Sorry for the melodramatic title but what does one do when a listing agent appears to have dropped off the face of the planet?
In this situation, the offer has been submitted by email at 10K over list price.
5 days after initially emailing the listing agent, she still has not repsonded.
After calling her all day, every day, she still does not answer her phone.
When you call her office, they direct you to simply call her mobile.
Follow up emails to her with tracking on them, go unopened.
As I'm overseas and unable to physically wait in her office for her to turn up (assuming she's still alive), how would one go about contacting the agent and trying to buy the house?
I would pull out a copy of your listing agreement and read through causes for cancellation. I would also talk to her broker about it.
call the broker
Dion, I think you misunderstood; I'm trying to buy the property, not sell it.
Yea, I got confused there though you were selling.
Call the broker still and tell them you placed an offer and have not heard a response of any kind from the agent. You would like to think offers over list price would manage to get somebody's attention.
@Nat Chan Are you an agent? If so in my state all formal offers must be submitted to the owner within 24 hrs, there is likely a similar regulation where you live. If you are not an agent unfortunately simply emailing the listing agent your offer does not work. I would suggest you find a buyers agent to submit your offer through and then once again there should be period of time in which that offer must be presented to the sell and you should receive and decision fairly quick.
Shawn, I am not an agent. The offer was submitted formally through a buyers agent.
According to email tracking, the listing agent is not opening emails in her inbox.
I would contact the Broker
@Nat Chan put the pressure on your agent to get answers. Your agent needs to do something to make sure you get the deal. A good agent will not stop at "we cant find the listing agent" If someone offers 10K over ask through me I will go to the listing office with the offer if I have to.
Agreed, your agent is the one who should be getting that offer through.
I have delivered offers personally many times to an agent's broker when the agent thinks less is more.
In all likelihood, she's accepted another offer. It's endlessly frustrating, but a lot of agents (and other professionals) just drop off the face of the planet when they decide to go with someone else instead of just saying so. It might be worth asking for the principal broker at her office to file a complaint. I've never gone that route, but it would certainly get her attention.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing