Getting work done on a house which was empty for months and I bought!

9 Replies

Hi,

I could not find the right category for my question and therefore landed it under buying/selling.

However, this is a property that I recently bought and now need to ready it up.

It was vacant for couple of months as I am told. Want to hold this property. Planning to get all the following done.

1. Floor replacement from carpet to wood in living /kitchen and replacing carpet in bedrooms.

2. Complete paint inside the house.

3. Kitchen small changes around kitchen. Remoing an extended area of cabinets and tidying it up and replace all appliances.

4. Check water/electricity and see if it requires any work.

My dilemma is which one to start on first and then follow up on next task?

If I give it out to One GC, what are the things I "should & must" include as part of agreement?

Advise/help appreciated.

Hi @Naveen Desai

I am new to investing, but I probably wouldn't hire a GC for this small of a remodel (I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong). Most of what you are doing is cosmetic. Personally, I think you can get better prices by getting multiple bids yourself. Just make sure you get referrals and check references on the contractors you use. I also wouldn't pay until the job is complete.

@kimh is right. Small jobs you should attempt to have handy person types handle. There are some reasonable priced General Contractors that will take on small jobs depends on the work available in your area. I would ask around your local area, supply houses, paint stores, lumber yards, realtors, etc Having said what I have said, I only hire individuals who carry the required insurances. Everything is in writing, scope of work, when they get paid, how they get paid, etc. theyt need workmans comp and general liability insurance, in the case of workmans comp they can provided a waiver. Don't take chances as you have a lot to loose. I have them sign a waiver of liens when I pay them. Avoid as many headaches as you can. Not a legal opinion, just food for thought.

@John Moore I like the advise on having contractors sign a waiver of liens. I've never thought of that because I always (probably narrow-mindedly) feel that when I have paid the final bill it's not something I need to worry about. It's probably a good practice to put in place just to protect your assets a little more.

I own mid sized construction company but for this small amount of work I wouldn't hire one. I would hire a handyman by advertising the job on craigslist. Make sure to put in the advertisement that the worker must have workers compensation and general liability insurance. $18 to $20/hr would be fair.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your tips and response.

part of my question is still open. What should be the order of work done.

Paint first or flooring first?

Or electrical and water first, followed by flooring and then paint?

Thanks,

N.

@Naveen Desai I would start with plumbing and electric.. then kitchen, flooring and paint.

I do the following order

Electric

Plumbing

Paint

Flooring

Naveen,

The best place to start is the demo(demolition) remove everthing that will be replaced(kitchen, carpet, floors, appliances etc..)after that you work your way from the back to the front so you dont have to enter a room after it is done to get to the next room.

I don't know the lay out but it is usually the kitchen. Start with the paint then floors then cabinets and appliances. If you are hiring a painter then just have them paint the entire house first at onces. you want to start with the paint first so it does fall all over your appliances and flooring/carpet. Some will disagree though since most do the paint as a finishing touch and just cover the floors.

Given a choice, always paint before replacing flooring. Not always practical, but it saves the effort of protecting the flooring. You may have to do a little touch up at the end, but that's easier than protecting a complete floor.

A good general is "never work over finished work".

Don't scrimp on demo. If you need access to plumbing or electric, just get the drywall out of the way. A 2' by 2' patch is not much more work than a 6" by 6" hole.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here