PVC pipes. Most roads appeared to be cleared and there was a lot of traffic with long lines at the few open gas stations, particularly in Fort Myers. We happened upon a roofer I know and their company has crews working throughout the city tarping roofs. If anyone needs that done, PM me for their info. Best wishes to all!

User Stats

Votes
Don M.
Votes |

Thanks to all who contributed here.  My thoughts go out to everyone living in and with property in SWFL (or other affected areas), especially those who have experiences loss of any kind.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
Votes |
Replied

Hey CC locals

thanks,

Cj

I’m not too far from you. Another user posted this map….. you can at least see from top view of your home to see if safe or not. 

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/st...

User Stats

Votes
Allen Wu
Votes |
Replied

Is anyone near SE 9th court by country club blvd? Have a place on SE 9th court by the pet hospital and want to see how that area fared. Thanks all!