Closing Costs

7 Replies

Hi Guys & Gals

I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb guide maybe a percentage to closing costs.

I'm thinking about Illinois and a SFH of around $200k in case this is relevant, it probably is :-) No mortgage either.

Thanks in advance

Chris

How much without financing Aaron ?

Good link thanks

@Chris Jerome

check with your local title company who handles closings daily, they will be good source to give you accurate figures for your area.

Hi @Chris Jerome

These are the notes I took from a duplex I bought at the end of last year for around a 100K in Illinois

Closing Costs: $3874.06 which also included $1,111.62 in initial deposit into Escrow and $728.50 for 1 year of homeowners insurance. With these 2 items removed the closing costs were $2033.94.

Good Luck!

@Chris Jerome

My mortgage broker told me 4-5% so I use 4.5% to calculate closing costs. This is on the a little on the conservative side but it works for me.

These 3-5% numbers aren't relevant to a cash sale. It is area dependent on who "normally" pays for title insurance, transfer taxes, etc. as David said, talk to a local title co. Buyer closing costs here on a cash sale, typically $500-$700, or less.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here