• Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Would You buy from a Criminal?

Shuai Zeng
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 18 2014, 15:47

So, I'm working on a current deal atm with lease to own. I'm not 100% if it is the same person or not. You all know hot the world of wonderful internet is. You type in someone name, and something might pop up. So today I thought I just look up their name to see if something comes up. Guess what? First name is mortgage fraud new from a city near by. I'm not 100% sure if it is same person, but what would you do in this situation? I have asked them to provide owner information so I can do a background check....but if everything is legit, should I proceed? 

"13 months in prison for lying on applications for loans he knew he couldn't afford."

User Stats

Votes
Deborah Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Jul 18 2014, 16:19

Why would you care who the seller is?  Unless you're doing seller financing or something like that?

User Stats

Votes
Deborah Smith
  • Chandler, AZ
Votes |
  • Chandler, AZ
Replied Jul 18 2014, 16:19

Oh - gotcha.  Missed the lease to own part. 

Well, I would definitely check him out.  If it's the same person, run, and don't give any personal info.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Shuai Zeng
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 18 2014, 16:23

No, the Deed is a General Warranty deed under another person trust. But I have no ideal what trust that is.

User Stats

Votes
Adam F
  • Mount Vernon, WA
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, WA
Replied Jul 18 2014, 16:26

no.

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 18 2014, 16:29

Don't trust what you read on the internet do your due diligence.

Joe Gore

User Stats

Votes
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Votes |
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Replied Jul 18 2014, 16:59

Sounds to me like you are conflicted by a choice between moving forward in a deal that you're not very experienced with and a "black box" situation concerning a trust. 

"A confused mind says no." Yours should, too.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 18 2014, 17:22

As you advance in RE you may find that you'll be dealing with all kinds of criminals, need to define criminal, those caught and charged, found guilty and paid their dues or a criminal who cheats, lies, deceives, pulls unlawful acts and hasn't been formally caught? We have several criminals on site, IMO, just depends on how you define them. I bought properties from a guy in prison for  conspiracy to commit murder, he was on title, there were no issues with the transaction. I bought them to help his wife out, not for him. Stay in RE long enough and you'll find the lowest life forms in business, doesn't mean you can't buy from them, you just need to be wiser than they are. If you refuse to deal with cheats, you'll be disqualifying maybe a third of the buyers and sellers, learn to deal with them and clean their clock in the process.  Good luck. :)