Guidance on primary residence home equity

Guidance on primary residence home equity

Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 3 votes

I have a HUGE amount of equity (over 1 million) in my primary residence.  I am in a great position; however, I am not sure what to do and have thought of a few options:

Option 1: Keep home and do nothing; however, I would not be able to realize the equity, but I have home security as I live in a great location.

Option 2: Cash out refinance-Interest rates would be higher than my current 4.25% and refinance calculators show it is not a good option based on what I currently owe and years remaining on loan.

Option 3: Sell house and realize the equity to reinvest. I would rent until I find something to purchase.

Option 4: Keep house, rent it out, but I would need to refinance to extend the term and lower my monthly payments, again, interest rate would increase as would interest I would have to pay longterm.


I am hoping I could receive guidance that will help me make a decision.

Thank you so much for your time.

Tracie

1Reply
63 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Providence, RI · Member since 2022 · 404 posts · 262 votes
3y

Instead of refinancing you could open a HELOC to tap into the equity to use to invest into other properties. I am not sure of your goals whether it be more capital or cash flow but the options would be plentiful with $800k at your disposal.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Gilroy, CA · Member since 2016 · 255 posts · 72 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tracie Soder:

    Good idea...I will definitely look into this as this is something I have not yet heard of as an option.


    Make another post to ask the bp community. You may find someone on here who knows more about this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.