How it's Done in Detroit -

4 Replies

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140529/METRO01/305290038/Detroit-spends-8-7-million-flip-30-homes-bring-2-million

@Joshua Dorkin I think you need to check this out! Detoit, government officials, and profits don't seem to fit well in a sentence, but in this case they do.

Can these Detroit officials be brought on a podcast and shown some love? The $20 dollar bill in my pocket is sizzling. How about yours?

In all seriousness~ How?!?!

that's how we roll in the D. Stupid stupid people

Ok - while this is sad and is something that really angers me as a taxpayer, I've got to say I'm not surprised.

The real problem is that the people we elect are primarily talented at getting elected. As a general rule anyone who has even reasonably marketable skills stays out of elected office and quietly goes about building a fortune in business. And those who later desire elected office tend to have motives unrelated to benefiting the taxpayers.

I can picture, and am academically sympathetic towards, how this happened in Detroit - but I cannot excuse it.

The Concept was superficially sound: We Will Revitalize An Area. But the underlying issue (insufficient job structure) is not addressed. People with a sound and stable job paying a viable wage will revitalize their own areas without outside stimulus. After all; that is how and why those homes were built originally.

But with the government focused on the icing and ignoring the cake and spending someone else's money - and very likely pimping the work to rapacious contractor 'friends' of theirs - here we are. <g>

stephen

---------------

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here