• Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
What should I do?

Michael Beinetti
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Posted Aug 16 2014, 17:56

I have a gorgeous duplex in a nice neighborhood in Rochester, NY.  It was the first house I ever bought (note: sentimental value) and it has been a great property to own.  

Some of the specs: Two family, Boston style. 1 bedroom downstairs rented at $800/month and upstairs with a 2/3 bedrooms rented at $915 (under-rented as the tenants have been there 6+ years and my rent hikes have been slow in coming). The house is in good condition with the only major improvement looming ahead is a new roof. I have around $40k in equity in the property (Market approx. $135k and loan bal. $95k) and 20 years left on an FHA mortgage. There are a variety of things I could do....but I'm not sure what is best. I'm curious what other people would do. Here are my ideas.

>Sell.  Hopefully for the full market value (minus noted pending roof repair) and cash out.

>Refi. Problem is the house will most likely appraise around $130k-$140k and the few lenders I've spoken to need a lower LTV for the investment refi's. Understandable. Not definitely an option right now.

>Keep it. Get the rent up where it needs to be. Get the roof done. Refi in a few years to a 15yr conventional and keep it rollin'.

If I cash out (option 1) I would like to turn around and reinvest in additional property.  So the thought isn't to bail on the investment, but to use it as a catalyst....the questions are for what and when.

Other options?  Any input is greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...