• Chicago
Votes |
Letter to owner of vacant lot next door

Kayla D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chicago
Posted Mar 10 2023, 18:46

Hey all! 

I purchased a new construction multi unit about 6 months ago and I’m next to 2 vacant lots. Both are privately, but separately owned, one is maintained and the other is not. The one closest to me is the neglected plot of land and I really want it. I’m in Woodlawn and there are new builds popping up all over, so I’m sure I’m not the only one interested. 

I’ve found the owner, per tax records and reached out via email before - but no response. He appears to live out of state and up until November, was 2-3 years delinquent on the property taxes. I know this because I tried to bid during the 2020 tax sale and he paid right before. However, someone had already bought the 2019 taxes so I’m not sure how that part works. As of today, taxes are paid up but the lot is an ugly eye site filled with debris and dead trees - and I just want to buy and clean up, extend my yard and hold.

Any recommendations on hours to best approach. I found a few out If State addresses for the listed owner that I want to send  letter to - just not sure what to say to get his attention. I was thinking about getting a few quotes from some lawn companies to estimate the clean up, and provide that as a way to demonstrate my seriousness in maintain the lot - but I don’t seem him being someone who actually cares about the land itself. 

Appreciate any thoughts or input! 

Thanks 

Loading replies...